Basketball, Commentary, Sports

ACC Predictions: Rivals clash for second time this season

12 p.m. Feb. 24 – No. 14 Miami vs. No. 22 Florida State 

Miami welcomes rival Florida State to the Watsco Center on Sunday for their six matchup with a ranked opponent this season.

Florida State emerged with a 62-58 home victory in a sloppy game in which both teams shot less than 37 percent from the floor during the teams’ first matchup less than one month ago.

If the Seminoles win, Florida State would hold the tiebreaker over Miami and make the Hurricanes’ path to a double-bye in the Atlantic Coast Conference Tournament much tougher.

Redshirt junior forward Kiah Gillespie, who buried Miami in the last meeting with 18 second-half points, leads FSU in scoring and rebounding.

Fellow junior Nicki Ekhomu backs up Gillespie’s 16.8 points per game with an average of 15.3 points, while also leading the squad in assists at 3.9 per game.

However, Florida State (21-5, 9-4 ACC) struggles mightily with 3-point shooting. The Seminoles shoot just 28 percent from beyond the arc, the worst mark in the conference.

The Hurricanes (22-6, 10-3 ACC) should force their rival to chuck away from deep and get out in transition from the resulting long rebounds.

Double-double machine Beatrice Mompremier and reigning espnW National Player of the Week Emese Hof have caused matchup problems for their opponents all year long.

The Hurricanes have avoided consecutive losses the entire season and that shouldn’t change in front of the home fans. Look for Hof to have a big day in the final rivalry game of her Miami career.

Prediction: Miami 65 — Florida State 60

Justin Sobelman

Three-point defense isn’t enough of a weakness for the Miami Hurricanes to call it a full-fledged Ac ...

Shaquille Quarterman waited less than 24 hours after Michael Pinckney announced he was returning for ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Two highly skilled receivers who ended last season frust ...

Whenever quarterback Tate Martell hurls a football to University of Miami slot receiver Mike Harley, ...

Manny Diaz is the dealer. The pusher. He is good at this. Really good. And what he is selling, we ar ...

The Liaison Committee on Medical Education approved plans developed by the Miller School of Medicine ...

Activist Claudio Rojas was featured in a documentary film, “The Infiltrators,” which is critical of ...

Associate professors William Pestle and Kathleen Sullivan Sealey traveled with students over spring ...

Muslim Students of the University of Miami will hold a prayer service at 12:45 p.m. Friday at the La ...

The theme of the 48th annual Women’s Commission Breakfast keynote address, delivered by Dean Laura K ...

The fourth-seeded Miami women's basketball team opens NCAA Tournament play on its home court fo ...

Make no mistake about it – the college paths of this dynamic Miami offensive duo are as stark in con ...

University of Miami redshirt sophomore Alicia Blagg captured the first NCAA postseason recognition o ...

It is hard not to think of Miami's Amy Deem when you think of trail blazers in the track and f ...

Friday will be the Breast Cancer Awareness Pink Game, while Saturday is Bark in the Park. ...