Campus Life, Cover, Housing, News

Pesky pests: Students spot cockroaches in the freshman dorms

IMG_8408-3.jpg

In an effort to kill cockroaches, many students set up bug traps or poisons. Photo credit: Rebecca Goddard

An ongoing cockroach problem in the freshman dorms has students calling for action from the department of Housing and Residential Life .

In addition to dealing with the typical stresses of a first year college student, several students have reported that their freshman year has also been marked by traumatic and disturbing roach incidents.

The cockroaches are typically spotted hiding out in the communal bathrooms in the stalls, showers and by the trashcan.

Stanford resident Nicole Rodriguez said that she has to endure “a colony of cockroaches living in the floor bathroom.” The situation has gotten so severe, she said, that she is worried for her own health and well-being.

“The roaches here are so bad,” Rodriguez said. “Facilities needs to get on it.”

Many freshman have reported that the problem has escalated to such an extent that it impacts their daily life.

Stanford resident Margot Mather said she now checks every single bathroom, stall, shower and sink for any lingering cockroaches.

Sophomore Grace Bolandian, previously a Hecht resident, said she recalls giving up on using her floor bathroom entirely.

“We had cockroaches for about a week and I wouldn’t shower on my floor. They were all over the bathroom and sometimes got into bedrooms.”

Students are expected to contact facilities whenever they encounter a health or sanitary issue. Facilities manages pest control and works alongside UM’s custodial and environmental services partner, ABM.

According to the facilities department, their employees work to identify pest entry points and address conditions in the dorm that are likely to harbor bugs. Representatives from the department work to limit moisture, keep a standard of cleanliness and conduct inspections throughout the year.

The Facilities and Operations Department said that once they receive a pest complaint, they take action “immediately and aggressively.”

However, many students contest the responsiveness and success of the facilities department’s efforts.

“It has often taken three people on the floor to call HRL or facilities to get anybody to fumigate the bathroom,” said freshman Rachel Lange. She said the problem still isn’t getting any better.

An RA from Stanford, who requested to remain anonymous, said that while HRL is helpful in working to solve the problem, pests are still present in many of the dorms.

She said she has seen interesting attempts from residents to take matters into their own hands.

“There are times when you see like eight residents crowded around a single cockroach trying to kill it with body spray and bug spray and lysol. It’s a whole mess.”

In regards to the issue, Facilities and Operations said they “can’t do it alone;” everyone needs to take part in working proactively to solve the pest problem.

The Department of Facilities and Operations suggests that students maintain a strict standard of cleanliness, empty out their trash bins regularly and refrain from leaving out food or cleaning supplies that might attract pests.

Until the issue is further resolved, Mather said bugs will simply be “an unfortunate fact of living in the freshman towers.”

Naomi Feinstein also contributed to this reporting.

Anna Timmons

Natalia Rovira

Seniors Emily Gossett, Millie Chokshi, and Jason Kaplan are eager to implement their platform throug ...

Follow the sights and sounds of the pregame festivities in Orlando leading up to Saturday’s big game ...

A team of researchers created the first mapping model of its kind to track how hate spreads and adap ...

University of Miami professors who study water treatment and civil engineering say that water contam ...

University of Miami experts in health geography, law, and public health weigh in on some of the issu ...

The Hurricanes take center stage Saturday as the nation begins celebrating college football's 1 ...

Head coach Manny Diaz and The New Miami will make their debut against an old rival, facing No. 8 Flo ...

Freshman midfielder Ine Østmo joined the Hurricanes in January as an early enrolee from Mandal, Norw ...

Senior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Michael Pinckney and Zach McCloud have already made history ...

UM women's soccer opened its 2019 campaign by blowing past UTRGV, 4-0. ...