Art, Community, Edge, Q & A + Profiles

Student spotlight: Mariel Lindsey

_DSC8064.jpg

Photo credit: Hunter Crenian

Mariel Lindsey has been interested in art since she was 7 years old. Now, she’s using her passion to inspire her work as a second-year architecture student.

“As a kid, I would see cartoons and vibrant pictures and want to replicate them,” Lindsey said.

She combined her two interests in geometry and art to foster the interest she now has for architecture.

Most of Lindsey’s work is abstract and portraiture, but she said she doesn’t restrict herself stylistically.

“I don’t like to limit myself and say I’ll only do this. Whatever art I feel, that’s what I do,” Lindsey said.

Lindsey also enjoys hand-drawn pieces, which include pencil drawings, charcoal and any medium that is not paint.

She sold her first piece during her sophomore year of high school. It was a still-life for her art class that was featured in her school’s end-of-year art show. The piece, titled “Wine and Cheese,” caught the eye of one of the judges who ended up purchasing it.

“It’s rewarding,” Lindsey said. “It’s great to feel appreciated and know people like your work. It gets your name out there.”

Lindsey has a website for people to buy both originals and prints. She is working on T-shirt designs with a friend, commission pieces and an online gallery which she believes will be instrumental in growing her brand.

_DSC8000.jpg

Photo credit: Hunter Crenian

Lindsey said the price of each piece depends on the time spent on the project, the materials used and what the piece means to her.

“It’s hard to put a price tag on something I’ve poured my everything into,” Lindsey said.

However, certain pieces contain too much sentimental value to sell.

“It was my first piece that won a big award. It really pushed me to pursue my art. I don’t think I could ever sell that piece,” Lindsey said, describing a self-portrait that she created during her junior year of high school.

Lindsey’s said her parents are in complete support of her dreams. They tell their coworkers and friends about her art to help build her brand via word-of-mouth. Her father is her biggest advocate, Lindsey said.

“He’s always pushing me to do more, to charge more. He’s always helping me.”

After graduation, Lindsey said she plans on getting her master’s degree in architecture.

“I’ll always continue my art. I don’t think I’ll ever want to stop.”

Lindsey’s art can be found on Instagram @Mar_lindsee or purchased on www.mariellindsey.com.

Osarume Ikhinmwin

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

Mark Walton, the former University of Miami star football player and current Cincinnati Bengal, was ...

Don Chaney Jr. says his recruitment is over and the way he talks about the Miami Hurricanes, it’s ea ...

Miami Law’s Frances Hill answers key questions about the National Emergencies Act. ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Hours after garnering espnW National Player of the Week distinction, Emese Hof of the Miami women ...

For the second straight Monday, a member of the Miami women's basketball team has earned a nati ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team moved up two spots on Monday's leaderboard at t ...