Community, Cover, Culture, Music, Reviews

Mint Trip plans to break music barriers, releases debut album

Frost School of Music graduates turned best friends Amy Gionfriddo, Brian Gross and Max Molander formed an alternative pop-rock band during their time at the University of Miami. Following graduation, they moved across the country, now living in Los Angeles, to chase their music industry dreams.

MintTrip1.jpg

Composed of Frost School of Music graduates, female-fronted band Mint Trip is working to break barriers in the music industry. Amy Gionfriddo (lead vocals), Brian Gross (bassist), and Max Molander (guitarist) are currently in LA chasing their dreams of stardom. Photo credit: Courtesy of Mint Trip

It only took the genre-bending trio 18 months to be signed by independent record label Blue Élan. Their unique sound is dubbed “cerebral, atmospheric pop-rock,” with Gionfriddo’s chilling yet ethereal voice making the blend of spacey beats stand out without being overpowering.

The name of the band, derived from the feeling of biting into a York Peppermint Pattie, is Mint Trip. It is an ode to that instant rush of minty mayhem that perfectly parallels the type of music they produce– fresh, a bit chaotic, but most importantly, a unique experience. Or dare I say, a trip.

Mint Trip knows that their sound isn’t the “norm,” and they’re okay with that. Unlike the programmed and extremely repetitive content the music industry is currently producing, Mint Trip isn’t afraid to make music that is completely different from everyone else’s sound. While the band knows they are taking a leap of faith by not conforming to a specific type of genre, they hope that their unique sound will change people’s perception of music and hopefully be a part of a new, less conformist era in music.

Animator_AlbumArt.jpg

Cover of Mint Trip's debut album, Animator, released Sept. 6, 2019. Photo credit: Courtesy of Mint Trip

Their debut album “Animator,” which came out on Sept. 6, is the first official step to becoming a serious, successful band that breaks down barriers and holds nothing back.

Though “Animator is not my usual music of choice, it is unlike anything I have ever heard and definitely worth giving a listen. Just because I did not vibe with it doesn’t mean you won’t. Click here to listen and decide for yourself.

Jake Davis

An online seminar sponsored by the University of Miami Institute for Advanced Study of the Americas

The first presidential debate between President Donald J. Trump and former vice president and democr

As the Miami Hurricanes take on Florida State, University of Miami students are invited to a Friday-

Linguist Caleb Everett reminds us that the mind has yet to grasp the modern world’s explosion of mas