Campus Life, News

Save Lifes by Dancing at CanesTHON

canesthonFLYER70-01.png

Join the fight to help combat childhood illnesses through the art of dance. The CanesTHON University of Miami Dance Marathon will be held from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. Friday, Feb. 1 at the Shalala Ballroom.

CanesTHON is a fundraiser where the UM community can dance the night away to raise money for the Children’s Miracle Network Hospital, a non-profit organization that helps connect children with illnesses to the life-saving medical care that they need. The Dance Marathon is also a nationwide event that began at Indiana University in 1991.

For this year’s CanesTHON fundraising event, Shirley Gelman, a sophomore majoring in business, serves as president and Micah Council, a sophomore majoring in sociology, mathematical statistics and probability is the vice president.

Planning the event was important to Gelman because she felt that everyone should do their part to give back to their community and help others who need it most.

“I think it is very important to give back to Children’s Miracle Network Hospital especially since our local CMN Hospital is less than three miles from campus. We have a direct and powerful impact on our local community,” Gelman said.

“Everything we do is to raise money for the kids,” Gelman said. “I chose to run this event this year because I participated in dance marathon in high school and one of my close friends was treated at a Children’s Miracle Network Hospital, this event means a lot to me.”

CanesTHON will also provide free t-shirts and food, games, inflatables, dancing, and more. To attend, the UM community can register at the event and make a $5 payment.

Esther Animalu

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

Mark Walton, the former University of Miami star football player and current Cincinnati Bengal, was ...

Don Chaney Jr. says his recruitment is over and the way he talks about the Miami Hurricanes, it’s ea ...

Miami Law’s Frances Hill answers key questions about the National Emergencies Act. ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Hours after garnering espnW National Player of the Week distinction, Emese Hof of the Miami women ...

For the second straight Monday, a member of the Miami women's basketball team has earned a nati ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team moved up two spots on Monday's leaderboard at t ...