Greek Life, News

Kappa Sigma becomes second fraternity to lose national charter this semester

Update, 10:53 a.m., April 9: Patricia Whitely, UM’s vice president of student affairs, responded to Kappa Sigma’s termination from campus. “The University of Miami consistently communicates a clear set of policies and expectations to all of our Greek organizations that are designed to encourage a safe, healthy and positive experience for UM students,” she said. “The Kappa Sigma National Fraternity advised us that while investigating allegations of misconduct it became clear that the chapter blatantly violated policies of both the fraternity and the university. We therefore support Kappa Sigma’s decision to close the chapter at this time.”

The University of Miami’s Epsilon-Beta chapter of the Kappa Sigma fraternity had its national charter revoked April 5 by the organization’s Supreme Executive Committee.

Brothers of the chapter received a statement from Mitchell B. Wilson, the Kappa Sigma executive director, informing them of the decision. According to the statement, the committee withdrew the chapter’s national charter due to code of conduct violations.

“The Supreme Executive Committee of the Kappa Sigma Fraternity regrets that this action was necessary,” the statement said.

The statement instructed members to cease operations immediately, saying that any attempt to operate the organization illicitly could result in suspension, expulsion and possibly legal action.

The former chapter will have 30 days to appeal the decision if its members choose to do so.

This is the second UM fraternity to have its national chapter revoked within the span of a month. The Alpha Omega chapter of Zeta Beta Tau ceased operations March 18 after its national organization withdrew the charter following an investigation into the group’s social policies.

This is a developing story that will be updated as more information becomes available.

Rebecca Goddard

Deidrick Stanley had his eye on the Miami Hurricanes long before his hometown school finally offered ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ UM has only two Rivals.com five-star recruits on the ...

Even five months ago, it would’ve been hard to picture Jaylan Knighton winding up with the Miami Hur ...

UM offensive coordinator Dan Enos on Monday addressed the quarterback situation in this piece, culle ...

University of Florida big man Keith Stone, a 6-8 and 254-pound Deerfield Beach native, is heading cl ...

A former UM professor started a company dedicated to publishing books on African-American culture, h ...

A group of School of Architecture students visited the Caribbean nation to learn about the historic ...

Faculty with the Miller School of Medicine and Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science w ...

Patricia “Trish” White, dean of the School of Law, is stepping down at the end of the academic year. ...

At the annual Hug the Lake, sustainability manager Teddy Lhoutellier was honored for improving the e ...

The Hurricanes will open an eight-game homestand with a midweek matchup against crosstown FIU on Wed ...

Talking Track is a series that features current members of the Miami track and field program, while ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame announced that Trajan Bandy is the 26th recipient of the ...

Stone played in 85 career games at University of Florida. ...

The Miami women's tennis team continued its ascent up the national rankings Tuesday, moving up ...