Football, Sports

N’Kosi Perry named starting quarterback against Virginia

In Wednesday’s post-practice press conference, head coach Manny Diaz announced that redshirt sophomore N’Kosi Perry will start Friday’s game against No. 20 Virginia.

Diaz also said that Jarren Williams, who has started all of Miami’s games this season, is “dealing with an upper extremity issue that leaves him less than 100 percent.” Williams did not participate in drills during Tuesday’s practice and was throwing independently on the side.

“We think N’Kosi gives us a chance to win,” Diaz said. “I think we all saw last Saturday the improvement in his game and we are excited to get behind him, to rally behind him and find a way to beat a very well-coached and tough-minded Virginia team.”

N'Kosi throw 2.0.jpg

N'Kosi Perry throws a pass after replacing Jarren Williams as quarterback in Miami's 42-35 loss to Virginia Tech last week. Photo credit: Josh Halper

Perry replaced Williams at quarterback last Saturday against Virginia Tech after Williams started the game by throwing three interceptions on three consecutive drives. Perry stayed at quarterback for the remainder of the game and threw for 422 yards with four touchdowns and one interception. In the post-game press conference, Diaz said that Williams was healthy enough to play, but made the decision to keep Perry in.

“I just want to get a win for the team,” Perry said after practice on Wednesday. “We need to get that feeling back so we can get used to winning.”

Isabella Didio

The University of Miami student publications were recognized with multiple awards by the Society for

Hoping to ease hurdles for students to apply to master’s and doctoral programs, a new policy will re

Immunologist Natasa Strbo and her team are using their work on vaccines for HIV, malaria, and Zika t

Xavier Cortada leads the Miami Corona Project, an art program presented as part of the University of

University of Miami Libraries has launched Documenting COVID-19: South Florida’s Pandemic Experience