News, Religious Life

Archbishop of Miami celebrates Mass at St. Augustine Church

Archbishop Wenski celebrates mass at St. Augustine.jpg

The Archbishop of Miami, Rev. Thomas G. Wenski, celebrated Mass Sunday evening at St. Augustine Church and Catholic Student Center with a special message for University of Miami worshippers.

“Higher education isn’t just about making a living, it’s about making a life,” said Wenski, who emphasized the importance of spiritual growth to parishioners who filled every pew at the church.

Wenski, appointed archbishop in 2010, presided over the 8 p.m. “Mass of the Holy Spirit,” asking the Holy Spirit for blessings for the academic year.

“It’s a cool way to set a tone for the new year, said Michelle Lopez, the associate campus minister and director of New Evangelization.

Students and faculty, including the Rev. Phillip Tran, the university’s first full-time Catholic priest, and Pat Whitely, the vice president of Student Affairs, attended the service.

Following Mass, the church courtyard was filled with high tables draped in orange and green cloth and illuminated by candlelight for a barbecue reception. The event also included a mini club fair, which promoted ways students and faculty could become involved in service ministries.

Jacqueline Lopez

An online seminar sponsored by the University of Miami Institute for Advanced Study of the Americas

The first presidential debate between President Donald J. Trump and former vice president and democr

As the Miami Hurricanes take on Florida State, University of Miami students are invited to a Friday-

Linguist Caleb Everett reminds us that the mind has yet to grasp the modern world’s explosion of mas