Campus Life, Community, News

Commuter students reflect on their campus experience

While commuters may not be footsteps away from their classes like those that choose to live in the residential colleges, many argue that there are a lot of overlooked perks that come with living off campus.

For commuters with cars, they cite the ability to explore the city at their leisure as an added benefit to living off campus. Kira Quintana, a freshman at UM, said she believes “the mobility and freedom a car gives you is truly a blessing, especially when you are in such a vibrant and lively city like Miami.”

Kevin Fernandez, a junior that commutes to campus from Miami Lakes, says that he has always found UM to be “very accommodating towards commuter students.”

Commuter students involved in the Association of Commuter Students (ACS) at UM have access to their own lounge and lockers to store their things on the second floor of the Student Shalala Center.

Another perk to commuting, Fernandez said, is the ability to save money and go home for a nice home-cooked meal.

Isabella Aires, a junior commuter student, offered insight into the negative aspects of living off campus.

“Sometimes extracurriculars forget that we are commuters and don’t always have the luxury of living on campus, where meetings are,” Aires said. “This is even worse when meetings are during weekends or late night hours because you either have to stay on campus really late or drive long distances in traffic.”

She stressed the fact that commuters are “sometimes forgotten” by student organizations. To her, they often assume that everyone lives on campus or has easy access to the UM grounds when that is not necessarily the case.

But Marcos Serur, a commuter and senior at UM, says that he has had a very positive experience as a commuter and that he does not find it hard for to remain involved in UM activities, such as the quidditch team.

“I have my own car. I’m able to move around quickly and change parking spots around campus. I can go to any meetings, helping me stay more involved.”

Amir Mahmoud

Three-point defense isn’t enough of a weakness for the Miami Hurricanes to call it a full-fledged Ac ...

Shaquille Quarterman waited less than 24 hours after Michael Pinckney announced he was returning for ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Two highly skilled receivers who ended last season frust ...

Whenever quarterback Tate Martell hurls a football to University of Miami slot receiver Mike Harley, ...

Manny Diaz is the dealer. The pusher. He is good at this. Really good. And what he is selling, we ar ...

The Liaison Committee on Medical Education approved plans developed by the Miller School of Medicine ...

Activist Claudio Rojas was featured in a documentary film, “The Infiltrators,” which is critical of ...

Associate professors William Pestle and Kathleen Sullivan Sealey traveled with students over spring ...

Muslim Students of the University of Miami will hold a prayer service at 12:45 p.m. Friday at the La ...

The theme of the 48th annual Women’s Commission Breakfast keynote address, delivered by Dean Laura K ...

The fourth-seeded Miami women's basketball team opens NCAA Tournament play on its home court fo ...

Make no mistake about it – the college paths of this dynamic Miami offensive duo are as stark in con ...

University of Miami redshirt sophomore Alicia Blagg captured the first NCAA postseason recognition o ...

It is hard not to think of Miami's Amy Deem when you think of trail blazers in the track and f ...

Friday will be the Breast Cancer Awareness Pink Game, while Saturday is Bark in the Park. ...