Campus Life, Community, News

‘Banned Books Read Out’ removes veil of censorship

In honor of Banned Books Week, an annual awareness campaign sponsored by the American Library Association, Richter Library is hosting a “Banned Books Read Out.”

Both students and faculty members will be reading passages from books that were once considered controversial and, consequently banned by either governmental, religious or academic powers. Most of the books that will be read deal with political, racial and sexual topics.

Each student and faculty member has chosen a banned book and selected a passage to read. One of these people includes Gina Maranto, the undergraduate co-director for ecosystem science and policy at the University of Miami. She has attended this event for the past few years as a way to support her students, but this year she will be reading as well.

She said she believes, “Reading and being able to access all kinds of literature is critical, especially in a democracy.” Banned Books Week celebrates the liberation of this idea. This year’s theme will be “Keep the Lights On,” suggesting that censorship leaves people in the dark.

Banned Books Week starts Sunday, Sept. 22, and runs through Sunday, Sept. 29. The Richter Library will host their read-aloud event Tuesday, Sept. 24, from 2-3:30 p.m. in the Learning Commons.

For more information, call 305-284-4026.

IF YOU GO:

What: Richter Library’s Banned Books Read-Out

When: Tuesday, Sept. 24, at 2 p.m.

Where: Richter Library Conference Room, third floor

Jacqueline Lopez

With technology developed at UM, aerospace engineer GeCheng Zha hopes to usher in a new era of urban ...

The second meeting of the Hemispheric University Consortium in Jamaica added new members and worked ...

Alumna Diana Donnarumma received a multi-organ transplant and is now working to help others who suff ...

Renovations to the School of Architecture’s library doubled its footprint, offering students a place ...

Through Project MMAGIC, assistant professor of psychology Sannisha Dale will analyze how snide comme ...

Hurricanes legend Bernie Kosar was among those Hall of Fame inductees, record setters and NFL stando ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team turned in a stellar performance competi ...

Hurricanes are set to open competition at the ITA Southeast Regional Championship on Thursday. ...

Freshmen Kenza Salgues and Moulayna Johnson Sidi Baba, UM's two newest international players, a ...

Head women's basketball coach Katie Meier and the Miami Hurricanes hosted 135 local fans for th ...