Campus Life, News

Save Lifes by Dancing at CanesTHON

canesthonFLYER70-01.png

Join the fight to help combat childhood illnesses through the art of dance. The CanesTHON University of Miami Dance Marathon will be held from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. Friday, Feb. 1 at the Shalala Ballroom.

CanesTHON is a fundraiser where the UM community can dance the night away to raise money for the Children’s Miracle Network Hospital, a non-profit organization that helps connect children with illnesses to the life-saving medical care that they need. The Dance Marathon is also a nationwide event that began at Indiana University in 1991.

For this year’s CanesTHON fundraising event, Shirley Gelman, a sophomore majoring in business, serves as president and Micah Council, a sophomore majoring in sociology, mathematical statistics and probability is the vice president.

Planning the event was important to Gelman because she felt that everyone should do their part to give back to their community and help others who need it most.

“I think it is very important to give back to Children’s Miracle Network Hospital especially since our local CMN Hospital is less than three miles from campus. We have a direct and powerful impact on our local community,” Gelman said.

“Everything we do is to raise money for the kids,” Gelman said. “I chose to run this event this year because I participated in dance marathon in high school and one of my close friends was treated at a Children’s Miracle Network Hospital, this event means a lot to me.”

CanesTHON will also provide free t-shirts and food, games, inflatables, dancing, and more. To attend, the UM community can register at the event and make a $5 payment.

Esther Animalu

Father, mother, and daughter will all be students at the University of Miami this fall semester. ...

UM weather expert and senior research associate Brian McNoldy explains the science behind lightning ...

As students make their way back to campus for the new school year, here’s a refresher on some of the ...

President Julio Frenk and student leaders formally welcome first-year and transfer students to campu ...

Marc Gellman, a University of Miami research associate professor, recounts his experience attending ...

On the final night of its trip abroad, the Miami men's basketball team defeated LCC Internation ...

Miami's defensive tackles have traditionally been some of the Hurricanes' best players, wh ...

Sophomores Brevin Jordan and Will Mallory look to follow in the footsteps of the greats before them ...

Jarren Williams stepped into the spotlight for the first time Tuesday as Miami's starting quart ...

Former Miami soccer player Dalanda Ouendeno is attempting to become the first foreign female pit cre ...