Basketball, Commentary, Sports

ACC Predictions: Rivals clash for second time this season

12 p.m. Feb. 24 – No. 14 Miami vs. No. 22 Florida State 

Miami welcomes rival Florida State to the Watsco Center on Sunday for their six matchup with a ranked opponent this season.

Florida State emerged with a 62-58 home victory in a sloppy game in which both teams shot less than 37 percent from the floor during the teams’ first matchup less than one month ago.

If the Seminoles win, Florida State would hold the tiebreaker over Miami and make the Hurricanes’ path to a double-bye in the Atlantic Coast Conference Tournament much tougher.

Redshirt junior forward Kiah Gillespie, who buried Miami in the last meeting with 18 second-half points, leads FSU in scoring and rebounding.

Fellow junior Nicki Ekhomu backs up Gillespie’s 16.8 points per game with an average of 15.3 points, while also leading the squad in assists at 3.9 per game.

However, Florida State (21-5, 9-4 ACC) struggles mightily with 3-point shooting. The Seminoles shoot just 28 percent from beyond the arc, the worst mark in the conference.

The Hurricanes (22-6, 10-3 ACC) should force their rival to chuck away from deep and get out in transition from the resulting long rebounds.

Double-double machine Beatrice Mompremier and reigning espnW National Player of the Week Emese Hof have caused matchup problems for their opponents all year long.

The Hurricanes have avoided consecutive losses the entire season and that shouldn’t change in front of the home fans. Look for Hof to have a big day in the final rivalry game of her Miami career.

Prediction: Miami 65 — Florida State 60

Justin Sobelman

The Miami Hurricanes’ 2020 recruiting class continues to grow. Three-star Deerfield Beach wide recei ...

Chaminade-Madonna in Hollywood has produced some distinguished alums, including ESPN (and Miami Hera ...

Columbus was a popular destination for coaches throughout the first full week of May this spring. On ...

With Mark Walton (cut by Cincinnati) and Kendrick Norton (released by Carolina), the Dolphins have n ...

Perhaps no one but Kellen Winslow II knows for sure when his deep dive began from beloved University ...

Former University of Miami student Elio M. Garcia, Jr. and his wife Linda Antonsson discuss their jo ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are using big data to identify affordable housing opportuniti ...

From office furniture to electronics to kitchen items, the University of Miami sells surplus propert ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are studying zebrafish to understand human genetics and ident ...

Behavioral scientists establish a new mental health research center at the University of Miami to ha ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team edged No. 77 Paola Diaz-Delg ...

Redshirt junior Brian Van Belle will take the mound in Miami's ACC Baseball Championship opener ...

The Bowling Green, Ky., native joins the Hurricanes after spending two seasons at Liberty. ...

The quest for a spot at the 2019 NCAA Outdoor Championships begins Thursday for Miami's track a ...

Talking Track is a series that features current members of the Miami track and field program, while ...