Baseball, Sports

Offense powers No. 24 Miami to 18-10 victory over Panthers

The “Mark Light Mob” barked at Florida International University pitcher Will Saxton for one more walk and the southpaw delivered.

With the bases loaded and one out, Saxton issued a free pass to Hurricanes outfielder Tony Jenkins, opening the floodgates in the fourth inning.

No. 24 Miami used a seven-run frame to roar past crosstown foe FIU 18-10 Wednesday evening at Alex Rodriguez Park at Mark Light Field.

“We didn’t play great tonight, but we outslugged them,” UM head coach Gino DiMare said. “Our offense seems to be the one constant all year long, which is the one thing we were concerned about. Our pitching has got to be better.”

The Hurricanes (28-14) drew three walks and were hit twice to plate three runs in the inning.

And then freshman Anthony Vilar broke the game open.

Vilar, who is normally UM’s second baseman, made his first career start at shortstop and ripped a bases-clearing triple down the right-field line to put Miami ahead 8-2.

“It was a low and inside pitch on a 3-1 count,” Vilar said. “I was just trying to get a pitch I can drive and I barreled it up and scored the three runs. That’s what’s most important.”

Two innings later, with UM leading FIU 10-5, designated hitter JP Gates tripled to right center, scoring three runs.

Sophomore outfielder Gabe Rivera launched his fourth home run of the season with a two-run blast in the second and Michael Amditis crushed a solo homer off the scoreboard in the fifth.

“It feels amazing to be able to contribute to this ball club and catch some great pitchers and have a great fielding team,” Amditis said. “It’s just great to be back on the field.”

Despite major absences from its lineup, Miami bounced back from a series loss to then-No. 8 Louisville to match its win total from a season ago with 13 games remaining.

Everyday third baseman Raymond Gil and shortstop Freddy Zamora were sidelined due to injuries. Gil was hit in the face with a grounder in Tuesday’s practice, while Zamora, who started the first 95 games of his career, sat to due to a sore arm.

Hurricanes right-hander Mark Mixon (2-0) tossed two innings in relief to notch his second victory of the season. Panthers sophomore Everett Hurst (1-3) picked up the loss.

Despite Jose Garcia’s two-run blast in the first inning, FIU (17-23) could not reclaim its early 2-0 lead.

The Panthers bullpen surrendered seven walks in the loss. 

Miami opens a three-game series against the Virginia Tech Hokies 7 p.m. Friday, April 26 at Alex Rodriguez at Mark Light Field.

“We’ve come a long way, but we’re certainly not done yet,” Amditis said. “We have a lot more to show and I think everyone is excited to show what we have.”

Maxwell Trink

One of the reasons Manny Diaz overhauled his recruiting department when he took over as UM’s coach i ...

Connor McLaughlin never gave much thought to the Miami Hurricanes when he was younger. Even though h ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ 2020 recruiting class continues to grow. Three-star Deerfield Beach wide recei ...

Chaminade-Madonna in Hollywood has produced some distinguished alums, including ESPN (and Miami Hera ...

Columbus was a popular destination for coaches throughout the first full week of May this spring. On ...

Academics met at the University of Miami to plan the next phase of a study looking at how journalist ...

Former University of Miami student Elio M. Garcia, Jr. and his wife Linda Antonsson discuss their jo ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are using big data to identify affordable housing opportuniti ...

From office furniture to electronics to kitchen items, the University of Miami sells surplus propert ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are studying zebrafish to understand human genetics and ident ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team secured her spot in the NCAA ...

Six members of the Miami track and field team earned a spot at the 2019 NCAA Outdoor Championships i ...

Former Miami women's basketball standout Emese Hof will begin her overseas professional career ...

It took extra innings, but the Canes dropped their final game of pool play at the 2019 ACC Baseball ...

The Student-Athlete Development department has grown in size and scope and become an integral part o ...