Campus Life, News

Commuter students hold social activities to build community on campus

web-widgets-01-1024x682.png

The commuter community at the University of Miami kicked off the semester with a week of events called, “Social Week”. The week began on Monday, Sept. 9th and ran until Friday, Sept. 13.

On Wednesday, Sept. 11, commuter students held a bowling event as one of their “Social Week” activities. On Thursday, Sept. 12, students met at “The Rat” on campus for a community dinner at 6:30 p.m. The following day, students hosted a “t-shirt cutting party” at noon.

“Students design shirts before going to the game together on Saturday,” said Stephanie Fleitas, the assistant director of the Department of Orientation & Commuter Student Involvement.

“Social Week” was created to bring the commuter community together. But, how do the new commuter students get involved?

“Pretty much through us,” said commuter student Mallory Blum. “During orientation, we send out information to the incoming commuter students.”

They also have an Instagram where students are kept up to date about upcoming events. Students are encouraged to follow them @canestagram for information.

Alessia Cusumano

The Patti and Allan Herbert Wellness Center offers a great place to exercise; but if you can’t make ...

The Miami Climate Symposium 2020: Predicting and Living with Extremes, a three-day event hosted by t ...

A continuation of the “What Matters to U” speaker series, the former Ohio governor will speak to stu ...

Thousands gathered at the University of Miami’s Coral Gables campus for a weekend of creativity and ...

Some of the last uninhabited islands on the planet are serving as a natural laboratory for a Univers ...

RSS Error: A feed could not be found at http://www.hurricanesports.com/rss.aspx. A feed with an invalid mime type may fall victim to this error, or SimplePie was unable to auto-discover it.. Use force_feed() if you are certain this URL is a real feed.