Community, Edge, Music

BisCaydence a cappella brings harmony to UM

The University of Miami’s award-winning a cappella group, BisCaydence, has been busy juggling new songs, album releases and national competitions.

The group is a seven-year veteran of the International Championship of Collegiate A Cappella. In 2019, BisCaydence competed in ICCA’s regional competitions in Orlando, then North Carolina.

Their exemplary performance placed them in the ten out of 450 collegiate a cappella groups that moved on to the competition’s final round in New York City, where they placed second.

With unimaginable feats and high competition scores year after year, it is clear that BisCaydence is great at what they do.

The group usually has 18 to 20 members at a time, all of whom are undergraduate students. Most have some affiliation with UM’s Frost School of Music, but many are not music majors, joining simply because of their passion for singing.

BisCaydence 1.png

BisCaydence performs in the ICCA 2019 Finals. Photo credit: Courtesy of BisCaydence

Scott Gelb is one of these anomalies. Gelb, now a junior in the business school, has been a member of BisCaydence since his freshman year. Scott was involved in choir and a cappella groups in high school and is passionate about music, like the other members of BisCaydence.

“I wanted to keep that going in my life,” said Gelb, who is currently BisCaydence’s business manager.

It may not be surprising, then, to learn that some of the group’s current and most integral members do not have backgrounds in musical training.

“We have members who don’t know how to read music or whose only experience with singing was in church,” Gelb said. He describes BisCaydence as “a collection of people who love UM, who love music, who want to spread diversity through music and have fun while doing it.”

BisCaydence 3

BisCaydence performs in ICCA 2019 Finals, where they placed second overall. Photo credit: BisCaydence

On Sept. 27, BisCaydence released their latest single, “Lost In Japan.” They are also working on an album of songs they performed at ICCA competitions, which will be released Oct. 4.

In the future, BisCaydence plans to compete in new competitions, some of which include the Los Angeles A Cappella Festival and Boston Sings A Cappella Festival. For now, the group will keep rehearsing and spreading their love for a cappella on campus and with the nation.

BisCaydence encourages UM undergraduate students to audition to become new members. They hold auditions at the start of every fall semester and occasionally in the spring. BisCaydence allows students of all majors and musical backgrounds to audition, even if they have no prior musical training. Email biscaydence@gmail.com for inquiries.

To hear their music on Spotify, click here. To listen on Google Play, Apple Music, Amazon Streaming, YouTube or SoundCloud, simply search “BisCaydence.”

Essien Duke

The Patti and Allan Herbert Wellness Center offers a great place to exercise; but if you can’t make ...

The Miami Climate Symposium 2020: Predicting and Living with Extremes, a three-day event hosted by t ...

A continuation of the “What Matters to U” speaker series, the former Ohio governor will speak to stu ...

Thousands gathered at the University of Miami’s Coral Gables campus for a weekend of creativity and ...

Some of the last uninhabited islands on the planet are serving as a natural laboratory for a Univers ...

UM's 2020 slate features an opener against a familiar former Big East foe, a three-game homesta ...

Two Canes earned spots on the 2020 D1 Baseball Preseason All-America Third Team. ...

After running the NCAA's fastest 60m dash time over the weekend, Raheem Chambers of the Miami t ...

The Miami women's tennis team retained its spot in the Oracle/ITA top 25, as announced Wednesda ...

Miami women's basketball returns to the Watsco Center on Thursday. ...