Campus Life, News

School of Nursing and Health Studies professor wins prestigious award

rosina cianelli.jpg

Rosina Cianelli, an associate professor and graduate nursing program director at the University of Miami, is the 2019 recipient of the William R. Jones Outstanding Mentor Award. Cianelli will receive her award at the McKnight Doctoral Fellowship awards at 10 a.m. on October 13th in Tampa, Florida.

“This award is unique and was something I didn’t expect…this is the most significant award I’ve won,” said Cianelli.

The William R. Jones Outstanding Mentor Award is the highest award given by the McKnight Fellowship program. The award is handed out annually to one Florida professor to recognize their mentorship work with the McKnight Fellowship program, an organization that provides scholarships to African American and Hispanic students pursuing doctorate degrees in all fields of study.

When Cianelli got the opportunity to work with the McKnight Doctoral Fellowship at the School of Nursing and Health Studies, she immediately jumped at the opportunity to work closely with Hispanic women pursuing a career in the medical field.

“Only 11% of nurses are from minority groups,” said Cianelli.

Cianelli, who is from Chile, said that she always knew she wanted to be a nurse and to help others when she grew up. Through the McKnight Doctoral Fellowship program, Cianelli has been able to direct and mentor students toward their career goals.

“My job is sometimes demanding, but it’s such a fulfillment to see my students succeed beyond the classroom,” said Cianelli.

Even though Cianelli has received the highest award, she plans to continue her work at the McKnight Doctoral Fellowship program. Cianelli said that it is easy to work alone, but she is much more comfortable working with and mentoring her students.

Read more information on the McKnight Doctoral Fellowship here: https://bit.ly/2nqHeas

Jabria Roscoe

Instead of in-person celebrations at Hard Rock Stadium, President Julio Frenk announced that the University of Miami will hold its four observances online because of updated COVID-19 data. ...

The newly chartered Peruvian Students Association seeks to expand its impact and influence beyond campus, supporting protests against education cutbacks in the South American country and connecting students across the United States to their Andean roots. ...

Leyna Stemle found that by attaching green LED lights to fishing nets in Ghana, the illumination was able to divert most of the reptiles from becoming entangled and hurt. ...

As the world observes the 32nd annual World AIDS Day, a University of Miami team is shining a bright light on a neighborhood initiative to curtail the epidemic. ...

With the acquisition of the new instrument and an accompanying nanoindenter, studies at the College of Engineering are entering a new and advanced era of materials characterization. ...