News, Religious Life

Archbishop of Miami celebrates Mass at St. Augustine Church

Archbishop Wenski celebrates mass at St. Augustine.jpg

The Archbishop of Miami, Rev. Thomas G. Wenski, celebrated Mass Sunday evening at St. Augustine Church and Catholic Student Center with a special message for University of Miami worshippers.

“Higher education isn’t just about making a living, it’s about making a life,” said Wenski, who emphasized the importance of spiritual growth to parishioners who filled every pew at the church.

Wenski, appointed archbishop in 2010, presided over the 8 p.m. “Mass of the Holy Spirit,” asking the Holy Spirit for blessings for the academic year.

“It’s a cool way to set a tone for the new year, said Michelle Lopez, the associate campus minister and director of New Evangelization.

Students and faculty, including the Rev. Phillip Tran, the university’s first full-time Catholic priest, and Pat Whitely, the vice president of Student Affairs, attended the service.

Following Mass, the church courtyard was filled with high tables draped in orange and green cloth and illuminated by candlelight for a barbecue reception. The event also included a mini club fair, which promoted ways students and faculty could become involved in service ministries.

Jacqueline Lopez

The series—which will feature experts discussing their groundbreaking research on corals, ocean and atmospheric science, and how climate change is forcing communities to alter their long-range plans—will begin this week. ...

Octavia Bridges, a 20-year veteran of the University of Miami Police Department, has been promoted to oversee crime prevention and community relations on the Coral Gables Campus. ...

The Jan. 6 Capitol insurrection has given social scientists and psychologists another example to examine the behavior and actions of groups. ...

Some experts believe that pent-up demand will push the economy into a rebound after the majority of the U.S. population receives the COVID-19 vaccine. ...

All students are required to test negative for COVID-19 before attending any in-person classes, programs, or work shifts on any University of Miami campus. With the start of classes Monday, here is the critical information students need to know. ...