UM professor presents new book, discusses closures of U.S. military bases

Michael Touchton

Michael Touchton, assistant professor of political science at the University of Miami, recently published a book that focuses on how cities in the United States rebuild after the closure of a military base in their community.

michael touchton.jpg
Michael Touchton

The book, titled “Salvaging Community,” was released earlier this year. It was co-written by Amanda J. Ashley from Boise State University.

Touchton will be having a book launching event at 8 p.m. on Thursday, Sept. 19, 2019. It will be taking place at the Books and Books in Coral Gables. The event is free and open to all people. Food and wine will be served throughout the evening.

After presenting the book, Touchton will be discussing different types of challenges cities face after the loss of a military base and how they can redevelop to benefit all residents. In the book, he looks at national databases and analyzes three in-depth case studies.

In a review left by Christopher Preble from Cato Institute, Preble said, “Touchton and Ashley perform a vital service in this carefully researched book by showing how former defense communities can find creative ways to convert these facilities to more productive uses.”

In the past, Touchton focused more on research that was more internationally based.

“This is the first big research project I’ve done in the United States, but I hope you’ll still find it interesting and make time to discuss it,” said Touchton.