J Street U Miami Brings Conversation about Israel-Palestine Relations to Campus

J Street U Miami, the University of Miami chapter of the national organization J Street, will be hosting the “Where the 2020 Presidential Candidates Stand on Israel and Palestine Relations” on Thursday, Oct. 10 at 8 p.m.

According to the official organization’s website, J Street mobilizes pro-Israel and pro-peace Americans “who want Israel to be secure, democratic and the national home of the Jewish people.”

J Street U Miami was founded by sophomore Jonah Karsh in April 2019 and made public in August. The organization emphasizes that it is both pro-Israel and pro-Palestine. It wants to bring awareness to both sides of the conflict and begin the conversation.

“We’re a new organization,” said Karsh, a sophomore studying Jazz Piano and Performance “We are working towards bringing awareness and peace between Palestine and Israel through various political means.”

Although J Street focuses primarily on pro-Israel politics, Karsh emphasizes that not including the Palestinian perspective “holds back the peace process.”

The Thursday event is an educational and non-biased presentation where the student members will discuss the various aspects involving Israel and Palestine relations in American politics. It will be a student-run event where guests can listen and partake in discussions regarding the positions held by the major presidential democratic candidates on Israel and Palestine in addition to President Donald Trump’s stance.

Food will be provided at the event.

IF YOU GO:

Who: J Street U Miami

What: Discussion on where 2020 presidential Democratic candidates stand on Israel/Palestine relations.

When: Thursday, Oct. 8 at 8 p.m.

Where: Vista Room on the 3rd floor of Shalala Student Center