Community, Edge

Hurricane Productions celebrates Mardi Gras with food, DJ, free activities

51993346_2319736471393029_8813703122561007616_o.jpg

Photo credit: Facebook, @canesnightlive(CNL)

Every semester, Hurricane Productions’ Canes Night Live committee throws events for students to enjoy in correlation to actual events happening in and around the community. Last Friday, students came to the Shalala Student Center for Canes Night Live’s Mardi Gras Bash.

Similar to most CNL events that take place in the Shalala, students had the opportunity to enjoy three floors of fun. The activities included creating your own phone grips, Mardi Gras medallions, mask mugs and a silent disco. However, this CNL event was different due to the addition of an actual DJ as well as their usual silent disco.

“We got a DJ to play music throughout the SAC because when you walked in, we wanted it to feel like a party,” said Vice Chair of Marketing Jasmin Dakkak.

This time around, the committee tried to shift students’ focus away from food and towards the activities.

“I feel like half the time people are mostly excited about the food, but something that we’ve been working on is getting people to stick around instead of grabbing food and just leaving,” said Secretary Sherise Scott. “We plan these events in hopes that students enjoy their time here and be here for more than 30 minutes.”

Some of their efforts have paid off for freshman Kennedy Farrior, who has attended every CNL event this year from beginning to end.

“I came to CNL because I know that there is a lot of free stuff,” said Farrior. “I made a sign, got some food, and I’m just enjoying my time.”

Farrior also said she was happy to enjoy the fried oreos and the silent disco, the latter of which she called her “favorite thing ever.”

40410003_2081297011903644_7115988535697473536_n.jpg

Canes Night Live's full schedule of events. Photo credit: Facebook, @canesnightlive(CNL)

Keep up with all future events by following @hp_cnl on Instagram or liking Canes Night Live (CNL) on Facebook.

Kayla Foster

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the University of Miami became just the second Hurricanes playe ...

One of the reasons Manny Diaz overhauled his recruiting department when he took over as UM’s coach i ...

Connor McLaughlin never gave much thought to the Miami Hurricanes when he was younger. Even though h ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ 2020 recruiting class continues to grow. Three-star Deerfield Beach wide recei ...

Chaminade-Madonna in Hollywood has produced some distinguished alums, including ESPN (and Miami Hera ...

Academics met at the University of Miami to plan the next phase of a study looking at how journalist ...

Former University of Miami student Elio M. Garcia, Jr. and his wife Linda Antonsson discuss their jo ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are using big data to identify affordable housing opportuniti ...

From office furniture to electronics to kitchen items, the University of Miami sells surplus propert ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are studying zebrafish to understand human genetics and ident ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team dropped the opening set befo ...

Miami track and field punched three more tickets to the 2019 NCAA Outdoor Championships on the final ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team secured her spot in the NCAA ...

Six members of the Miami track and field team earned a spot at the 2019 NCAA Outdoor Championships i ...

Former Miami women's basketball standout Emese Hof will begin her overseas professional career ...