“National Gandhi Day of Service” registration closes Sept. 24

image004 (1)-2.jpg

It is almost that time of the year again students; it is the Butler Center for Service and Leadership’s annual “National Gandhi Day of Service.”

All students can participate in the largest service day at the University of Miami. This is an opportunity for students to get involved in the community and really attune to Mahatma Gandhi’s life ideals and fulfill their civic duties through community service activities.

Students can sign up via miami.campuslabs.com, where they can fill out a form to participate in the event. Registration ends Tuesday, Sept. 24 at 5 p.m.

The event will be held on Sept. 28 from 9 a.m.-3 p.m., but the event itself takes place at several locations within South Florida, depending on the organization you choose at sign up.

Students who participate will receive breakfast, lunch and a t-shirt.

Participants will team up with the university’s community partner agencies to complete community service projects and strive to contribute to the greater community.

Amanda Rodriguez, a junior business law major, participated in the event her freshman year. She absolutely loved the experience and filled her heart with joy to give back to the community in which she lives.

“We helped at a local horse ranch picking up garbage and cleaning horses,” said Rodriguez. “It was just peace and joy at heart to team up with people to put smiles on the faces of people who do wonders for our community.”