Community, Cover, News, Politics

Governor announces appointment of UM law school alumnae to judicial court

Many people gathered inside the Kislak Center at the University of Miami March 27 to hear a message from Governor Ron DeSantis.

At the moment the audience had been anticipating, DeSantis announced two appointments to the Eleventh Judicial Circuit Court. The new judges both graduated from the University of Miami School of Law: Michelle Alvarez Barakat and Tanya Brinkley.

_DSC3313.jpg

Michelle Alvarez Barakat, left, and Tanya Brinkley, right, are newly appointed judges to Miami's Eleventh Judicial Circuit Court. They are both alumna of UM's School of Law. Photo credit: Hunter Crenian

Executive vice president of UM, Jeffrey Duerk, introduced DeSantis and applauded the governor’s vision for the future of Florida. The introduction was followed by rounds of applause.

“It’s great that I can come today and show some love for the U,” said DeSantis, noting that the two newly appointed women graduated with their Juris Doctorate from the University of Miami School of Law.

Brinkley is originally from Pennsylvania and attended undergraduate school at Howard University, while Barakat is a Miami native who received her undergraduate degree as well as her law degree at the U. The two have been a part of the Miami-Dade County Court since 2013.

_DSC3113.jpg

Governor Ron DeSantis announced his newest Miami judicial appointees at UM's Kislak Center March 27. Photo credit: Hunter Crenian

“I was confident that they had the integrity, the intellect, the appreciation of the important role that judges play, but also the limited role that judges play, as well as an appreciation for the separation of powers,” said DeSantis.

Barakat began by complimenting DeSantis’ ideals and ensuring the public that she has “taken her oath as a judge, and will continue to serve as [she has].” She thanked the governor, her colleagues and her family.

Brinkley said she was happy to see this announcement occur at UM, the alma mater that provided her with comfort and support while she was simultaneously a student and a mother. On the verge of tears, she thanked DeSantis, her friends and her family.

“I’m very excited,” said Siddiq Canty, Brinkley’s son. “It’s been a long time coming. Thank you to the University of Miami for teaching her.”

Noor Khaled

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Canes find themselves in the mix for a couple o ...

It was May 2015, and the Miami Herald was reporting for a feature on high school football players ab ...

Deidrick Stanley had his eye on the Miami Hurricanes long before his hometown school finally offered ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ UM has only two Rivals.com five-star recruits on the ...

Even five months ago, it would’ve been hard to picture Jaylan Knighton winding up with the Miami Hur ...

A former UM professor started a company dedicated to publishing books on African-American culture, h ...

A group of School of Architecture students visited the Caribbean nation to learn about the historic ...

Faculty with the Miller School of Medicine and Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science w ...

Patricia “Trish” White, dean of the School of Law, is stepping down at the end of the academic year. ...

At the annual Hug the Lake, sustainability manager Teddy Lhoutellier was honored for improving the e ...

The Hurricanes will open an eight-game homestand with a midweek matchup against crosstown FIU on Wed ...

Talking Track is a series that features current members of the Miami track and field program, while ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame announced that Trajan Bandy is the 26th recipient of the ...

Stone played in 85 career games at University of Florida. ...

The Miami women's tennis team continued its ascent up the national rankings Tuesday, moving up ...