Campus Life, Cover, News, Photo

A weekend at the U

Canes Night Live Spring Kickoff

Hurricane Production’s night time programming is back, kicking off the semester Friday, Jan. 25 with a slew of events ranging from glass etching to an escape room.

P1100293.JPG

A student lays out the design for a personalized etched glass.

P1100294.JPG

After designing their glasses, students had to wait 5 to 10 minutes for the etching material to dry.

P1100259.JPG

A local artist was at the event to airbrush customized t-shirts for students.

P1100270.JPG

Music from the DJ booth filled the Shalala Student Center, with songs ranging from classics such as Abba's "Dancing Queen" to modern anthems such as Ariana Grande's "Thank You, Next."

P1100353.JPG

Students could also take home a customized engraved ring.

P1100336_1.JPG

Students put their heads together to solve puzzles in the Harry-Potter-themed escape room.

Agustin Granda.JPG

UM student Agustin Granda called the escape room "a magical experience."

Natalie Mastalerz (front) and Lea Perez (back).JPG

Natalia Mastalerz (front) and Lea Perez (back) exit the escape room while discussing Hermione, a popular Harry Potter character. "I always knew I was the Hermione of my friends," Mastalerz said.

Fraternity Bid Day

A long-standing tradition, bid day is a celebration of fraternities’ newest members. It took place Jan. 25, at the end of rush week.

P1100234.JPG

Students gathered on the Lake-Side Patio as fraternity brothers announced pledges' names over a microphone.

P1100246.JPG

The crowd often erupted in cheers as member of each social fraternity made their way onto the stage.

P1100244.JPG

Noise from the festivities could be heard far beyond the patio as the fraternities celebrated their new members.

All photos by Cameron Tavakoly.

Rebecca Goddard

University of Miami atmospheric scientist Elliot Atlas is part of a NASA-funded project studying how ...

Led by the Miller School of Medicine, the southeast region has enrolled more than 14,000 volunteers ...

Two Commencement ceremonies will take place at the Watsco Center on the Coral Gables campus on Thurs ...

The investiture of the School of Law Dean Anthony E. Varona as the M. Minnette Massey Chair took pla ...

The University of Miami Frost School of Music's annual holiday event raises funds for the Donna ...

With an Olympic year on the horizon, former Canes star Lauryn Williams reflects on an incredible car ...

The Miami women's basketball staff just got stronger with the addition of former Hurricane stan ...

The University of Miami football program announced Sunday that it has accepted a bid to the 2019 Wal ...

Spots are filling up fast for the upcoming Gino DiMare Exposure Camp on January 18-19, 2020. ...

Greg Rousseau was one of Miami's breakout players this year and will be honored Friday night in ...