Administration, Campus Life, Community

‘Pancakes with Pat’ returns to Hecht Residential College Sept. 11

9F8A7381.JPG

Pat Whitely hands out pancakes during “Pancakes with Pat.” Photo courtesy UM Communications

Students will have a hard choice deciding between chocolate chip, strawberry and sliced banana toppings Wednesday evening, Sept.11 at “Pancakes with Pat” with the Vice President of Student Affairs Pat Whitely.

Wednesday night, Sept. 11 marks the third year of the popular late-night breakfast, where between 750 to 1,000 pancakes are given out.

“I am very generous with passing them out so am usually at least giving 2 pancakes to each student,” said Whitley.

“Pancakes with Pat” first hit campus in 2017, after Whitely visited another campus where a college president was handing out bowls of cereal. It inspired her to bring something similar to the University of Miami that could informally connect her to the students.

Why pancakes?

“Most obviously alliteration!” said Whitely. “But also, I knew that students love late-night breakfast so I was looking to bring students food they like to enjoy at a time that was convenient for students. I also like them a lot too!”

Whitely sponsors the free meal four to six times a year and invites the student government president and chair of “Canes Care for ‘Canes” to pass out pancakes with her.

“In case you didn’t know, I am extremely competitive so I keep a tally of how many more students I give pancakes to,” said Whitely.

The bridge by Hecht Residential College will be the site of tonight’s feast, which begins at 9 p.m.

And, by the way, the toppings also include chocolate sauce, hazelnut spread and whipped cream.

Gabrielle Lord

Talula Thibault, a senior at the University of Miami and chair of the ECO Agency, will participate i ...

Overturning a widely accepted fact, University of Miami researchers discover that fruit flies hate b ...

The Miami Business School this fall launched a unique and forward-thinking Master of Science in Sust ...

The United States can handle its growing debt a lot better than other countries, such as Argentina, ...

A University of Miami materials engineer is developing a method that will help the aviation industry ...

Miami evened its record with a win over Central Michigan. Now, a quarter of the way through the seas ...

The Hurricanes forced three turnovers and held off a hard-fought effort from Central Michigan, defea ...

Daevenia Achong of the Miami women's tennis team won a pair of matches Sunday to reach the Milw ...

The Hurricanes hung on for a 17-12 win over Central Michigan, but acknowledged there are things they ...

The Miami women's tennis team wrapped up action Sunday at the Miami Fall Invite, posting a 3-1 ...