Art, Community, Edge, Q & A + Profiles

Student spotlight: Mariel Lindsey

_DSC8064.jpg

Photo credit: Hunter Crenian

Mariel Lindsey has been interested in art since she was 7 years old. Now, she’s using her passion to inspire her work as a second-year architecture student.

“As a kid, I would see cartoons and vibrant pictures and want to replicate them,” Lindsey said.

She combined her two interests in geometry and art to foster the interest she now has for architecture.

Most of Lindsey’s work is abstract and portraiture, but she said she doesn’t restrict herself stylistically.

“I don’t like to limit myself and say I’ll only do this. Whatever art I feel, that’s what I do,” Lindsey said.

Lindsey also enjoys hand-drawn pieces, which include pencil drawings, charcoal and any medium that is not paint.

She sold her first piece during her sophomore year of high school. It was a still-life for her art class that was featured in her school’s end-of-year art show. The piece, titled “Wine and Cheese,” caught the eye of one of the judges who ended up purchasing it.

“It’s rewarding,” Lindsey said. “It’s great to feel appreciated and know people like your work. It gets your name out there.”

Lindsey has a website for people to buy both originals and prints. She is working on T-shirt designs with a friend, commission pieces and an online gallery which she believes will be instrumental in growing her brand.

_DSC8000.jpg

Photo credit: Hunter Crenian

Lindsey said the price of each piece depends on the time spent on the project, the materials used and what the piece means to her.

“It’s hard to put a price tag on something I’ve poured my everything into,” Lindsey said.

However, certain pieces contain too much sentimental value to sell.

“It was my first piece that won a big award. It really pushed me to pursue my art. I don’t think I could ever sell that piece,” Lindsey said, describing a self-portrait that she created during her junior year of high school.

Lindsey’s said her parents are in complete support of her dreams. They tell their coworkers and friends about her art to help build her brand via word-of-mouth. Her father is her biggest advocate, Lindsey said.

“He’s always pushing me to do more, to charge more. He’s always helping me.”

After graduation, Lindsey said she plans on getting her master’s degree in architecture.

“I’ll always continue my art. I don’t think I’ll ever want to stop.”

Lindsey’s art can be found on Instagram @Mar_lindsee or purchased on www.mariellindsey.com.

Osarume Ikhinmwin

New and returning students share some of their expectations for the semester on the first day of cla ...

Nearly 100 University of Miami students participated in Orientation Outreach to assist the staff at ...

Take a look back on new student orientation and browse through a gallery of photos from various even ...

Father, mother, and daughter will all be students at the University of Miami this fall semester. ...

UM weather expert and senior research associate Brian McNoldy explains the science behind lightning ...

Jeff Thomas is eager to get back on the field for the Hurricanes. ...

Miami's defensive tackles have traditionally been some of the Hurricanes' best players, wh ...

On the final night of its trip abroad, the Miami men's basketball team defeated LCC Internation ...

Sophomores Brevin Jordan and Will Mallory look to follow in the footsteps of the greats before them ...

Jarren Williams stepped into the spotlight for the first time Tuesday as Miami's starting quart ...