Administration, Campus Life, Community

‘Pancakes with Pat’ returns to Hecht Residential College Sept. 11

9F8A7381.JPG

Pat Whitely hands out pancakes during “Pancakes with Pat.” Photo courtesy UM Communications

Students will have a hard choice deciding between chocolate chip, strawberry and sliced banana toppings Wednesday evening, Sept.11 at “Pancakes with Pat” with the Vice President of Student Affairs Pat Whitely.

Wednesday night, Sept. 11 marks the third year of the popular late-night breakfast, where between 750 to 1,000 pancakes are given out.

“I am very generous with passing them out so am usually at least giving 2 pancakes to each student,” said Whitley.

“Pancakes with Pat” first hit campus in 2017, after Whitely visited another campus where a college president was handing out bowls of cereal. It inspired her to bring something similar to the University of Miami that could informally connect her to the students.

Why pancakes?

“Most obviously alliteration!” said Whitely. “But also, I knew that students love late-night breakfast so I was looking to bring students food they like to enjoy at a time that was convenient for students. I also like them a lot too!”

Whitely sponsors the free meal four to six times a year and invites the student government president and chair of “Canes Care for ‘Canes” to pass out pancakes with her.

“In case you didn’t know, I am extremely competitive so I keep a tally of how many more students I give pancakes to,” said Whitely.

The bridge by Hecht Residential College will be the site of tonight’s feast, which begins at 9 p.m.

And, by the way, the toppings also include chocolate sauce, hazelnut spread and whipped cream.

Gabrielle Lord

As vaping becomes more prevalent among the nation’s youth, the University of Miami is working to ste ...

Two Category 5 storms and an unusual number of weak and short-lived storms characterize a season tha ...

Days ahead of Veterans Day, ’Canes across campus worked together to build care packages for deployed ...

Walter Mercado, who died Nov.2, will be buried in his native Puerto Rico on Friday after two days of ...

The new facility will be modeled after the Lennar Foundation Medical Center at the Coral Gables camp ...

The Hurricanes gave their seniors one more memorable game at Hard Rock Stadium Saturday. What can Mi ...

The Miami women's basketball team tipped off the 2019-20 campaign with a win on Sunday, defeati ...

Miami volleyball took down second-place Notre Dame in five sets on Sunday, marking its 10th win of t ...

The Miami men's basketball team will play its first road game of the season Tuesday night at 9 ...

His six scoring tosses Saturday against Louisville set a school record. And Jarren Williams is deter ...