V's Take

Spring break conundrum

I’m going to Cancun for spring break with three of my closest friends, all of whom are single. They keep talking about all the hot guys they’re going to hook up with while we’re away, which is fine except for the fact that I’m in a relationship. I don’t care what they do, but I also don’t want to be left out of all the fun and forced to sit by myself while they flirt the night away. What should I do?

Dear Reader,

Let me just start by saying that situation really sucks. On one hand, you want your friends to have fun, but on the other hand, you don’t want to be left out of the flirt (or f**k) fest. If you ask your friends to make this a girl’s-only trip, you might come across as demanding and, well, a little b*tchy. They probably don’t want to take orders from you. After all, not everyone is in a loving relationship – some of us have to resort to randos in Mexico (or whatever bar we happen to be in) when we’re horny.

So, my advice is to avoid ordering your friends to wear chastity belts. Instead, have a conversation about your expectations and casually (but assertively) address your concerns. Let them know that they are free to hook up with whoever they want (with consent of course), but that you don’t want them to forget about you. If they’re good friends, they should understand.

And be prepared to compromise. Let them end up on “Girls Gone Wild” if they want to, but maybe ask them to limit their thirsty endeavors to only a few nights of the week.

Wishing you the best,

V'S Take

A University of Miami College of Engineering researcher is trying to perfect a technique of using lu ...

Through an internship with M. Shanken Communications, rising senior Teddy Willson has contributed to ...

University of Miami alumna Vanessa Garcia recounts her personal journey writing for the highly accla ...

University of Miami religious studies professor Catherine Newell weighs in on some of the big questi ...

NASA wants to return humans to the moon by 2024. A University of Miami engineering graduate is part ...

Two Miami Hurricanes were among those players selected to the preseason watch list for the 25th annu ...

ESPN Events announced Thursday afternoon the bracket for the 2019 Charleston Classic, set to take pl ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday its 2018-19 academic honor roll and 177 University o ...

The ACC Network is set to launch August 22. If your television provider hasn't yet decided to c ...

Claudia De Antonio, Renate Grimstad and Kristyna Frydlova were each selected as WGCA All-American Sc ...