Campus Life, News

Mahoney-Pearson dining hall dishwashing machine breaks down

Patrons of the Mahoney-Pearson Dining Hall had to use plastic plates and utensils after the kitchen’s industrial dishwasher broke down.

According to UM Dining Services, a part of the dishwasher was damaged and a new part has been ordered.

However, in the meantime, Chartwells Food Services, the company in charge of UM’s dining, resorted to plasticware Tuesday and Wednesday in an effort to keep the dining hall in operation.

Megan Clements, director of marketing and guest experience at Chartwells, said the dining halls on campus only resort to plasticware in emergency situations.

“We try our best to reduce and eliminate our use of disposable service ware under normal circumstances,” said Clements.

Clements said there are not currently any statistics on the amount of plasticware the dining hall used this week in response to the broken dishwashing machine.

The dining hall is expected to return to its normal silverware and glassware Thursday, once the part arrives.

Naomi Feinstein

Deidrick Stanley had his eye on the Miami Hurricanes long before his hometown school finally offered ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ UM has only two Rivals.com five-star recruits on the ...

Even five months ago, it would’ve been hard to picture Jaylan Knighton winding up with the Miami Hur ...

UM offensive coordinator Dan Enos on Monday addressed the quarterback situation in this piece, culle ...

University of Florida big man Keith Stone, a 6-8 and 254-pound Deerfield Beach native, is heading cl ...

A former UM professor started a company dedicated to publishing books on African-American culture, h ...

A group of School of Architecture students visited the Caribbean nation to learn about the historic ...

Faculty with the Miller School of Medicine and Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science w ...

Patricia “Trish” White, dean of the School of Law, is stepping down at the end of the academic year. ...

At the annual Hug the Lake, sustainability manager Teddy Lhoutellier was honored for improving the e ...

The Hurricanes will open an eight-game homestand with a midweek matchup against crosstown FIU on Wed ...

Talking Track is a series that features current members of the Miami track and field program, while ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame announced that Trajan Bandy is the 26th recipient of the ...

Stone played in 85 career games at University of Florida. ...

The Miami women's tennis team continued its ascent up the national rankings Tuesday, moving up ...