V's Take

How to deal with the boyfriend question

My grandparents came to visit last week, and although it was nice to see them, things got a little awkward when my grandma asked my least favorite question in the entire world: “So, why don’t you have a boyfriend?” I’m a junior in college and I’ve never had a serious boyfriend, so my family members ask this ALL the time. I know they aren’t trying to be mean or anything, but it’s something I’m insecure about and I never know how to react. Every time someone asks me about my love life (or lack thereof), I feel like there’s something wrong with me because I don’t have anything to say. What should I do?

Dear Reader,

There’s two parts to my answer. First, I want you to know that you never have to answer a question that makes you uncomfortable. Your family members are being nosy when they ask personal questions like this out of the blue. I’m giving you permission to tell your grandma to f**k off. Well, not in those words of course, but there’s nothing wrong with politely declining to answer and then quickly changing the subject. Make like Neo from “The Matrix” and dodge some conversational bullets.

Second, there’s absolutely nothing wrong with being single. It doesn’t make you defective or weird. I speak from experience when I say that it’s much better to be alone than to be dating someone who doesn’t value you. Think about this: you could be dating a frat boy who exclusively listens to 6ix9ine and has never even heard the word “clitoritis,” but you’re a smart, independent woman, so you’re not doing that. Instead, you’re waiting it out, enjoying life as you remember that love doesn’t have a due date. There’s no “correct” age to start dating. It will happen when it happens, and until then, all you should do is remain open to the possibility of new relationships. And of course, love yourself– that’s way more important than any boyfriend.

Best,

V'S Take

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Canes find themselves in the mix for a couple o ...

It was May 2015, and the Miami Herald was reporting for a feature on high school football players ab ...

Deidrick Stanley had his eye on the Miami Hurricanes long before his hometown school finally offered ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ UM has only two Rivals.com five-star recruits on the ...

Even five months ago, it would’ve been hard to picture Jaylan Knighton winding up with the Miami Hur ...

A former UM professor started a company dedicated to publishing books on African-American culture, h ...

A group of School of Architecture students visited the Caribbean nation to learn about the historic ...

Faculty with the Miller School of Medicine and Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science w ...

Patricia “Trish” White, dean of the School of Law, is stepping down at the end of the academic year. ...

At the annual Hug the Lake, sustainability manager Teddy Lhoutellier was honored for improving the e ...

The Hurricanes will open an eight-game homestand with a midweek matchup against crosstown FIU on Wed ...

Talking Track is a series that features current members of the Miami track and field program, while ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame announced that Trajan Bandy is the 26th recipient of the ...

Stone played in 85 career games at University of Florida. ...

The Miami women's tennis team continued its ascent up the national rankings Tuesday, moving up ...