Community, Edge, Music

Sam Smith publicly declares ‘they/them’ pronouns

Last week, Sam Smith became one of the most high-profile celebrities to identify as gender non-binary. As an Oscar and four-time Grammy winner, Smith’s announcement almost immediately reached a worldwide audience. The 27-year-old singer-songwriter took to their Instagram page of 13.4 million followers to publicly announce via picture with a paragraph-length caption explaining what they called “a lifetime of being at war” with their gender.

The photograph simply said, “My pronouns are they/them,” and the caption dove further into Smith’s emotional struggle of embracing their identity and overcoming fear of announcing it. Smith tagged 15 activists and leaders of the non-binary and transgender community in effort to field questions regarding the exact meaning and implications of being gender non-binary.

View this post on Instagram

Today is a good day so here goes. I’ve decided I am changing my pronouns to THEY/THEM ❤ after a lifetime of being at war with my gender I’ve decided to embrace myself for who I am, inside and out. I’m so excited and privileged to be surrounded by people that support me in this decision but I’ve been very nervous about announcing this because I care too much about what people think but fuck it! I understand there will be many mistakes and mis gendering but all I ask is you please please try. I hope you can see me like I see myself now. Thank you. P.s. I am at no stage just yet to eloquently speak at length about what it means to be non binary but I can’t wait for the day that I am. So for now I just want to be VISIBLE and open. If you have questions and are wondering what this all means I’ll try my best to explain but I have also tagged below the human beings who are fighting the good fight everyday. These are activists and leaders of the non binary/trans community that have helped me and given me so much clarity and understanding. @tomglitter @munroebergdorf @transnormativity @alokvmenon @katemoross @glamrou @travisalabanza @twyrent @chellaman @jvn @lavernecox @stonewalluk @glaad @humanrightscampaign @mermaidsgender Love you all. I’m scared shitless, but feeling super free right now. Be kind x

A post shared by Sam Smith (@samsmith) on

Among this was Queer-Eye’s Jonathan Van Ness. Van Ness has been very vocal in defining his understanding of being non-binary. He prefers “he/him” pronouns, but considers himself “gender queer” or “gender nonconforming.” In an interview with Out Magazine earlier this summer, Van Ness said, “Some days I feel like a man, but then other days I feel like a woman.”

Although reactions to Smith’s announcement have been overwhelmingly positive, there are a few instances of blatant unwillingness to accept their choice or even respect their pronouns.

The Associated Press released a story covering Smith’s Instagram post. The article repeatedly failed to include the “they/them” pronouns throughout the story when referencing the British singer. The article received backlash for its insensitivity and has since been revised to include the correct pronouns.

First-year UM student, Samantha Hill, commented on Smith’s announcement as “something she saw coming.” She, like most internet-active people, saw the news fairly soon after its release but was not surprised by Smith’s choice.

Screen Shot 2019-09-22 at 3.58.07 PM.png

Sam Smith, a Grammy-winning artist, recently announced on Instagram that their pronouns are "they/them." Photo source: Instagram, @samsmith

Hill had previously read interviews where Smith had talked about their struggle to find where they belonged on the gender spectrum. Hill, however, said she was shocked by the Associated Press’ lapse in judgement.

“Since this is such a big and important social movement right now,” she said she sees the AP’s article as “a major screw-up.”

Other students took to social media to express their feelings, one of them being senior Ahli Switzler.

“I am a non-binary person,” they wrote in a Facebook post Sept. 14. “I am gender neutral, and every single day since coming out, people have misgendered me.”

Switzler said they use humor to laugh it off when people misgender them, but seeing the negative comments on Smith’s announcement post has been difficult.

“How little it is taken seriously just absolutely destroys me,” they said. “I know there are bigger things out there right now, but just treating people as people and recognizing it’s not easy to come out even today should be the bare minimum. Also for the last goddamn time, they/them is a singular pronoun.”

Even America’s oldest dictionary recently took a step towards institutionalizing the use of “they” as a singular pronoun. The updated definition of the word now says “used to refer to a single person whose gender identity is non-binary.”

In a blog post, Merriam-Webster stated in regards to arguments that the singular use pronoun “they” is grammatically incorrect and conversationally confusing.

“Regardless of what detractors say, nearly everyone uses the singular they in casual conversation and often in formal writing,” it said.

Inés Eisenhour

With technology developed at UM, aerospace engineer GeCheng Zha hopes to usher in a new era of urban ...

The second meeting of the Hemispheric University Consortium in Jamaica added new members and worked ...

Alumna Diana Donnarumma received a multi-organ transplant and is now working to help others who suff ...

Renovations to the School of Architecture’s library doubled its footprint, offering students a place ...

Through Project MMAGIC, assistant professor of psychology Sannisha Dale will analyze how snide comme ...

Hurricanes legend Bernie Kosar was among those Hall of Fame inductees, record setters and NFL stando ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team turned in a stellar performance competi ...

Hurricanes are set to open competition at the ITA Southeast Regional Championship on Thursday. ...

Freshmen Kenza Salgues and Moulayna Johnson Sidi Baba, UM's two newest international players, a ...

Head women's basketball coach Katie Meier and the Miami Hurricanes hosted 135 local fans for th ...