Campus Life, Cover, News, Photo

A weekend at the U

Canes Night Live Spring Kickoff

Hurricane Production’s night time programming is back, kicking off the semester Friday, Jan. 25 with a slew of events ranging from glass etching to an escape room.

P1100293.JPG

A student lays out the design for a personalized etched glass.

P1100294.JPG

After designing their glasses, students had to wait 5 to 10 minutes for the etching material to dry.

P1100259.JPG

A local artist was at the event to airbrush customized t-shirts for students.

P1100270.JPG

Music from the DJ booth filled the Shalala Student Center, with songs ranging from classics such as Abba's "Dancing Queen" to modern anthems such as Ariana Grande's "Thank You, Next."

P1100353.JPG

Students could also take home a customized engraved ring.

P1100336_1.JPG

Students put their heads together to solve puzzles in the Harry-Potter-themed escape room.

Agustin Granda.JPG

UM student Agustin Granda called the escape room "a magical experience."

Natalie Mastalerz (front) and Lea Perez (back).JPG

Natalia Mastalerz (front) and Lea Perez (back) exit the escape room while discussing Hermione, a popular Harry Potter character. "I always knew I was the Hermione of my friends," Mastalerz said.

Fraternity Bid Day

A long-standing tradition, bid day is a celebration of fraternities’ newest members. It took place Jan. 25, at the end of rush week.

P1100234.JPG

Students gathered on the Lake-Side Patio as fraternity brothers announced pledges' names over a microphone.

P1100246.JPG

The crowd often erupted in cheers as member of each social fraternity made their way onto the stage.

P1100244.JPG

Noise from the festivities could be heard far beyond the patio as the fraternities celebrated their new members.

All photos by Cameron Tavakoly.

Rebecca Goddard

The University of Miami spring game will not be televised or streamed live on the Internet at noon S ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Who were UM’s standouts this spring, heading into Sa ...

As the Miami Hurricanes have spent the spring trying to find answers to question after question on o ...

Navaughn Donaldson knew one thing mattered above all when he was forced to start playing center ahea ...

This spring hasn’t been easy for Miami redshirt sophomore Tate Martell, the former Ohio State quarte ...

Yvette Soler, B.M. ’96, better known as Tigrilla Gardenia, connects her music engineering background ...

Preservation Week, from April 21 to April 27, is focused on highlighting the importance of learning ...

There are numerous ways to connect with the University of Miami during the two-day tech conference o ...

A symbol of both French heritage and Catholicism, Paris’ 850-year-old gothic cathedral was gutted by ...

The Division of Student Affairs hosted a reception to present campus-wide awards and scholarships to ...

The fifth-seeded and No. 21-ranked Miami women's tennis team knocked off fourth-seeded and nint ...

Miami was leading, 10-3, when umpires suspended play at 7 p.m. on Friday. ...

Miami Athletics has become one of the leaders nationally in developing its sports psychology departm ...

No. 42 Adria Soriano Barrera collects top-25 victory against No. 21 Alexis Galarneau ...

Check out the UM Department of Athletics' e-magazine for April. ...