Football, Sports

Hurricanes to take on Central Michigan, look for second win of season

The Miami Hurricanes head back to Hard Rock Stadium this Saturday looking to build on their first win.

Head Coach Manny Diaz wants his players to focus on areas of the game that they can control such as missed assignments and miscommunications.

“It’s momentum, but it’s really improvement, we talked about the improvement from game one to game two, game two to game three, our number one thing in our plan to win is to play clean, that has really nothing to do with the opponent, those are all things that we control,” Diaz said.

Last week was a game of firsts for the Hurricanes. Diaz got his first win as head coach at Miami, redshirt senior running back Jimmy Murphy ran for his first touchdown, freshman tight end Larry Hodges caught his first of two touchdowns, and junior wide receiver Mike Harley caught his first touchdown as a Cane.

“It was a blessing, I was ready for it since my freshman year,” Harley said. “I have to take that next step, I have no more time to waste, I’m maturing and I have my confidence and I’m trying to be a leader on and off the field.”

Now it’s time for the Hurricanes to win back to back games for the first time during the Manny Diaz era.

Central Michigan (2-1) is coming off a 45-24 win against Akron last week. The Chippewas won just one game in 2018. Jim McElwain returns to the sunshine state after coaching at the University of Florida from 2015-2017. Central Michigan is averaging 27.7 points per game and is winless on the road this season, allowing 35.3 points per game, which is a good sign for the Hurricanes offensive.

This is a game the Hurricanes should definitely win, especially after building confidence at home last week. Linebacker Romeo Finley returned to practice this week and is expected to play alongside running back Lorenzo Lingard, who is hoping to make his season debut. Lingard, a five-star recruit out of Orange City, FL, has not only battled injuries but also a deep running back room since coming to Miami. It will be interesting to see how Miami fits Lingard into the running back rotation that has been producing, led by DeeJay Dallas. Defensive tackle Nesta Silvera returned to the practice field this week after being out following foot surgery. Silvera will not be playing this week, but should be able to suit up in the coming weeks.

The game is set for 4 p.m. at Hard Rock Stadium in Miami Gardens, FL and will be televised on the ACC Network.

Anthony Kean

Thousands gathered at the University of Miami’s Coral Gables campus for a weekend of creativity and ...

Some of the last uninhabited islands on the planet are serving as a natural laboratory for a Univers ...

The Patti and Allan Herbert Wellness Center’s 18,000-square-foot fitness room named in honor of Norm ...

University of Miami theatre arts students and faculty members come together for a whirlwind day to c ...

The #SuperCoralPlay campaign combines education and outreach with research and restoration efforts t ...

Rodney Miller, Jr., logged his first double-double Tuesday night, as the Miami men's basketball ...

The Miami men's basketball team will play its fourth top-15 opponent in a six-game, 18-day span ...

The Miami women's tennis team turned in a spectacular performance in singles play Monday to con ...

Miami women's basketball returns to the Watsco Center on Thursday. ...

The Canes will open the 2020 season with multiple top-5 preseason rankings for the first time since ...