Campus Life, News, Student Organization

UMTV to hold its Spring semester general body meeting

UMTV will hold its Spring semester general body meeting at 7 p.m. Jan. 22 in Shoma Hall, Room 3053 of the School of Communication’s International Building. The meeting is open to all UM students and will provide information on auditions and how to be involved with different productions.

The student-run cable TV station consists of weekly newscasts, including a sports show, a late-night comedy program, a black affairs program, an entertainment show and a Spanish-language program.

“UMTV is a great safe space to cultivate your talent to learn how to work and move in this industry,” said Kristion Matas who has been involved with multiple shows.

“I have a little family within an overall amazing group of talented individuals,” said Izabella Felpeto, executive producer for “UniMiami,” the Spanish-language program.

Students can get involved as producers, writers, directors or on-air talent. The shows air in the Coral Gables area and are available online on vimeo.com as well as umtv.com.

Two of UMTV’s weekly shows, “NewsVision” and “SportsDesk,” were recently nominated for the Television Academy awards, which are among the nation’s most prestigious honors for student production. A total of 25 nominees were selected from more than 600 productions submitted by 174 colleges and universities nationwide.

Produced by the same foundation that coordinates the Emmys, the College Television Awards are judged online by active Television Academy members.

Television stars will present top honors to students at the awards ceremony on Saturday, March 16, in Hollywood, California. Each winning project will receive a $3,000 cash prize.

Talia Mereles

Bryan Acevedo

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Canes find themselves in the mix for a couple o ...

It was May 2015, and the Miami Herald was reporting for a feature on high school football players ab ...

Deidrick Stanley had his eye on the Miami Hurricanes long before his hometown school finally offered ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ UM has only two Rivals.com five-star recruits on the ...

Even five months ago, it would’ve been hard to picture Jaylan Knighton winding up with the Miami Hur ...

A former UM professor started a company dedicated to publishing books on African-American culture, h ...

A group of School of Architecture students visited the Caribbean nation to learn about the historic ...

Faculty with the Miller School of Medicine and Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science w ...

Patricia “Trish” White, dean of the School of Law, is stepping down at the end of the academic year. ...

At the annual Hug the Lake, sustainability manager Teddy Lhoutellier was honored for improving the e ...

Michael Amditis tied a career-high with three hits and a homer to help the #24 Canes sweep FIU. ...

Miami earns sixth seed in Cle Elum Regional, hosted by the University of Washington. ...

The Hurricanes will open an eight-game homestand with a midweek matchup against crosstown FIU on Wed ...

Talking Track is a series that features current members of the Miami track and field program, while ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame announced that Trajan Bandy is the 26th recipient of the ...