News, Religious Life

Archbishop of Miami celebrates Mass at St. Augustine Church

Archbishop Wenski celebrates mass at St. Augustine.jpg

The Archbishop of Miami, Rev. Thomas G. Wenski, celebrated Mass Sunday evening at St. Augustine Church and Catholic Student Center with a special message for University of Miami worshippers.

“Higher education isn’t just about making a living, it’s about making a life,” said Wenski, who emphasized the importance of spiritual growth to parishioners who filled every pew at the church.

Wenski, appointed archbishop in 2010, presided over the 8 p.m. “Mass of the Holy Spirit,” asking the Holy Spirit for blessings for the academic year.

“It’s a cool way to set a tone for the new year, said Michelle Lopez, the associate campus minister and director of New Evangelization.

Students and faculty, including the Rev. Phillip Tran, the university’s first full-time Catholic priest, and Pat Whitely, the vice president of Student Affairs, attended the service.

Following Mass, the church courtyard was filled with high tables draped in orange and green cloth and illuminated by candlelight for a barbecue reception. The event also included a mini club fair, which promoted ways students and faculty could become involved in service ministries.

Jacqueline Lopez

The Patti and Allan Herbert Wellness Center offers a great place to exercise; but if you can’t make ...

The Miami Climate Symposium 2020: Predicting and Living with Extremes, a three-day event hosted by t ...

A continuation of the “What Matters to U” speaker series, the former Ohio governor will speak to stu ...

Thousands gathered at the University of Miami’s Coral Gables campus for a weekend of creativity and ...

Some of the last uninhabited islands on the planet are serving as a natural laboratory for a Univers ...

UM's 2020 slate features an opener against a familiar former Big East foe, a three-game homesta ...

Two Canes earned spots on the 2020 D1 Baseball Preseason All-America Third Team. ...

After running the NCAA's fastest 60m dash time over the weekend, Raheem Chambers of the Miami t ...

The Miami women's tennis team retained its spot in the Oracle/ITA top 25, as announced Wednesda ...

Miami women's basketball returns to the Watsco Center on Thursday. ...