Basketball, Commentary, Sports

ACC Predictions: Rivals clash for second time this season

12 p.m. Feb. 24 – No. 14 Miami vs. No. 22 Florida State 

Miami welcomes rival Florida State to the Watsco Center on Sunday for their six matchup with a ranked opponent this season.

Florida State emerged with a 62-58 home victory in a sloppy game in which both teams shot less than 37 percent from the floor during the teams’ first matchup less than one month ago.

If the Seminoles win, Florida State would hold the tiebreaker over Miami and make the Hurricanes’ path to a double-bye in the Atlantic Coast Conference Tournament much tougher.

Redshirt junior forward Kiah Gillespie, who buried Miami in the last meeting with 18 second-half points, leads FSU in scoring and rebounding.

Fellow junior Nicki Ekhomu backs up Gillespie’s 16.8 points per game with an average of 15.3 points, while also leading the squad in assists at 3.9 per game.

However, Florida State (21-5, 9-4 ACC) struggles mightily with 3-point shooting. The Seminoles shoot just 28 percent from beyond the arc, the worst mark in the conference.

The Hurricanes (22-6, 10-3 ACC) should force their rival to chuck away from deep and get out in transition from the resulting long rebounds.

Double-double machine Beatrice Mompremier and reigning espnW National Player of the Week Emese Hof have caused matchup problems for their opponents all year long.

The Hurricanes have avoided consecutive losses the entire season and that shouldn’t change in front of the home fans. Look for Hof to have a big day in the final rivalry game of her Miami career.

Prediction: Miami 65 — Florida State 60

Justin Sobelman

University of Miami alumna Vanessa Garcia recounts her personal journey writing for the highly accla ...

University of Miami religious studies professor Catherine Newell weighs in on some of the big questi ...

NASA wants to return humans to the moon by 2024. A University of Miami engineering graduate is part ...

University of Miami student Kayla Crews has always been fascinated with Japan and its culture. Parti ...

School of Communication senior Leah Brown attended Cannes Lions Festival, one of the largest annual ...

Two Miami Hurricanes were among those players selected to the preseason watch list for the 25th annu ...

ESPN Events announced Thursday afternoon the bracket for the 2019 Charleston Classic, set to take pl ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday its 2018-19 academic honor roll and 177 University o ...

The ACC Network is set to launch August 22. If your television provider hasn't yet decided to c ...

Claudia De Antonio, Renate Grimstad and Kristyna Frydlova were each selected as WGCA All-American Sc ...