Greek Life, News

Kappa Sigma becomes second fraternity to lose national charter this semester

Update, 10:53 a.m., April 9: Patricia Whitely, UM’s vice president of student affairs, responded to Kappa Sigma’s termination from campus. “The University of Miami consistently communicates a clear set of policies and expectations to all of our Greek organizations that are designed to encourage a safe, healthy and positive experience for UM students,” she said. “The Kappa Sigma National Fraternity advised us that while investigating allegations of misconduct it became clear that the chapter blatantly violated policies of both the fraternity and the university. We therefore support Kappa Sigma’s decision to close the chapter at this time.”

The University of Miami’s Epsilon-Beta chapter of the Kappa Sigma fraternity had its national charter revoked April 5 by the organization’s Supreme Executive Committee.

Brothers of the chapter received a statement from Mitchell B. Wilson, the Kappa Sigma executive director, informing them of the decision. According to the statement, the committee withdrew the chapter’s national charter due to code of conduct violations.

“The Supreme Executive Committee of the Kappa Sigma Fraternity regrets that this action was necessary,” the statement said.

The statement instructed members to cease operations immediately, saying that any attempt to operate the organization illicitly could result in suspension, expulsion and possibly legal action.

The former chapter will have 30 days to appeal the decision if its members choose to do so.

This is the second UM fraternity to have its national chapter revoked within the span of a month. The Alpha Omega chapter of Zeta Beta Tau ceased operations March 18 after its national organization withdrew the charter following an investigation into the group’s social policies.

This is a developing story that will be updated as more information becomes available.

Rebecca Goddard

Fredrick Eaford was quick to make it clear the Miami Hurricanes were his dream team to commit to. Af ...

Linebacker might be the most important position for the Miami Hurricanes to recruit in the Class of ...

Issiah Walker Jr. won’t be at Paradise Camp on Saturday. Instead of attending the Miami Hurricanes’ ...

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

The University of Miami Black Alumni Society is hosting a number of Juneteenth events around the cou ...

The University of Miami Rosenstiel School’s Rescue a Reef program teams up with the NFL and others t ...

The Frost Chopin Festival and Academy at the University of Miami provides unparalleled experiences f ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The Miami women's basketball team will face Indiana at the Watsco Center in the 2019 Big Ten/AC ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...