Greek Life, News

Kappa Sigma becomes second fraternity to lose national charter this semester

Update, 10:53 a.m., April 9: Patricia Whitely, UM’s vice president of student affairs, responded to Kappa Sigma’s termination from campus. “The University of Miami consistently communicates a clear set of policies and expectations to all of our Greek organizations that are designed to encourage a safe, healthy and positive experience for UM students,” she said. “The Kappa Sigma National Fraternity advised us that while investigating allegations of misconduct it became clear that the chapter blatantly violated policies of both the fraternity and the university. We therefore support Kappa Sigma’s decision to close the chapter at this time.”

The University of Miami’s Epsilon-Beta chapter of the Kappa Sigma fraternity had its national charter revoked April 5 by the organization’s Supreme Executive Committee.

Brothers of the chapter received a statement from Mitchell B. Wilson, the Kappa Sigma executive director, informing them of the decision. According to the statement, the committee withdrew the chapter’s national charter due to code of conduct violations.

“The Supreme Executive Committee of the Kappa Sigma Fraternity regrets that this action was necessary,” the statement said.

The statement instructed members to cease operations immediately, saying that any attempt to operate the organization illicitly could result in suspension, expulsion and possibly legal action.

The former chapter will have 30 days to appeal the decision if its members choose to do so.

This is the second UM fraternity to have its national chapter revoked within the span of a month. The Alpha Omega chapter of Zeta Beta Tau ceased operations March 18 after its national organization withdrew the charter following an investigation into the group’s social policies.

This is a developing story that will be updated as more information becomes available.

Rebecca Goddard

The series—which will feature experts discussing their groundbreaking research on corals, ocean and atmospheric science, and how climate change is forcing communities to alter their long-range plans—will begin this week. ...

Octavia Bridges, a 20-year veteran of the University of Miami Police Department, has been promoted to oversee crime prevention and community relations on the Coral Gables Campus. ...

The Jan. 6 Capitol insurrection has given social scientists and psychologists another example to examine the behavior and actions of groups. ...

Some experts believe that pent-up demand will push the economy into a rebound after the majority of the U.S. population receives the COVID-19 vaccine. ...

All students are required to test negative for COVID-19 before attending any in-person classes, programs, or work shifts on any University of Miami campus. With the start of classes Monday, here is the critical information students need to know. ...