Administration, Campus Life, Community

‘Pancakes with Pat’ returns to Hecht Residential College Sept. 11

9F8A7381.JPG

Pat Whitely hands out pancakes during “Pancakes with Pat.” Photo courtesy UM Communications

Students will have a hard choice deciding between chocolate chip, strawberry and sliced banana toppings Wednesday evening, Sept.11 at “Pancakes with Pat” with the Vice President of Student Affairs Pat Whitely.

Wednesday night, Sept. 11 marks the third year of the popular late-night breakfast, where between 750 to 1,000 pancakes are given out.

“I am very generous with passing them out so am usually at least giving 2 pancakes to each student,” said Whitley.

“Pancakes with Pat” first hit campus in 2017, after Whitely visited another campus where a college president was handing out bowls of cereal. It inspired her to bring something similar to the University of Miami that could informally connect her to the students.

Why pancakes?

“Most obviously alliteration!” said Whitely. “But also, I knew that students love late-night breakfast so I was looking to bring students food they like to enjoy at a time that was convenient for students. I also like them a lot too!”

Whitely sponsors the free meal four to six times a year and invites the student government president and chair of “Canes Care for ‘Canes” to pass out pancakes with her.

“In case you didn’t know, I am extremely competitive so I keep a tally of how many more students I give pancakes to,” said Whitely.

The bridge by Hecht Residential College will be the site of tonight’s feast, which begins at 9 p.m.

And, by the way, the toppings also include chocolate sauce, hazelnut spread and whipped cream.

Gabrielle Lord

Planet Kreyol and the Office of Multicultural Student Affairs host a remembrance ceremony to salute ...

University of Miami film and media specialists discuss the dynamics—competition, quality, and delive ...

The destruction throughout portions of southwestern Puerto Rico brings back memories of the devastat ...

The unique program ends with students in the nation’s capital, meeting with elected officials, explo ...

University of Miami Laboratory for Integrative Knowledge grantees learn more about the science of te ...

The Miami men's basketball team will welcome ninth-ranked Florida State to the Watsco Center Sa ...

Miami drops a road contest at North Carolina. ...

Miami heads to Chapel Hill on Thursday to take on North Carolina. ...

The Miami men's basketball team fell to NC State, 80-63, Wednesday night at PNC Arena. ...

Sam Waardenburg has been a steady, consistent presence for the Hurricanes during a tough January str ...