Community, Edge

Dorm decor for every style: Must-know decorating tips for every college student

I know what you’re thinking. “Don’t you think it’s a little late to be giving decorating advice since we’ve all already settled in for the new semester?”

Well no, I don’t think it is. On-campus housing applications for next year have already opened. Next, we will all be picking our prospective living arrangements, and before you know it, we’ll be meeting our new roommates on move-in day. Since your dorm or apartment is where you will spend the majority of your time, it’s important for it to be completely perfect and suited for your needs.

That’s what I’m here for. I have created five room layouts, each representing a different kind of living space. I do not claim to be an interior designer, but I can assure you that this list includes something for everyone. Maybe you don’t like the entire design, but the basic principles could be the first step in transforming a dull, white room into a place that you are proud to call home.

The Man Cave

1.png

Collage made with Canva Photo credit: Jordan Lewis

Every man cave needs two things: an entertainment system like no other and lots of snacks. So, a TV, video game console, sound system and mini fridge are absolute necessities. Adding some repurposed liquor bottles like this Jack-Daniels-turned-hand-sanitizer adds a nice pop of personality, and the framed posters from your favorite sports teams can turn an ordinary dorm into the masculine hideout of your dreams.

An Organized Haven

2.png

Sometimes, there’s nothing more satisfying than ending a stressful day in a clean, fresh room where everything is in its place. If that sounds like paradise, consider getting ample storage space and a wall calendar to help keep track of the semester’s big events. A collapsible hamper can help you keep tidy, too, since it can be tucked away when you’re not using it.

A Creative Hideaway

3.png

You’ve been stuck in a creative rut. Maybe it’s time for a change of scenery. Not only are plants pretty to look at, but they also increase the air quality around you, stimulating your thought processes and increasing positive energy. Sure, blue and green are nice colors aesthetically, but did you also know that they are also proven to foster creativity? Adding art that stirs your emotions, memorabilia from your favorite films and your favorite music (on vinyl, of course, because everything sounds better on vinyl) are the perfect finishing touches to turn your drab dorm or apartment into the creative space you’ve been craving.

A Serene Sanctuary

We often think of gigantic windows and zen gardens as the only ways to make a home truly relaxing. Unfortunately, that just isn’t a reality for most of us. Luckily, there are some tried-and-true ways to turn any space into a stress-free sanctuary.

4.png

Filling your space with plants brings positive energy and motivation. Cool, neutral colors spark innovation, while a cluster of brightly-colored items creates a fun area that will bring you joy every time you walk by. While comfortable on your feet, a nice rug–when made from the right material– can serve the additional purpose of stopping sounds from echoing. Lastly, bright rooms can make you feel more alive, and while natural light is ideal, there are other ways to get the desired effect. Stocking up on lamps and as many mirrors are you’re comfortable with is a great trick to bring light to a room with limited windows.

The Girl’s night hangout

5.png

Much like a man cave, the ultimate girl’s-night-in destination must have two things: comfort and lots of snacks. If you suspect you’ll frequently have guests, be sure to always have extra blankets and pillows on hand. Decorating your walls with fun and inspirational posters will make you and your gal pals feel like complete bad asses, and keeping emergency games nearby– including my personal favorite, What do you Meme– will make sure there’s never a dull moment.

Jordan Lewis

The University of Miami spring game will not be televised or streamed live on the Internet at noon S ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Who were UM’s standouts this spring, heading into Sa ...

As the Miami Hurricanes have spent the spring trying to find answers to question after question on o ...

Navaughn Donaldson knew one thing mattered above all when he was forced to start playing center ahea ...

This spring hasn’t been easy for Miami redshirt sophomore Tate Martell, the former Ohio State quarte ...

There are numerous ways to connect with the University of Miami during the two-day tech conference o ...

A symbol of both French heritage and Catholicism, Paris’ 850-year-old gothic cathedral was gutted by ...

The Division of Student Affairs hosted a reception to present campus-wide awards and scholarships to ...

The University of Miami celebrates Earth Day with a host of activities at or near the Lakeside Patio ...

The nation’s oldest and most-widely known academic honor society inducted 45 students from the Colle ...

Miami Athletics has become one of the leaders nationally in developing its sports psychology departm ...

No. 42 Adria Soriano Barrera collects top-25 victory against No. 21 Alexis Galarneau ...

Check out the UM Department of Athletics' e-magazine for April. ...

The Canes made a late charge, but fell short at No. 8 Louisville 7-5 ...

The fifth-seeded Miami women's tennis team advanced to play fourth-seeded NC State Friday at 3 ...