Campus Life, News

Students invited to interact with curators of architectural exhibit

exhibit.png

Exhibition Drawing Codes: Experimental Protocols of Architectural Representation Photo credit: Shawna M. Meyer

Architects and professors at the California College of the Arts in San Francisco, Adam Marcus and co-curator Andrew Kudless will offer students a discussion about their exhibition “Drawing Codes: Experimental Protocols of Architectural Representation,” on Monday, Sept. 30.

The exhibition opened in New York at the beginning of the year and traveled all around the country. It is now at the Korach Library at the University of Miami and ends Oct. 9. The show is the work of 24 architects, who were invited by the curators, made layouts related to code and drawing.

Both architects will attend the School of Architecture next weekend. During the workshop, they will look at some similar themes in the event and show work with software. After an overview of the exhibition, Marcus and Kudless invite people to discuss in a roundtable panel the role of drawing and computation in architecture today.

The curators’ workshop will start Sept. 29 for students of the SoA. Nevertheless, the discussion on Sept. 30 welcomes all students to come at 6:30 p.m. at the Thomas P. Murphy Design Studio, in the SoA.

“We were interested in saying that these technologies can be used for lots of different approaches in architecture and particularly in how they relate to practices of drawing, which is ancient practice and architecture,” said Marcus. “That was one kind of motivation.”

Marcus not only teaches but directs variable projects, an intersection between architecture, computation and fabrication. His work shows the correlation between new technologies and architectural traditions. Kudless founded a studio, Matsys, which looks at relationships within architecture, engineering, biology and computation. The curators are both involved in an association at the California College of the Arts called the digital craft lab. The research group initiated the exhibit.

“We found that in school, some students would say things like, ‘I don’t need to learn that, because I’m not interested in making that type of architecture,’” said Marcus. “We realized that there was a kind of similar challenge in schools. We were interested in opening up a broader approach to these types of technologies.”

IF YOU GO

What: “Drawing Codes: Experimental Protocols of Architectural Representation,” layouts related to code and drawing.

When: The exhibition is already open and will run through Oct. 7. The curators will discuss the exhibit Sept. 30, at 6:30 p.m.

Where: The discussion will take place at The Thomas P. Murphy Design Studio, in the School of Architecture. The exhibit is at the Korach Library.

For more information, go to http://www.variableprojects.com/news/2019/9/3/drawing-codes-volume-ii-opens-at-the-university-of-miami , or call UM School of Architecture at 305-284-3731 or email Shawna M. Meyer smm442@miami.edu.

Joanna Ugo

In their first Climate Café, Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science faculty members and

Student and faculty mentors and their foster-care teen mentees both reap rich rewards through intera

’Canes Central provides undergraduate and graduate students with easy, efficient support for registr

Neil Hammerschlag provides a preview of what to expect during this year’s shark programming set to b

University of Miami architects and engineers, spurred by lessons learned from the pandemic, re-creat