Community, Edge

10 ways to make this your most organized semester yet

Everyone knows the hardest part about a vacation is the end. Our brains are stuck in vacation mode and despite classes starting back, and bringing with them all the stresses and struggles that come with being a college student, getting back into the groove of things can be difficult.

So, I have created this list to help all students, especially my fellow hurricanes, stay organized and on top of things this time around.

Here are 10 simple yet effective ways to tackle this spring semester:

1. Buy a Planner

Embed from Getty Images

Using a planner can help you organize all important dates, including due dates for homework and projects. I have been using a planner since before I can remember, and time and time again, it proves to be instrumental in helping me maintain my grades.

2. Use note cards

Turning your notes into flashcards is, of course, one of the most tried-and-true ways to study for any kind of exam. On top of that, rewriting information by hand is proven to help you remember it better, and you’ll have easy access to information instead of having to scan entire documents. There is literally no downside to this trick.

3. Go to the library

Our campus, though absolutely beautiful, can be a difficult place to work. The wildlife, the dogs, the constant activity—they can all be very distracting. Claiming your spot in the stacks is a great way to escape all of that. Sophomore Rachael Kravetz says she gets most of her work done at the library because she can’t focus the same when at home.

4. Get enough sleep

Embed from Getty Images

I know sometimes all-nighters are necessary, but plan ahead to make sure you get in as much sleep as you can. Your brain and body can’t work to their full potential without being well rested.

5. Resist the temptation to skip class

Skipping class can be tempting since there’s no one here who can really make you go. However, missing class can mean missing important information. Also, the more classes you skip, the less lenient professors will be. Think about that next time you plan to skip, and remember than 3 hours a week won’t kill you!

6. Keep track of your syllabi

I know some students may not think keeping your syllabus handy is important, but it really is. Your syllabus contains key dates to keep you organized and answers to many of the questions you’d otherwise have to ask your professor.

7. Keep your backpack organized

Having to sift through an endless pit of unmarked pages at the bottom on your backpack takes time away from the real focus. Buying some 97 cent, two-pocket folders will save you time, stress, and the embarrassment of handing in an old, wrinkly assignment.

Embed from Getty Images

8. Turn off all distractions

I know checking your phone as a college student is almost instinctive. But, when you’re studying or doing work, disconnecting from social media, texts, emails, etc. is the key to staying focused. A few hours without your phone won’t kill you. I promise.

9. Wake up on time

I like to think of it this way: the faster you get up, the faster you can get your work done, and the faster you can lie back down.

Embed from Getty Images

10. Listen to calming music

When asked what helps him succeed, senior Daniel Munera explained that listening to calming music while studying helps him stay focused. I can definitely relate. There’s tons of pre-generated playlists on Spotify, but my personal favorites are “Study Vibes” and “Focus.”

Camila Munera

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

Mark Walton, the former University of Miami star football player and current Cincinnati Bengal, was ...

Don Chaney Jr. says his recruitment is over and the way he talks about the Miami Hurricanes, it’s ea ...

Miami Law’s Frances Hill answers key questions about the National Emergencies Act. ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Hours after garnering espnW National Player of the Week distinction, Emese Hof of the Miami women ...

For the second straight Monday, a member of the Miami women's basketball team has earned a nati ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team moved up two spots on Monday's leaderboard at t ...