Art, Edge

Modern Russian art exhibit opens at Lowe

Last Thursday, the Lowe Art Museum unveiled its newest exhibit: “ArtLab @ the Lowe: Russia Unframed.” On view from this Apr. 18 until Mar. 29 of next year, the exhibit showcases modern, avant-garde Russian art.

The goal of the exhibit is to celebrate the diversity of Russian modernist styles by bringing together “disparate artists and styles that defy a single definition,” the curators say.

Comprised of paintings, drawings, sculpture and photography, “Russia Unframed” shows that there are infinite ways artists can represent their radical thoughts. Featuring Russian modernists such as David Burlyuk, Anna Leporskaya and Anastasia Khoroshilova, this exhibit gives its viewers a glimpse into the growing diversity of contemporary Russia.

file-4.jpeg

Lowe Art Museum revealed its new "Russia Unframed" exhibit Thursday, Apr. 18, which was curated by Artlab students from the College of Arts & Sciences. Photo Courtesy Bridget O’Brien

The opening of “Russia Unframed” marks the tenth year the University of Miami’s ArtLab has put on student-curated exhibitions. An opportunity for student artists to gain curating and museum experience, it shows that UM has some very dedicated artists.

“It was very well put together,” said Jeffrey Larson, a photography professor in the College of Arts and Sciences.

Admission into the opening reception was free and open to the public. Unlike other art receptions at the Lowe, this one was smaller and more intimate.

With the soft jazz of a guitar and saxophone duet in the background, guests enjoyed cheese platters, empanadas and spreads as well as alcohol and soft drinks. Since the reception was less crowded than the popular “Lowe After Hours” events, guests had room to sit at tables and discuss the art surrounding them.

From students to general members of the public, there was a diversity of people attending “Russia Unframed.” Groups such as the State of Florida’s Division of Cultural Affairs and the Miami-Dade Mayor and Board of County Commissioners supported the event, which brought the Miami community together in the name of appreciating great art.

Correction, 6:20 p.m., May 4: A previous version of this article incorrectly referred to the “Russia Unframed” exhibit as a contemporary art showcase, when in reality it is a modern art exhibition. The article has been updated to reflect this information. A photo was also included with the article that displayed works from a different Russian art exhibit at the Lowe. It has been removed and replaced with the current photo.

Veronica Lucchese

A University of Miami College of Engineering researcher is trying to perfect a technique of using lu ...

Through an internship with M. Shanken Communications, rising senior Teddy Willson has contributed to ...

University of Miami alumna Vanessa Garcia recounts her personal journey writing for the highly accla ...

University of Miami religious studies professor Catherine Newell weighs in on some of the big questi ...

NASA wants to return humans to the moon by 2024. A University of Miami engineering graduate is part ...

Two Miami Hurricanes were among those players selected to the preseason watch list for the 25th annu ...

ESPN Events announced Thursday afternoon the bracket for the 2019 Charleston Classic, set to take pl ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday its 2018-19 academic honor roll and 177 University o ...

The ACC Network is set to launch August 22. If your television provider hasn't yet decided to c ...

Claudia De Antonio, Renate Grimstad and Kristyna Frydlova were each selected as WGCA All-American Sc ...