Campus Life, News

School of Law hosts annual mock admissions panel

lawschooool.png

Prospective law school students listen to application tips from admissions counselors

The University of Miami School of Law hosted its annual mock admission panel on Sept. 27.

During the event, prospective law students had the opportunity to meet and talk to current first-year and second-year students. The conversations were about application tips, questions regarding the classes, their schedule and the differences between college and law school.

“Don’t believe those rumors that law school is the end of the world. It is harder than college, but at UM they help students out a lot, said Jae Hackaba, a second-year law student.

During the second part of the event, prospective applicants went to an auditorium where four admission counselors, Marcey Cox, Alex Schimel, Therese Lambert and Joseph Matthews, reviewed four law school applications. The admission counselors went through the applicants’ personal statements, LSAT scores, GPAs, letters of recommendation and resumes. One of the aspects they emphasized is that even though that GPA and LSAT scores are very important, those two factors are not the only determinants.

Cox emphasized applicants should not lie on their applications. If there are any acts of academic misconduct, misdemeanors or even traffic violations, applicants should write an addendum not only talking about the issue but explaining why it happened and how they have learned from it.

“I am really happy I came for this event, I am relieved to know that UM’s Law School, does consider other factors besides scores since my GPA is a little below average,” Gino Trulli, a senior at the University of Central Florida.”

Victoria Anzola

With technology developed at UM, aerospace engineer GeCheng Zha hopes to usher in a new era of urban ...

The second meeting of the Hemispheric University Consortium in Jamaica added new members and worked ...

Alumna Diana Donnarumma received a multi-organ transplant and is now working to help others who suff ...

Renovations to the School of Architecture’s library doubled its footprint, offering students a place ...

Through Project MMAGIC, assistant professor of psychology Sannisha Dale will analyze how snide comme ...

Hurricanes legend Bernie Kosar was among those Hall of Fame inductees, record setters and NFL stando ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team turned in a stellar performance competi ...

Hurricanes are set to open competition at the ITA Southeast Regional Championship on Thursday. ...

Freshmen Kenza Salgues and Moulayna Johnson Sidi Baba, UM's two newest international players, a ...

Head women's basketball coach Katie Meier and the Miami Hurricanes hosted 135 local fans for th ...