Community, Cover, Edge, Music, Reviews

Mint Trip plans to break music barriers, releases debut album

Frost School of Music graduates turned best friends Amy Gionfriddo, Brian Gross and Max Molander formed an alternative pop-rock band during their time at the University of Miami. Following graduation, they moved across the country, now living in Los Angeles, to chase their music industry dreams.

MintTrip1.jpg

Composed of Frost School of Music graduates, female-fronted band Mint Trip is working to break barriers in the music industry. Amy Gionfriddo (lead vocals), Brian Gross (bassist), and Max Molander (guitarist) are currently in LA chasing their dreams of stardom. Photo credit: Courtesy of Mint Trip

It only took the genre-bending trio 18 months to be signed by independent record label Blue Élan. Their unique sound is dubbed “cerebral, atmospheric pop-rock,” with Gionfriddo’s chilling yet ethereal voice making the blend of spacey beats stand out without being overpowering.

The name of the band, derived from the feeling of biting into a York Peppermint Pattie, is Mint Trip. It is an ode to that instant rush of minty mayhem that perfectly parallels the type of music they produce– fresh, a bit chaotic, but most importantly, a unique experience. Or dare I say, a trip.

Mint Trip knows that their sound isn’t the “norm,” and they’re okay with that. Unlike the programmed and extremely repetitive content the music industry is currently producing, Mint Trip isn’t afraid to make music that is completely different from everyone else’s sound. While the band knows they are taking a leap of faith by not conforming to a specific type of genre, they hope that their unique sound will change people’s perception of music and hopefully be a part of a new, less conformist era in music.

Animator_AlbumArt.jpg

Cover of Mint Trip's debut album, Animator, released Sept. 6, 2019. Photo credit: Courtesy of Mint Trip

Their debut album “Animator,” which came out on Sept. 6, is the first official step to becoming a serious, successful band that breaks down barriers and holds nothing back.

Though “Animator is not my usual music of choice, it is unlike anything I have ever heard and definitely worth giving a listen. Just because I did not vibe with it doesn’t mean you won’t. Click here to listen and decide for yourself.

Jake Davis

With technology developed at UM, aerospace engineer GeCheng Zha hopes to usher in a new era of urban ...

The second meeting of the Hemispheric University Consortium in Jamaica added new members and worked ...

Alumna Diana Donnarumma received a multi-organ transplant and is now working to help others who suff ...

Renovations to the School of Architecture’s library doubled its footprint, offering students a place ...

Through Project MMAGIC, assistant professor of psychology Sannisha Dale will analyze how snide comme ...

Hurricanes legend Bernie Kosar was among those Hall of Fame inductees, record setters and NFL stando ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team turned in a stellar performance competi ...

Hurricanes are set to open competition at the ITA Southeast Regional Championship on Thursday. ...

Freshmen Kenza Salgues and Moulayna Johnson Sidi Baba, UM's two newest international players, a ...

Head women's basketball coach Katie Meier and the Miami Hurricanes hosted 135 local fans for th ...