Letters to the Editor, Opinion

A point of clarity regarding student government elections

I am writing this letter to the editor to address a previous opinion piece written by our current student body president, Evan de Joya. I would like to take a moment to applaud Mr. de Joya for his willingness to stand up for our university’s governing body and share his experience working alongside the organization. As de Joya previously stated, Student Government exists “to advocate for and represent the undergraduate student body” as a whole.

However, portraying some students’ view of Student Government as nothing more than “an event-planning service,” is, at the least, grossly over exaggerated and not warranted with only two days left in this election.

What has been underappreciated throughout the entire election cycle is how this clash of student leaders actually brings to light the importance of our Student Government. By participating in dialog and bringing unprecedented energy to this election, we have seen students from all corners of our university realize that they have a voice that truly matters; that is the representation that we need. When this happens, we bring about the necessary change, or progress, students will feel long after this race has been called.

Although I have not been a member of Student Government myself, the roles that those passionate about The U take on are incredibly important to our institution. Moreover, the constituents they represent and the issues that matter to them should be equally important to Student Government. When we can come to accept this reality, even during a contentious election, we all win.

-Kyle W. Kingma

Senior finance and economics major

Kyle Kingma

Three-point defense isn’t enough of a weakness for the Miami Hurricanes to call it a full-fledged Ac ...

Shaquille Quarterman waited less than 24 hours after Michael Pinckney announced he was returning for ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Two highly skilled receivers who ended last season frust ...

Whenever quarterback Tate Martell hurls a football to University of Miami slot receiver Mike Harley, ...

Manny Diaz is the dealer. The pusher. He is good at this. Really good. And what he is selling, we ar ...

The Liaison Committee on Medical Education approved plans developed by the Miller School of Medicine ...

Activist Claudio Rojas was featured in a documentary film, “The Infiltrators,” which is critical of ...

Associate professors William Pestle and Kathleen Sullivan Sealey traveled with students over spring ...

Muslim Students of the University of Miami will hold a prayer service at 12:45 p.m. Friday at the La ...

The theme of the 48th annual Women’s Commission Breakfast keynote address, delivered by Dean Laura K ...

The fourth-seeded Miami women's basketball team opens NCAA Tournament play on its home court fo ...

Make no mistake about it – the college paths of this dynamic Miami offensive duo are as stark in con ...

University of Miami redshirt sophomore Alicia Blagg captured the first NCAA postseason recognition o ...

It is hard not to think of Miami's Amy Deem when you think of trail blazers in the track and f ...

Friday will be the Breast Cancer Awareness Pink Game, while Saturday is Bark in the Park. ...