Community, Cover, News, Politics

Governor announces appointment of UM law school alumnae to judicial court

Many people gathered inside the Kislak Center at the University of Miami March 27 to hear a message from Governor Ron DeSantis.

At the moment the audience had been anticipating, DeSantis announced two appointments to the Eleventh Judicial Circuit Court. The new judges both graduated from the University of Miami School of Law: Michelle Alvarez Barakat and Tanya Brinkley.

_DSC3313.jpg

Michelle Alvarez Barakat, left, and Tanya Brinkley, right, are newly appointed judges to Miami's Eleventh Judicial Circuit Court. They are both alumna of UM's School of Law. Photo credit: Hunter Crenian

Executive vice president of UM, Jeffrey Duerk, introduced DeSantis and applauded the governor’s vision for the future of Florida. The introduction was followed by rounds of applause.

“It’s great that I can come today and show some love for the U,” said DeSantis, noting that the two newly appointed women graduated with their Juris Doctorate from the University of Miami School of Law.

Brinkley is originally from Pennsylvania and attended undergraduate school at Howard University, while Barakat is a Miami native who received her undergraduate degree as well as her law degree at the U. The two have been a part of the Miami-Dade County Court since 2013.

_DSC3113.jpg

Governor Ron DeSantis announced his newest Miami judicial appointees at UM's Kislak Center March 27. Photo credit: Hunter Crenian

“I was confident that they had the integrity, the intellect, the appreciation of the important role that judges play, but also the limited role that judges play, as well as an appreciation for the separation of powers,” said DeSantis.

Barakat began by complimenting DeSantis’ ideals and ensuring the public that she has “taken her oath as a judge, and will continue to serve as [she has].” She thanked the governor, her colleagues and her family.

Brinkley said she was happy to see this announcement occur at UM, the alma mater that provided her with comfort and support while she was simultaneously a student and a mother. On the verge of tears, she thanked DeSantis, her friends and her family.

“I’m very excited,” said Siddiq Canty, Brinkley’s son. “It’s been a long time coming. Thank you to the University of Miami for teaching her.”

Noor Khaled

A reflection on the unparalleled career of a true public servant, a man respected across the country ...

The improvements to the IM fields offer a safer, more efficient field for the University community. ...

President Donald Trump’s letter to the Turkish president has been looked at as undiplomatic and unpr ...

The LGBTQ Student Center and SpectrUM invite the UM community to show their true colors during LGBT ...

Miller School of Medicine students are visiting barbershops to offer free health screenings to Afric ...

RSS Error: A feed could not be found at http://www.hurricanesports.com/rss.aspx. A feed with an invalid mime type may fall victim to this error, or SimplePie was unable to auto-discover it.. Use force_feed() if you are certain this URL is a real feed.