Campus Life, Cover, News, Photo

A weekend at the U

Canes Night Live Spring Kickoff

Hurricane Production’s night time programming is back, kicking off the semester Friday, Jan. 25 with a slew of events ranging from glass etching to an escape room.

P1100293.JPG

A student lays out the design for a personalized etched glass.

P1100294.JPG

After designing their glasses, students had to wait 5 to 10 minutes for the etching material to dry.

P1100259.JPG

A local artist was at the event to airbrush customized t-shirts for students.

P1100270.JPG

Music from the DJ booth filled the Shalala Student Center, with songs ranging from classics such as Abba's "Dancing Queen" to modern anthems such as Ariana Grande's "Thank You, Next."

P1100353.JPG

Students could also take home a customized engraved ring.

P1100336_1.JPG

Students put their heads together to solve puzzles in the Harry-Potter-themed escape room.

Agustin Granda.JPG

UM student Agustin Granda called the escape room "a magical experience."

Natalie Mastalerz (front) and Lea Perez (back).JPG

Natalia Mastalerz (front) and Lea Perez (back) exit the escape room while discussing Hermione, a popular Harry Potter character. "I always knew I was the Hermione of my friends," Mastalerz said.

Fraternity Bid Day

A long-standing tradition, bid day is a celebration of fraternities’ newest members. It took place Jan. 25, at the end of rush week.

P1100234.JPG

Students gathered on the Lake-Side Patio as fraternity brothers announced pledges' names over a microphone.

P1100246.JPG

The crowd often erupted in cheers as member of each social fraternity made their way onto the stage.

P1100244.JPG

Noise from the festivities could be heard far beyond the patio as the fraternities celebrated their new members.

All photos by Cameron Tavakoly.

Rebecca Goddard

A six-pack of notes from UM’s annual Paradise Camp on Saturday: ▪ Few Canes greats have as unique a ...

Paradise Camp continues to pay dividends for the Miami Hurricanes. As the camp wrapped up Saturday, ...

As Manny Diaz puts it, Paradise Camp is the Miami Hurricanes’ bridge between three generations. It s ...

Paradise Camp weekend is off to a strong start for the Miami Hurricanes. Miami kicked off its massiv ...

Finally, at 12:40 a.m. Friday, after sitting out his entire junior season, after endless heartaches ...

In the first course of its kind on a college campus, faculty, staff, and students will learn if they ...

University of Miami Libraries is working to establish a University archive of LGBTQ materials. ...

University of Miami football players and coaches mentored area youth at a free football clinic in Ho ...

Some scientists fear that the new fifth generation of wireless networks interferes with critical sat ...

A new study led by Miller School professor Dr. Claes Wahlestedt observes that key molecular programs ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team earned All-ACC Academic Team distinction, as anno ...

Eight Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the conference with selections to the Track an ...

Franco Aubone and Francisco Bastias of the University of Miami men's tennis team were selected ...

UM forward Dewan Hernandez was selected 59th overall by the Toronto Raptors in the 2019 NBA Draft. ...

Check out the June edition of UM Athletics' e-magazine. ...