Community, Edge, Music

Hurricane Productions plans to reshape Canes Carnival

The board of HP Concerts announced March 4 that it will change the structure of this semester’s Canes Carnival.

Instead of hiring a smaller artist, as in previous years, Canes Carnival will feature an array of student artists.

Alex Botto, the chair of HP Concerts, said the purpose of the new change is to increase student involvement in the spring event.

“Our vision is to have continuous music from the students throughout the event,” said Botto, who is a junior majoring in psychology, criminology and Spanish. “Sort of like a music festival with student headliners.”

Botto said that the board of HP Concerts believes the event will encourage more students to attend, as they will come to support their friends. She said it will be a valuable opportunity for students to gain experience performing.

Sean Merlin, a sophomore music production major and the vice chair of HP Concerts, echoed this idea, saying the board hopes this new concept will bring attendees from all areas of student life to the event.

“The main issues with Canes Carnival have always been attendance,” said Merlin. “By having a festival of student performers, who will bring their friends to support them for each set, we will reach a much wider and more involved demographic.”

Students can apply to perform by following the process outlined on the HP Concerts social media pages. The event organizers are looking for anyone who is interested in getting to perform on a big stage with professional production.

“From DJs to full bands and everything in between, we are looking to make this basically a huge party to showcase the insane talent on this campus,” Merlin said.

Michelle Marino, a junior electronic media major and the site operation chair of HP Concerts, said that the board wanted to switch things up this year, and get students more excited for the event.

“I hope that students will be as excited as we are,” said Marino. “We think it’ll allow students to get experience in performing on a professional stage and get the concerts name out there in a different way.”

The HP Concerts board will also conduct student surveys throughout the semester. The hope is that the results from the surveys will help the board better plan for the fall 2019 show.

“Our goal this year is to make sure the students’ voices are heard,” said Botto. “While we can only do the best with what we have, we want to make sure we’re making the students as happy and as involved as possible.”

Applications for student performers are open as of March 5, and Canes Carnival will take place April 26.

Olivia Ginsberg

University of Miami alumna Vanessa Garcia recounts her personal journey writing for the highly accla ...

University of Miami religious studies professor Catherine Newell weighs in on some of the big questi ...

NASA wants to return humans to the moon by 2024. A University of Miami engineering graduate is part ...

University of Miami student Kayla Crews has always been fascinated with Japan and its culture. Parti ...

School of Communication senior Leah Brown attended Cannes Lions Festival, one of the largest annual ...

Two Miami Hurricanes were among those players selected to the preseason watch list for the 25th annu ...

ESPN Events announced Thursday afternoon the bracket for the 2019 Charleston Classic, set to take pl ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday its 2018-19 academic honor roll and 177 University o ...

The ACC Network is set to launch August 22. If your television provider hasn't yet decided to c ...

Claudia De Antonio, Renate Grimstad and Kristyna Frydlova were each selected as WGCA All-American Sc ...