Campus Life, News

School of Nursing and Health Studies professor wins prestigious award

rosina cianelli.jpg

Rosina Cianelli, an associate professor and graduate nursing program director at the University of Miami, is the 2019 recipient of the William R. Jones Outstanding Mentor Award. Cianelli will receive her award at the McKnight Doctoral Fellowship awards at 10 a.m. on October 13th in Tampa, Florida.

“This award is unique and was something I didn’t expect…this is the most significant award I’ve won,” said Cianelli.

The William R. Jones Outstanding Mentor Award is the highest award given by the McKnight Fellowship program. The award is handed out annually to one Florida professor to recognize their mentorship work with the McKnight Fellowship program, an organization that provides scholarships to African American and Hispanic students pursuing doctorate degrees in all fields of study.

When Cianelli got the opportunity to work with the McKnight Doctoral Fellowship at the School of Nursing and Health Studies, she immediately jumped at the opportunity to work closely with Hispanic women pursuing a career in the medical field.

“Only 11% of nurses are from minority groups,” said Cianelli.

Cianelli, who is from Chile, said that she always knew she wanted to be a nurse and to help others when she grew up. Through the McKnight Doctoral Fellowship program, Cianelli has been able to direct and mentor students toward their career goals.

“My job is sometimes demanding, but it’s such a fulfillment to see my students succeed beyond the classroom,” said Cianelli.

Even though Cianelli has received the highest award, she plans to continue her work at the McKnight Doctoral Fellowship program. Cianelli said that it is easy to work alone, but she is much more comfortable working with and mentoring her students.

Read more information on the McKnight Doctoral Fellowship here: https://bit.ly/2nqHeas

Jabria Roscoe

The University of Miami student publications were recognized with multiple awards by the Society for

Hoping to ease hurdles for students to apply to master’s and doctoral programs, a new policy will re

Immunologist Natasa Strbo and her team are using their work on vaccines for HIV, malaria, and Zika t

Xavier Cortada leads the Miami Corona Project, an art program presented as part of the University of

University of Miami Libraries has launched Documenting COVID-19: South Florida’s Pandemic Experience