Community, Edge, Theater

Ring Theater to host “The School for Lies” as first student production of spring semester

In the mood for sex, drama and humor? The University of Miami’s Jerry Herman Ring Theatre is putting all of that into one 90-minute package, a new play called “The School For Lies.” It opens Thursday, Feb. 21.

Mixing rhymed verse and comedy, contemporary playwright David Ives brings 17th century French to the doorstep of the 21st century in his adaption of Molière’s “Le Misanthrope” (“The Misanthrope, or Cantankerous Lover.”) The romantic comedy revolves around French society, presenting a fun mix of political and social commentary, scandalous behavior and ridiculous scenarios.

“It’s a show about the lies we tell, and how they corrupt us and others around us,” said Noah Skurtu, a sophomore musical theater major who plays the role of Philinte, a hopeless suitor desperately vying for the attention the wide-eyed Eliante.

“It’s about the fools that fill every level of society,” Skurtu added.

Devin Cherry is another member of the nine-student cast. He’s a senior BFA musical theater major who plays the role of Celimene, a bold woman who effortlessly fires insults at any and every victim who crosses her path, no matter how innocent.

Cherry and the other actresses spend the entire 90 minutes rocking tight corsets with floor-length skirts. “It takes place in 1666, so we are dressed in the Restoration era,” Cherry said.

“The School for Lies” runs through March 2 at The Ring, which is celebrating its 80th season. For those who can’t make it, the theater’s final production of the semester, “The Wild Party,” runs April 18-27.

IF YOU GO:

What: “The School of Lies,” a play by David Ives

When: Opens at Feb. 21 at 8 p.m. and runs through March 2. Matinee showtimes take place Feb. 23, 24, and March 2 at 2 p.m.

Where: Jerry Herman Ring Theatre

1312 Miller Drive

Prices: Tickets are $12 for students, $24 for faculty and alumni, and $27 for the general public. The cast is also putting on a free performance for students at 8 p.m. on Feb. 26. Tickets can be purchased online at https://web.ovationtix.com/trs/cal/1871.

Box office hours are 12- 5 p.m. Wednesday through Friday. For more information, call 305-284-3355.

Abigail Washer

TCU coach Gary Patterson doesn’t like the way college football is trending when it comes to transfer ...

Oklahoma has its Oklahoma Drills. But the fired-up U has its own version of major college football p ...

Day Three of University of Miami football practice media viewing Friday inside the Carol Soffer Indo ...

Three-point defense isn’t enough of a weakness for the Miami Hurricanes to call it a full-fledged Ac ...

Shaquille Quarterman waited less than 24 hours after Michael Pinckney announced he was returning for ...

The University of Miami community gathered to remember the victims of the deadly New Zealand mosque ...

Culminating "an awesome, institution-wide effort," the Miller School of Medicine is celebr ...

Activist Claudio Rojas was featured in a documentary film, “The Infiltrators,” which is critical of ...

Associate professors William Pestle and Kathleen Sullivan Sealey traveled with students over spring ...

Muslim Students of the University of Miami will hold a prayer service at 12:45 p.m. Friday at the La ...

The fourth-seeded Miami women's basketball team opens NCAA Tournament play on its home court fo ...

University of Miami redshirt sophomore Alicia Blagg saved her best for last at the 2019 NCAA Swimmin ...

In a battle between two of the ACC's best pitchers, No. 5 NC State mustered a fifth-inning rall ...

The Hurricanes top Duke, 4-3, to improve to 6-0 in conference action. ...

The Miami track and field team concluded day one of the Power 5 Trailblazer Challenge competing in t ...