News, Religious Life

Archbishop of Miami celebrates Mass at St. Augustine Church

Archbishop Wenski celebrates mass at St. Augustine.jpg

The Archbishop of Miami, Rev. Thomas G. Wenski, celebrated Mass Sunday evening at St. Augustine Church and Catholic Student Center with a special message for University of Miami worshippers.

“Higher education isn’t just about making a living, it’s about making a life,” said Wenski, who emphasized the importance of spiritual growth to parishioners who filled every pew at the church.

Wenski, appointed archbishop in 2010, presided over the 8 p.m. “Mass of the Holy Spirit,” asking the Holy Spirit for blessings for the academic year.

“It’s a cool way to set a tone for the new year, said Michelle Lopez, the associate campus minister and director of New Evangelization.

Students and faculty, including the Rev. Phillip Tran, the university’s first full-time Catholic priest, and Pat Whitely, the vice president of Student Affairs, attended the service.

Following Mass, the church courtyard was filled with high tables draped in orange and green cloth and illuminated by candlelight for a barbecue reception. The event also included a mini club fair, which promoted ways students and faculty could become involved in service ministries.

Jacqueline Lopez

With technology developed at UM, aerospace engineer GeCheng Zha hopes to usher in a new era of urban ...

The second meeting of the Hemispheric University Consortium in Jamaica added new members and worked ...

Alumna Diana Donnarumma received a multi-organ transplant and is now working to help others who suff ...

Renovations to the School of Architecture’s library doubled its footprint, offering students a place ...

Through Project MMAGIC, assistant professor of psychology Sannisha Dale will analyze how snide comme ...

Hurricanes legend Bernie Kosar was among those Hall of Fame inductees, record setters and NFL stando ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team turned in a stellar performance competi ...

Hurricanes are set to open competition at the ITA Southeast Regional Championship on Thursday. ...

Freshmen Kenza Salgues and Moulayna Johnson Sidi Baba, UM's two newest international players, a ...

Head women's basketball coach Katie Meier and the Miami Hurricanes hosted 135 local fans for th ...