Edge, Movies, Reviews

Must-see movie ‘Captain Marvel’ proves fans are ready for female superheros

A pop culture staple, Marvel films are fun, entertaining and empowering. Gearing up for the conclusion of the Avengers franchise, with a movie appropriately titled “Avengers: Endgame,” Marvel is capping phase three of its cinematic universe by presenting new-comer Carol Danvers (aka Captain Marvel), in her very own stand-alone, self-titled film.

With a release date that appropriately lined up with International Women’s Day, “Captain Marvel” is the franchise’s first superhero film centered around a female protagonist—talk about a way to kick-off Women’s History Month. After competitor DC Entertainment released a successful “Wonder Woman” adaptation to a receptive audience, the industry has realized that viewers are very willing to watch a female superhero in action. Although Marvel has a set of female heroes, such as Black Widow, Scarlet Witch and Gamora, none of them have their films centered exclusively on their own narratives and origin stories. This makes “Captain Marvel” the first of what looks like a promising future full of female superhero stories.

MV5BMTE0YWFmOTMtYTU2ZS00ZTIxLWE3OTEtYTNiYzBkZjViZThiXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyODMzMzQ4OTI@._V1_.jpg

Captain Marvel, Marvel's first movie featuring a female protagonist, was released on March 8, coinciding appropriately with International Women's Day. As of March 13, Captain Marvel had gross over $550 million worldwide. Photo credit: imdb.com

The film opens with title character, Carol Danvers, caught in the middle of an intergalactic war between the Kree and Skrull alien races. After a mission gone wrong, she crashes onto 1990s planet Earth and inadvertently begins to unlock secrets of her own past. Shuffling through her fragmented memory, Carol struggles with a battling heart and mind, and grows into her own, finding her place and purpose.

Using incredible special effects, “Captain Marvel” makes complicated sequences easy to follow yet still visually stunning. The movie also does a great job of tackling the 90s aesthetic, making this Earth from not-too-long-ago a fun place for Carol and the viewers to enjoy. There are several old-school technology teases that earn laughs for their signature Marvel humor.

The film does not shy away from highlighting the prominent sexism of the time, exploring the limitations of women in the military and expected social interactions, namely through Carol’s memories. It proudly shows Captain Marvel trying and failing, but most importantly, repeatedly getting back up. The protagonist’s persistence echoes the sentiment behind the film’s tagline sentiments: “Higher. Further. Faster.”

All the cast members deliver on their performance. Brie Larson, starring in the titular role, is a believable spitfire with a knack for getting into trouble. Returning as a younger Nick Fury, Samuel L. Jackson presents an open and charming side of a character who we’d not previously known beyond his iconic scowl and eyepatch. Together this duo makes the movie spark, as they playfully bounce off each other with wit and camaraderie. The scenes during which the space heroine and earth S.H.E.I.L.D agent work together bring true vibrancy to the film. Ben Mendelsohn plays Talos, the Skrull leader, boldly and comfortable, delivering a performance filled with an air of humor and authority.

Captain Marvel struggles with her identity as well as the repercussions of war. These inner conflicts provide deeper insights that delves beyond the typical surface-level backdrop to superhero films. They’re also excellent examples of film’s power to deliver meaningful narratives. These films are not only set to widen their audience, but also widen their ideas.

Ultimately these stories within “Captain Marvel” point towards a better understanding of empathy and loss. The protagonist’s compassion and determination sets her on the right path towards a marvelous adventure. Complete with a loving tribute to the great, late Stan Lee and two post-credit scenes, “Captain Marvel” should be at the top of your spring to-do list.

Laura Quesada

Fredrick Eaford was quick to make it clear the Miami Hurricanes were his dream team to commit to. Af ...

Linebacker might be the most important position for the Miami Hurricanes to recruit in the Class of ...

Issiah Walker Jr. won’t be at Paradise Camp on Saturday. Instead of attending the Miami Hurricanes’ ...

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

The University of Miami Black Alumni Society is hosting a number of Juneteenth events around the cou ...

The University of Miami Rosenstiel School’s Rescue a Reef program teams up with the NFL and others t ...

The Frost Chopin Festival and Academy at the University of Miami provides unparalleled experiences f ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The Miami women's basketball team will face Indiana at the Watsco Center in the 2019 Big Ten/AC ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...