Campus Life, Cover, News, Photo

A weekend at the U

Canes Night Live Spring Kickoff

Hurricane Production’s night time programming is back, kicking off the semester Friday, Jan. 25 with a slew of events ranging from glass etching to an escape room.

P1100293.JPG

A student lays out the design for a personalized etched glass.

P1100294.JPG

After designing their glasses, students had to wait 5 to 10 minutes for the etching material to dry.

P1100259.JPG

A local artist was at the event to airbrush customized t-shirts for students.

P1100270.JPG

Music from the DJ booth filled the Shalala Student Center, with songs ranging from classics such as Abba's "Dancing Queen" to modern anthems such as Ariana Grande's "Thank You, Next."

P1100353.JPG

Students could also take home a customized engraved ring.

P1100336_1.JPG

Students put their heads together to solve puzzles in the Harry-Potter-themed escape room.

Agustin Granda.JPG

UM student Agustin Granda called the escape room "a magical experience."

Natalie Mastalerz (front) and Lea Perez (back).JPG

Natalia Mastalerz (front) and Lea Perez (back) exit the escape room while discussing Hermione, a popular Harry Potter character. "I always knew I was the Hermione of my friends," Mastalerz said.

Fraternity Bid Day

A long-standing tradition, bid day is a celebration of fraternities’ newest members. It took place Jan. 25, at the end of rush week.

P1100234.JPG

Students gathered on the Lake-Side Patio as fraternity brothers announced pledges' names over a microphone.

P1100246.JPG

The crowd often erupted in cheers as member of each social fraternity made their way onto the stage.

P1100244.JPG

Noise from the festivities could be heard far beyond the patio as the fraternities celebrated their new members.

All photos by Cameron Tavakoly.

Rebecca Goddard

Talula Thibault, a senior at the University of Miami and chair of the ECO Agency, will participate i ...

Overturning a widely accepted fact, University of Miami researchers discover that fruit flies hate b ...

The Miami Business School this fall launched a unique and forward-thinking Master of Science in Sust ...

The United States can handle its growing debt a lot better than other countries, such as Argentina, ...

A University of Miami materials engineer is developing a method that will help the aviation industry ...

Miami evened its record with a win over Central Michigan. Now, a quarter of the way through the seas ...

The Hurricanes forced three turnovers and held off a hard-fought effort from Central Michigan, defea ...

Daevenia Achong of the Miami women's tennis team won a pair of matches Sunday to reach the Milw ...

The Hurricanes hung on for a 17-12 win over Central Michigan, but acknowledged there are things they ...

The Miami women's tennis team wrapped up action Sunday at the Miami Fall Invite, posting a 3-1 ...