Campus Life, News

Annual bike sale will be held Friday, Sept. 20 at the Pavia Garage

Do-U-square.png

After initially being postponed by Hurricane Dorian, the University of Miami Police Department rescheduled its used bike sale to Friday, Sept. 20.

The annual sale, which benefits the United Way, will be held on the first floor of Pavia Garage. Students will have first access to the sale, beginning at 10 a.m., and faculty and staff of the university community will be able to join at 11 a.m.

In order to make more room for properly registered and parked bikes, the university removes abandoned, illegally parked or unlocked bikes and moves them to the “dungeon,” a storage room in Pavia Garage. After three months, the bikes are reclaimed by the university then listed for sale at the annual bike sale. The university urges registered owners of the bikes to pick up their bikes up until the sale.

Alexandra Martinez, UMPD crime prevention officer, and programs manager, has spearheaded the program since its birth.

“I found that the practice of recycling these abandoned bikes is a sensible solution and serves our community.”

Bikes for sale range from $30 to $80, depending on the condition of the bike. The UM Bicycle Club provides information on each bike stating the necessary repairs, if any, and are available on-site to offer advice to prospective buyers. Students are advised to bring their student IDs. Cash, check and credit card will all be accepted.

“I found that the practice of recycling these abandoned bikes is a sensible solution and serves our community,” said Martinez. “My goal is to continue recycling abandoned bikes via these sales and hopefully have students get in the habit of donating them as they graduate.”

Sales benefit the UM United Way. For the past two years, the bike sale has raised $7,719.

IF YOU GO:

WHO: Students, faculty and staff of the university community

WHAT: Used Bike Sale

WHEN: 10 a.m. for students, 11 a.m. for staff and faculty

WHERE: First floor of Pavia Garage

Shawn Fortune

Two Commencement ceremonies will take place at the Watsco Center on the Coral Gables campus on Thurs ...

The investiture of the School of Law Dean Anthony E. Varona as the M. Minnette Massey Chair took pla ...

The University of Miami Frost School of Music's annual holiday event raises funds for the Donna ...

University of Miami Miller School of Medicine students hung 3,000 posters in Wynwood last weekend to ...

Life on Great Abaco Island in the Bahamas is striving to get back to normal, but the scars of Hurric ...

RSS Error: A feed could not be found at http://www.hurricanesports.com/rss.aspx. A feed with an invalid mime type may fall victim to this error, or SimplePie was unable to auto-discover it.. Use force_feed() if you are certain this URL is a real feed.