Campus Life, Community, News

‘Banned Books Read Out’ removes veil of censorship

In honor of Banned Books Week, an annual awareness campaign sponsored by the American Library Association, Richter Library is hosting a “Banned Books Read Out.”

Both students and faculty members will be reading passages from books that were once considered controversial and, consequently banned by either governmental, religious or academic powers. Most of the books that will be read deal with political, racial and sexual topics.

Each student and faculty member has chosen a banned book and selected a passage to read. One of these people includes Gina Maranto, the undergraduate co-director for ecosystem science and policy at the University of Miami. She has attended this event for the past few years as a way to support her students, but this year she will be reading as well.

She said she believes, “Reading and being able to access all kinds of literature is critical, especially in a democracy.” Banned Books Week celebrates the liberation of this idea. This year’s theme will be “Keep the Lights On,” suggesting that censorship leaves people in the dark.

Banned Books Week starts Sunday, Sept. 22, and runs through Sunday, Sept. 29. The Richter Library will host their read-aloud event Tuesday, Sept. 24, from 2-3:30 p.m. in the Learning Commons.

For more information, call 305-284-4026.

IF YOU GO:

What: Richter Library’s Banned Books Read-Out

When: Tuesday, Sept. 24, at 2 p.m.

Where: Richter Library Conference Room, third floor

Jacqueline Lopez

Political science faculty members prepare to teach students the ins and outs of American politics du

The School of Nursing and Health Studies has received renewed federal funding to increase the number

Leyla Shapiro, a junior at the University of Miami, spent her summer virtually giving instructions o

As the 2020 Atlantic hurricane season heads into its peak months, Brian McNoldy, senior research ass

The new Public Health Ambassadors program, formed to support the safe reopening of campus and COVID-