Campus Life, Community, News

‘Banned Books Read Out’ removes veil of censorship

In honor of Banned Books Week, an annual awareness campaign sponsored by the American Library Association, Richter Library is hosting a “Banned Books Read Out.”

Both students and faculty members will be reading passages from books that were once considered controversial and, consequently banned by either governmental, religious or academic powers. Most of the books that will be read deal with political, racial and sexual topics.

Each student and faculty member has chosen a banned book and selected a passage to read. One of these people includes Gina Maranto, the undergraduate co-director for ecosystem science and policy at the University of Miami. She has attended this event for the past few years as a way to support her students, but this year she will be reading as well.

She said she believes, “Reading and being able to access all kinds of literature is critical, especially in a democracy.” Banned Books Week celebrates the liberation of this idea. This year’s theme will be “Keep the Lights On,” suggesting that censorship leaves people in the dark.

Banned Books Week starts Sunday, Sept. 22, and runs through Sunday, Sept. 29. The Richter Library will host their read-aloud event Tuesday, Sept. 24, from 2-3:30 p.m. in the Learning Commons.

For more information, call 305-284-4026.

IF YOU GO:

What: Richter Library’s Banned Books Read-Out

When: Tuesday, Sept. 24, at 2 p.m.

Where: Richter Library Conference Room, third floor

Jacqueline Lopez

During a virtual panel discussion hosted by the University of Washington, President Julio Frenk discussed global responses to the pandemic—and what is needed to move forward. ...

Members of the Homecoming Executive Committee share how they pivoted this year to plan a ’Canes Spirit Week that continues to generate excitement and honor tradition. ...

One of the University’s largest student-run organizations didn’t miss a beat when moving its dance lessons online. ...

Tau Sigma National Honor Society and the Department of Orientation and Commuter Student Involvement host a week of interactive events honoring transfer students Oct. 19-25. ...

A graduate of the highly selective Applied Behavior Analysis program, Fajer Almenaie is changing the landscape for children on the autism spectrum in the Middle East. ...