Community, Edge, Theater

Ring Theater to host “The School for Lies” as first student production of spring semester

In the mood for sex, drama and humor? The University of Miami’s Jerry Herman Ring Theatre is putting all of that into one 90-minute package, a new play called “The School For Lies.” It opens Thursday, Feb. 21.

Mixing rhymed verse and comedy, contemporary playwright David Ives brings 17th century French to the doorstep of the 21st century in his adaption of Molière’s “Le Misanthrope” (“The Misanthrope, or Cantankerous Lover.”) The romantic comedy revolves around French society, presenting a fun mix of political and social commentary, scandalous behavior and ridiculous scenarios.

“It’s a show about the lies we tell, and how they corrupt us and others around us,” said Noah Skurtu, a sophomore musical theater major who plays the role of Philinte, a hopeless suitor desperately vying for the attention the wide-eyed Eliante.

“It’s about the fools that fill every level of society,” Skurtu added.

Devin Cherry is another member of the nine-student cast. He’s a senior BFA musical theater major who plays the role of Celimene, a bold woman who effortlessly fires insults at any and every victim who crosses her path, no matter how innocent.

Cherry and the other actresses spend the entire 90 minutes rocking tight corsets with floor-length skirts. “It takes place in 1666, so we are dressed in the Restoration era,” Cherry said.

“The School for Lies” runs through March 2 at The Ring, which is celebrating its 80th season. For those who can’t make it, the theater’s final production of the semester, “The Wild Party,” runs April 18-27.

IF YOU GO:

What: “The School of Lies,” a play by David Ives

When: Opens at Feb. 21 at 8 p.m. and runs through March 2. Matinee showtimes take place Feb. 23, 24, and March 2 at 2 p.m.

Where: Jerry Herman Ring Theatre

1312 Miller Drive

Prices: Tickets are $12 for students, $24 for faculty and alumni, and $27 for the general public. The cast is also putting on a free performance for students at 8 p.m. on Feb. 26. Tickets can be purchased online at https://web.ovationtix.com/trs/cal/1871.

Box office hours are 12- 5 p.m. Wednesday through Friday. For more information, call 305-284-3355.

Abigail Washer

The Miami Hurricanes’ 2020 recruiting class continues to grow. Three-star Deerfield Beach wide recei ...

Chaminade-Madonna in Hollywood has produced some distinguished alums, including ESPN (and Miami Hera ...

Columbus was a popular destination for coaches throughout the first full week of May this spring. On ...

With Mark Walton (cut by Cincinnati) and Kendrick Norton (released by Carolina), the Dolphins have n ...

Perhaps no one but Kellen Winslow II knows for sure when his deep dive began from beloved University ...

Former University of Miami student Elio M. Garcia, Jr. and his wife Linda Antonsson discuss their jo ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are using big data to identify affordable housing opportuniti ...

From office furniture to electronics to kitchen items, the University of Miami sells surplus propert ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are studying zebrafish to understand human genetics and ident ...

Behavioral scientists establish a new mental health research center at the University of Miami to ha ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team edged No. 77 Paola Diaz-Delg ...

Redshirt junior Brian Van Belle will take the mound in Miami's ACC Baseball Championship opener ...

The Bowling Green, Ky., native joins the Hurricanes after spending two seasons at Liberty. ...

The quest for a spot at the 2019 NCAA Outdoor Championships begins Thursday for Miami's track a ...

Talking Track is a series that features current members of the Miami track and field program, while ...