Art, Community, Edge, Q & A + Profiles

Student spotlight: Mariel Lindsey

_DSC8064.jpg

Photo credit: Hunter Crenian

Mariel Lindsey has been interested in art since she was 7 years old. Now, she’s using her passion to inspire her work as a second-year architecture student.

“As a kid, I would see cartoons and vibrant pictures and want to replicate them,” Lindsey said.

She combined her two interests in geometry and art to foster the interest she now has for architecture.

Most of Lindsey’s work is abstract and portraiture, but she said she doesn’t restrict herself stylistically.

“I don’t like to limit myself and say I’ll only do this. Whatever art I feel, that’s what I do,” Lindsey said.

Lindsey also enjoys hand-drawn pieces, which include pencil drawings, charcoal and any medium that is not paint.

She sold her first piece during her sophomore year of high school. It was a still-life for her art class that was featured in her school’s end-of-year art show. The piece, titled “Wine and Cheese,” caught the eye of one of the judges who ended up purchasing it.

“It’s rewarding,” Lindsey said. “It’s great to feel appreciated and know people like your work. It gets your name out there.”

Lindsey has a website for people to buy both originals and prints. She is working on T-shirt designs with a friend, commission pieces and an online gallery which she believes will be instrumental in growing her brand.

_DSC8000.jpg

Photo credit: Hunter Crenian

Lindsey said the price of each piece depends on the time spent on the project, the materials used and what the piece means to her.

“It’s hard to put a price tag on something I’ve poured my everything into,” Lindsey said.

However, certain pieces contain too much sentimental value to sell.

“It was my first piece that won a big award. It really pushed me to pursue my art. I don’t think I could ever sell that piece,” Lindsey said, describing a self-portrait that she created during her junior year of high school.

Lindsey’s said her parents are in complete support of her dreams. They tell their coworkers and friends about her art to help build her brand via word-of-mouth. Her father is her biggest advocate, Lindsey said.

“He’s always pushing me to do more, to charge more. He’s always helping me.”

After graduation, Lindsey said she plans on getting her master’s degree in architecture.

“I’ll always continue my art. I don’t think I’ll ever want to stop.”

Lindsey’s art can be found on Instagram @Mar_lindsee or purchased on www.mariellindsey.com.

Osarume Ikhinmwin

The University of Miami spring game will not be televised or streamed live on the Internet at noon S ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Who were UM’s standouts this spring, heading into Sa ...

As the Miami Hurricanes have spent the spring trying to find answers to question after question on o ...

Navaughn Donaldson knew one thing mattered above all when he was forced to start playing center ahea ...

This spring hasn’t been easy for Miami redshirt sophomore Tate Martell, the former Ohio State quarte ...

There are numerous ways to connect with the University of Miami during the two-day tech conference o ...

A symbol of both French heritage and Catholicism, Paris’ 850-year-old gothic cathedral was gutted by ...

The Division of Student Affairs hosted a reception to present campus-wide awards and scholarships to ...

The University of Miami celebrates Earth Day with a host of activities at or near the Lakeside Patio ...

The nation’s oldest and most-widely known academic honor society inducted 45 students from the Colle ...

Miami Athletics has become one of the leaders nationally in developing its sports psychology departm ...

No. 42 Adria Soriano Barrera collects top-25 victory against No. 21 Alexis Galarneau ...

Check out the UM Department of Athletics' e-magazine for April. ...

The Canes made a late charge, but fell short at No. 8 Louisville 7-5 ...

The fifth-seeded Miami women's tennis team advanced to play fourth-seeded NC State Friday at 3 ...