Art, Community, Culture, Q & A + Profiles

Student spotlight: Mariel Lindsey

_DSC8064.jpg

Photo credit: Hunter Crenian

Mariel Lindsey has been interested in art since she was 7 years old. Now, she’s using her passion to inspire her work as a second-year architecture student.

“As a kid, I would see cartoons and vibrant pictures and want to replicate them,” Lindsey said.

She combined her two interests in geometry and art to foster the interest she now has for architecture.

Most of Lindsey’s work is abstract and portraiture, but she said she doesn’t restrict herself stylistically.

“I don’t like to limit myself and say I’ll only do this. Whatever art I feel, that’s what I do,” Lindsey said.

Lindsey also enjoys hand-drawn pieces, which include pencil drawings, charcoal and any medium that is not paint.

She sold her first piece during her sophomore year of high school. It was a still-life for her art class that was featured in her school’s end-of-year art show. The piece, titled “Wine and Cheese,” caught the eye of one of the judges who ended up purchasing it.

“It’s rewarding,” Lindsey said. “It’s great to feel appreciated and know people like your work. It gets your name out there.”

Lindsey has a website for people to buy both originals and prints. She is working on T-shirt designs with a friend, commission pieces and an online gallery which she believes will be instrumental in growing her brand.

_DSC8000.jpg

Photo credit: Hunter Crenian

Lindsey said the price of each piece depends on the time spent on the project, the materials used and what the piece means to her.

“It’s hard to put a price tag on something I’ve poured my everything into,” Lindsey said.

However, certain pieces contain too much sentimental value to sell.

“It was my first piece that won a big award. It really pushed me to pursue my art. I don’t think I could ever sell that piece,” Lindsey said, describing a self-portrait that she created during her junior year of high school.

Lindsey’s said her parents are in complete support of her dreams. They tell their coworkers and friends about her art to help build her brand via word-of-mouth. Her father is her biggest advocate, Lindsey said.

“He’s always pushing me to do more, to charge more. He’s always helping me.”

After graduation, Lindsey said she plans on getting her master’s degree in architecture.

“I’ll always continue my art. I don’t think I’ll ever want to stop.”

Lindsey’s art can be found on Instagram @Mar_lindsee or purchased on www.mariellindsey.com.

Osarume Ikhinmwin

Instead of in-person celebrations at Hard Rock Stadium, President Julio Frenk announced that the University of Miami will hold its four observances online because of updated COVID-19 data. ...

The newly chartered Peruvian Students Association seeks to expand its impact and influence beyond campus, supporting protests against education cutbacks in the South American country and connecting students across the United States to their Andean roots. ...

Leyna Stemle found that by attaching green LED lights to fishing nets in Ghana, the illumination was able to divert most of the reptiles from becoming entangled and hurt. ...

As the world observes the 32nd annual World AIDS Day, a University of Miami team is shining a bright light on a neighborhood initiative to curtail the epidemic. ...

With the acquisition of the new instrument and an accompanying nanoindenter, studies at the College of Engineering are entering a new and advanced era of materials characterization. ...