V's Take

Balancing friends with finals

This semester has been rough. I’m super busy with school, work and extra-curriculars, and I feel really overwhelmed all of the time. Because of that, I’m having a hard time balancing my responsibilities with my relationships. I’ve made a lot of new friends this semester, and while I’m super grateful for all of them, I sometimes feel like I’m hanging out with them at the expense of my grades. I hate saying no when to plans because I feel like I’m missing out, but it’s hard to enjoy a night out when I’m constantly worried about the work I should be doing instead. What should I do?

Dear Reader,

Finding a balance between work and play is something most college students struggle with, including me. In fact, I’m so bad at doing this that I recently found myself in a Denny’s at 4:30 a.m. on a Sunday night/Monday morning. I should have been studying for my upcoming exam or getting some much needed sleep— instead, I was eating pancakes and laughing with friends. I had a great time, but now I’m tired. It seems like we both are.

I think we need to remember that relationships are best enjoyed when you’re feeling happy and healthy. That means you’re not anxious about how unprepared you are for an impending exam, you’re not exhausted from weeks without a full eight hours of sleep, and you’re not constantly pushing all of your responsibilities toward some obscure future date. It’s important to prioritize relationships, but don’t underestimate the importance of taking time to focus on your goals and your health. You might have to turn down plans from time to time, but you’ll be an overall happier person and better friend if you’re well rested and stress free. So really, you’re friends will thank you in the long run. And you’ll thank yourself, too.

Love,

V'S Take

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Canes find themselves in the mix for a couple o ...

It was May 2015, and the Miami Herald was reporting for a feature on high school football players ab ...

Deidrick Stanley had his eye on the Miami Hurricanes long before his hometown school finally offered ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ UM has only two Rivals.com five-star recruits on the ...

Even five months ago, it would’ve been hard to picture Jaylan Knighton winding up with the Miami Hur ...

A former UM professor started a company dedicated to publishing books on African-American culture, h ...

A group of School of Architecture students visited the Caribbean nation to learn about the historic ...

Faculty with the Miller School of Medicine and Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science w ...

Patricia “Trish” White, dean of the School of Law, is stepping down at the end of the academic year. ...

At the annual Hug the Lake, sustainability manager Teddy Lhoutellier was honored for improving the e ...

The Hurricanes will open an eight-game homestand with a midweek matchup against crosstown FIU on Wed ...

Talking Track is a series that features current members of the Miami track and field program, while ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame announced that Trajan Bandy is the 26th recipient of the ...

Stone played in 85 career games at University of Florida. ...

The Miami women's tennis team continued its ascent up the national rankings Tuesday, moving up ...