News, Student Organization

J Street U Miami Brings Conversation about Israel-Palestine Relations to Campus

J Street U Miami, the University of Miami chapter of the national organization J Street, will be hosting the “Where the 2020 Presidential Candidates Stand on Israel and Palestine Relations” on Thursday, Oct. 10 at 8 p.m.

According to the official organization’s website, J Street mobilizes pro-Israel and pro-peace Americans “who want Israel to be secure, democratic and the national home of the Jewish people.”

J Street U Miami was founded by sophomore Jonah Karsh in April 2019 and made public in August. The organization emphasizes that it is both pro-Israel and pro-Palestine. It wants to bring awareness to both sides of the conflict and begin the conversation.

“We’re a new organization,” said Karsh, a sophomore studying Jazz Piano and Performance “We are working towards bringing awareness and peace between Palestine and Israel through various political means.”

Although J Street focuses primarily on pro-Israel politics, Karsh emphasizes that not including the Palestinian perspective “holds back the peace process.”

The Thursday event is an educational and non-biased presentation where the student members will discuss the various aspects involving Israel and Palestine relations in American politics. It will be a student-run event where guests can listen and partake in discussions regarding the positions held by the major presidential democratic candidates on Israel and Palestine in addition to President Donald Trump’s stance.

Food will be provided at the event.

IF YOU GO:

Who: J Street U Miami

What: Discussion on where 2020 presidential Democratic candidates stand on Israel/Palestine relations.

When: Thursday, Oct. 8 at 8 p.m.

Where: Vista Room on the 3rd floor of Shalala Student Center

Naomi Feinstein

Professor Brian Lynch received the award for Best Large Jazz Ensemble, which featured students and a ...

United by their personal memories of an international icon, people around the world mourn the sudden ...

Generational researcher and adviser Corey Seemiller shared insights during a recent talk on Generati ...

A new lab at the School of Architecture provides an area to study and teach how timber can be used i ...

A large number of University of Miami students attended the final day of the symposium, and a few sh ...

Both D'Eriq King and Quincy Roche bring glittering resumes to Miami. Now, they say they're ...

Junior forward Tia Dupont garners conference accolades for the first time. ...

CBS4 reporter Lisa Petrillo will serve as the emcee of the sixth annual Celebration of Women's ...

After a pair of games in the Tar Heel State, the Miami men's basketball team returns home Tuesd ...

Alex Toral and Slade Cecconi were recognized as some of the top players in the country ahead of the ...