Campus Life, News

Commuter students hold social activities to build community on campus

web-widgets-01-1024x682.png

The commuter community at the University of Miami kicked off the semester with a week of events called, “Social Week”. The week began on Monday, Sept. 9th and ran until Friday, Sept. 13.

On Wednesday, Sept. 11, commuter students held a bowling event as one of their “Social Week” activities. On Thursday, Sept. 12, students met at “The Rat” on campus for a community dinner at 6:30 p.m. The following day, students hosted a “t-shirt cutting party” at noon.

“Students design shirts before going to the game together on Saturday,” said Stephanie Fleitas, the assistant director of the Department of Orientation & Commuter Student Involvement.

“Social Week” was created to bring the commuter community together. But, how do the new commuter students get involved?

“Pretty much through us,” said commuter student Mallory Blum. “During orientation, we send out information to the incoming commuter students.”

They also have an Instagram where students are kept up to date about upcoming events. Students are encouraged to follow them @canestagram for information.

Alessia Cusumano

Tufaan, the University of Miami’s South Asian a cappella group, needs the community’s help to advanc

Dr. Brandon Chatani, a Miller School of Medicine infectious disease specialist, offers advice on way

With the federal Endangered Species Act in danger, University of Miami researchers find that state p

An online exhibit spotlights the talents of two University of Miami incoming Master of Fine Arts gra

Casey Klofstad, political science professor, explains why and how voters should pay attention to pol