Campus Life, Cover, News, Photo

A weekend at the U

Canes Night Live Spring Kickoff

Hurricane Production’s night time programming is back, kicking off the semester Friday, Jan. 25 with a slew of events ranging from glass etching to an escape room.

P1100293.JPG

A student lays out the design for a personalized etched glass.

P1100294.JPG

After designing their glasses, students had to wait 5 to 10 minutes for the etching material to dry.

P1100259.JPG

A local artist was at the event to airbrush customized t-shirts for students.

P1100270.JPG

Music from the DJ booth filled the Shalala Student Center, with songs ranging from classics such as Abba's "Dancing Queen" to modern anthems such as Ariana Grande's "Thank You, Next."

P1100353.JPG

Students could also take home a customized engraved ring.

P1100336_1.JPG

Students put their heads together to solve puzzles in the Harry-Potter-themed escape room.

Agustin Granda.JPG

UM student Agustin Granda called the escape room "a magical experience."

Natalie Mastalerz (front) and Lea Perez (back).JPG

Natalia Mastalerz (front) and Lea Perez (back) exit the escape room while discussing Hermione, a popular Harry Potter character. "I always knew I was the Hermione of my friends," Mastalerz said.

Fraternity Bid Day

A long-standing tradition, bid day is a celebration of fraternities’ newest members. It took place Jan. 25, at the end of rush week.

P1100234.JPG

Students gathered on the Lake-Side Patio as fraternity brothers announced pledges' names over a microphone.

P1100246.JPG

The crowd often erupted in cheers as member of each social fraternity made their way onto the stage.

P1100244.JPG

Noise from the festivities could be heard far beyond the patio as the fraternities celebrated their new members.

All photos by Cameron Tavakoly.

Rebecca Goddard

The Florida Law School's Consortium for Racial Justice will leverage the strengths of every law

In a letter on Wednesday, President Julio Frenk unveiled a 15-point plan to improve and build upon d

Two technology experts with the University of Miami explain the origins of “bots” and their role on

During Tuesday’s virtual events, members of the University of Miami leadership discussed the essenti

Groundbreaking scientific research and innovative discoveries from the University of Miami will be f