Cover, Op-Ed, Opinion

The importance of internships

As college students, we’re not new to the world of commitment and diligence. It is what we all practiced to make it to the University of Miami. While we were in high school, we worked really hard so that we could make ourselves viable candidates for prestigious colleges and universities.

Of course, once we made it to our Coral Gables campus, we all realized our work is far from done. We always knew that we’d have to be studious in college. But to make it in today’s job market, you need to do more than just work hard. It’s a tough world out there, so tough that it’s not uncommon for students to remain jobless for some time after graduation. There is hope though, as the class of 2018 and 2019 graduates are entering one of the healthiest job markets in decades. There will be tough competition among graduates for jobs because of the continuous growth streak among the college labor market, according to Michigan State University’s Recruiting Trends, the largest annual survey of employers in the nation. Even though the job market has good prospects right now, it doesn’t stop us from worrying about whether our time in college will prove to be a good investment.

There is a collective anxiety among college students: We know it’s hard to get a decent job out of college, and we know we need to constantly be doing something to help our post-grad job prospects.

What this means for us as students and future graduates is that we indefinitely need to do more to stand out to future employers. Internships are one way for college students to gain experience while still enrolled in classes. Internships give you a glimpse into the workforce and allow you to put your classroom knowledge to use. We know that getting jobs and internships, especially in your desired field, looks good on your resume and helps build the foundation for your future career, but they do other important things as well.

Having an internship gives you critical skills. You get to interact with people in a professional setting, and your employers also get to witness your knowledge in action. We might not think that this is important to employers, but they are really looking for skills that we cannot necessarily acquire through a college education. A report by the Association of American Colleges and Universities states that employers are looking for “general workplace skills” such as creative thinking and interpersonal communication. However, these same employers often find that students are missing these skills.

Internships also allow you to network. Forming relationships with people in your field can prove to be a great investment. Networking has opened up doors for many people and can even lead to another internship or a permanent job opportunity. Networking can lead you to a mentor or a professional contact who can guide you along your college career. It can even propel you forward long after graduation.

It is officially #internshipseason, as most applications are open, and their deadlines are approaching. You may or may not have thought about it yet, but take this as your sign to start applying.

If the internship is big or small, apply. If it’s in a far-away city, apply. Even if it’s not in your field, apply.

Visit our very own Toppel Career Center for help with applications. They also have student-peer advisors to assist you with interviews or resumes. Attend Toppel’s Spring Career Expo this Tuesday to meet recruiters, take professional headshots and potentially get an internship. Go above and beyond, and you just might make it.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

Editorial Board

Three-point defense isn’t enough of a weakness for the Miami Hurricanes to call it a full-fledged Ac ...

Shaquille Quarterman waited less than 24 hours after Michael Pinckney announced he was returning for ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Two highly skilled receivers who ended last season frust ...

Whenever quarterback Tate Martell hurls a football to University of Miami slot receiver Mike Harley, ...

Manny Diaz is the dealer. The pusher. He is good at this. Really good. And what he is selling, we ar ...

The Liaison Committee on Medical Education approved plans developed by the Miller School of Medicine ...

Activist Claudio Rojas was featured in a documentary film, “The Infiltrators,” which is critical of ...

Associate professors William Pestle and Kathleen Sullivan Sealey traveled with students over spring ...

Muslim Students of the University of Miami will hold a prayer service at 12:45 p.m. Friday at the La ...

The theme of the 48th annual Women’s Commission Breakfast keynote address, delivered by Dean Laura K ...

The fourth-seeded Miami women's basketball team opens NCAA Tournament play on its home court fo ...

Make no mistake about it – the college paths of this dynamic Miami offensive duo are as stark in con ...

University of Miami redshirt sophomore Alicia Blagg captured the first NCAA postseason recognition o ...

It is hard not to think of Miami's Amy Deem when you think of trail blazers in the track and f ...

Friday will be the Breast Cancer Awareness Pink Game, while Saturday is Bark in the Park. ...