Campus Life, Music, News

Frost School of Music to host benefit concert for Bahamas

Following the devastation left in the Bahamas by Hurricane Dorian, The Frost School of Music at the University of Miami will be holding a benefit concert, the Bahamas Relief Concert, to raise money for those impacted by the storm. The concert will take place at 7:30 p.m on Saturday, Sept. 28, at Gusman Concert Hall.

The concert is being organized by Frost’s professor of practice and legendary musician, Chuck Bergeron, to fundraise relief efforts for those impacted and affected by Hurricane Dorian. Many multi-Grammy winners will be performing, such as, The Dafnis Prieto Artist Ensemble with Gonzalo Rubalcaba, Jodi Levitz and Bettina Mussumeli duo, Valerie Coleman, Margaret Donaghue and Bob Weiner.

Blake Evans, a junior majoring in jazz drum set performance will be playing the drums with the American Music Ensemble (AME) and the R&B Ensemble. “

It’s a rarity that we have a concert that represents all areas of Frost, especially one where the proceeds are donated to a good cause,” Evans said.

Students and faculty are more than welcome to attend and participate, but seats are first-come, first-served.

“It’s going to feature some of the top musicians and groups here at Frost with no cost of admission,” said Evans. “This is a great opportunity to check out what we do.”

While admission is free, donations to help those impacted by the storm can be made at www.Miami.edu/dorian.

Cinthya Franco

Caribbean experts assessed the coronavirus’s impact on the region in a webinar on Nov. 19 hosted by the University of Miami Institute for Advanced Study of the Americas. ...

A project on race, housing, and displacement in Miami connects past patterns of discrimination to modern disparities. ...

United Black Students and the Black Student Athlete Alliance, in partnership with the University of Miami administration, mobilize to honor the lives lost due to police brutality. ...

As students and faculty and staff members prepare to wrap up the Fall 2020 semester, here’s a look at the availability of facilities and services during the break. ...

The University of Miami president called for increased cooperation, new powers for the World Health Organization, and transparency incentives as critical to manage and mitigate future health outbreaks. ...