Campus Life, News

Black students, staff, faculty mix things up at networking event

black mixer

The University of Miami black faculty, staff and student mixer provided an opportunity for students to network with one another from 5:30-7:30 p.m. on Tuesday, Sept. 17 at The Grand Ballroom East in the Donna E. Shalala Student Center. The Woodson Williams Marshall Association (WWMA) partnered with Multicultural Student Affairs (MSA) to host this event.

The networking mixer provided an opportunity for students to network, build connections and fellowship with faculty and staff at UM. The icebreakers and table activities helped to get everyone comfortable and ready to socialize.

Kennedy Robinson, the assistant director of MSA, planned this annual event and says that this mixer is about making interactions with faculty that otherwise students may not have met and also potentially find a mentor or someone to relate to.

“Sometimes students often feel underrepresented or feel like they don’t have enough representation on campus,” Robinson said. “When you’re in spaces like this, you’re able to connect with different people.”

After the networking activities, all of the participants introduced themselves and gave a reason why they came to this event. Several students and faculty said that this event has provided a chance to be among family and see people that look like them.

WWMA is a small group of black administrators and faculty that focus on issues that black students and employees at UM face. This association connects with students through events, scholarships, and more. Robinson says WWMA is the central organization to connect black students with black staff.

“Being able to bring WWMA here helps to show that there is faculty commitment in this space,” Robinson said.

MSA student assistant, sophomore, and legal studies major, Landon Coles, said that knowing that there is a sense of community among the black population is the most rewarding aspect of this event.

“We have a very small black population at UM so it is important that we all have connections to one another,” Coles said. “We attend and work at an institution that was not built for people that look like us. Because of that, our presence and our connection to one another is more important than it ever has been.”

Jayda Graham

With technology developed at UM, aerospace engineer GeCheng Zha hopes to usher in a new era of urban ...

The second meeting of the Hemispheric University Consortium in Jamaica added new members and worked ...

Alumna Diana Donnarumma received a multi-organ transplant and is now working to help others who suff ...

Renovations to the School of Architecture’s library doubled its footprint, offering students a place ...

Through Project MMAGIC, assistant professor of psychology Sannisha Dale will analyze how snide comme ...

Hurricanes legend Bernie Kosar was among those Hall of Fame inductees, record setters and NFL stando ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team turned in a stellar performance competi ...

Hurricanes are set to open competition at the ITA Southeast Regional Championship on Thursday. ...

Freshmen Kenza Salgues and Moulayna Johnson Sidi Baba, UM's two newest international players, a ...

Head women's basketball coach Katie Meier and the Miami Hurricanes hosted 135 local fans for th ...