V's Take

Helping your friend get out of an unhealthy relationship

I’ve recently noticed that my friend has a very toxic relationship with her boyfriend. Nothing abusive is going on, but they’re definitely codependent on each other and I can see that it’s unhealthy. I want to help her, but I don’t know if it’s any of my business, especially since we drifted apart after they started dating. What should I do?

Dear Reader,

This is a tough one. In situations like these, there’s often a thin line between eye-opening confrontation and friendship-ending aggression. If your friend is head-over-heels in love with this guy, she’ll probably interpret your words as the latter, regardless of your tone and intention. So, I get it, confrontation is scary. But in this case, it sounds like it’s necessary.

Unhealthy codependence is the sign of a deeper problem in the relationship, and definitely has the potential to escalate into something worse. If you’re genuinely concerned about your friend, don’t just stand by and let her be mistreated. She might be upset in the short term, but I’m sure that she’ll thank you once she takes off those rose-tinted glasses and sees the situation for what it is. If you can be the one to help her do that, don’t wait until it’s too late.

Sit down and have an honest conversation. Don’t be accusatory and don’t just talk about how much you hate her boyfriend (no matter how much you may want to), because that won’t accomplish anything. Your friend will get defensive and the conversation will be over along with your friendship.

Instead, make sure she’s comfortable and speak from a place of genuine concern rather than selfish annoyance. I know this can be especially difficult considering you’re not as close as you used to be, but if you still care about her (and it sounds like you do), then you need to take the high road and do the right thing.

Best of luck,

Do you have any burning questions that you want answered? Email v@themiamihurricane.com to have your question featured in next week’s issue.

V'S Take

A week full of spirit, friendly competition and ’Canes pride was on display during Homecoming and Al ...

Griffin Berkenfeld, a University of Miami senior and director of CaneStage’s upcoming production of ...

With public impeachment hearings set to begin Wednesday, University of Miami experts weigh in on wha ...

University of Miami experts weigh in on the changes in Miami, and what the future could bring to nei ...

The history of the Caribbean city will be examined during a two-day symposium this week featuring ar ...

Buoyed by a game-best 17 points and a career-high 10 rebounds from Kameron McGusty, who posted his f ...

The Miami men's basketball team will play its first road game of the season Tuesday night at 9 ...

Katie Meier has sent more than a few of her assistant coaches on to direct their own programs. And W ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team will take the court on Wednesday morning in fro ...

The Hurricanes gave their seniors one more memorable game at Hard Rock Stadium Saturday. What can Mi ...