Soccer, Sports

Miami ties with Pitt in ACC home opener

The Canes women’s soccer team fought hard through two halves and an overtime period but could not pull away. They tied 3-3 with University of Pittsburgh on Sunday night, remaining winless for their first three games of ACC play.

“It sucks,” defender Selena Fortich said after the game. “They played a good game, and they fought back, but I definitely think we should have come out on top with a win.”

Miami was on the board early in the game on a goal from senior Bayleigh Chaviers. She raced up the left side of the field before cutting back towards the goal and kicked what appeared to be a cross, but her shot found the back of the net just two minutes and 51 seconds into the game.

Tia Dupont.jpg

Tia Dupont (23) splits between two of Pitt's defenders. Dupont had one assist in the game Photo credit: Jared Lennon

The score would remain 1-0 for the rest of the half. Both teams put up five shots in the first 45 minutes of regulation gameplay.

After the break, Miami scored in the 49th minute. This time, Michelle Giamportone scored on a cross from Tia Dupont. Dupont passed the ball to Kristina Fisher before it made its way to Giamportone and into the goal.

Four minutes later, Pitt got its first goal of the game by Sydney Marasco. Shortly after, a goal from Anna Rico evened the score to 2-2.

In the 71st minute, Pitt goalie Katherine Robinson came out of the goal in attempt to make a stop, allowing Fortich to handle a pass from Ine Østmo and punch it past the goalie for the Canes’ third goal of the game. Fortich’s goal was the first of her career.

“I honestly had no idea it went in,” Fortich said. “I was like, ‘Oh my god, I scored.’ But it felt good to get us on top and hopefully more to come.”

Despite the two goals scored in the second half, Miami took only three shots, which paled in comparison to Pitt’s nine.

Michelle Giamportone.jpg

Michelle Giamportone (7) attempts to dribble past a Pitt player. Photo credit: Jared Lennon

“I think we kind of fell back a little in the second half and they were definitely dominating,” Chaviers said.

Pitt’s Marasco tallied her second goal of the game with four minutes left in regulation, tying the game up at 3-3.

The teams entered overtime with a tie, and the score would remain that way for the two 10-minute periods. Miami was able to put up five shots, overshooting Pitt by three goals, but the teams were both unsuccessful in scoring.

The Hurricanes will play Virginia in their next game at Cobb Stadium on Friday, Oct. 4 at 8 p.m.

Isabella Didio

With technology developed at UM, aerospace engineer GeCheng Zha hopes to usher in a new era of urban ...

The second meeting of the Hemispheric University Consortium in Jamaica added new members and worked ...

Alumna Diana Donnarumma received a multi-organ transplant and is now working to help others who suff ...

Renovations to the School of Architecture’s library doubled its footprint, offering students a place ...

Through Project MMAGIC, assistant professor of psychology Sannisha Dale will analyze how snide comme ...

Hurricanes legend Bernie Kosar was among those Hall of Fame inductees, record setters and NFL stando ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team turned in a stellar performance competi ...

Hurricanes are set to open competition at the ITA Southeast Regional Championship on Thursday. ...

Freshmen Kenza Salgues and Moulayna Johnson Sidi Baba, UM's two newest international players, a ...

Head women's basketball coach Katie Meier and the Miami Hurricanes hosted 135 local fans for th ...