Community, Edge, Music

Diplo, DJ Diesel Headline Life In Color Miami

EDM fans flocked to Wynwood Saturday, Jan. 19 to attend the 12th edition of Life in Color Miami, held at the Royal Crown Cola Plant.

This year’s headliners included Diplo, What So Not, and DJ Diesel (aka NBA veteran Shaquille O’Neal).

LIC-Miami-Family-Photo.png

Performer DJ Diesel takes a "family photo" with festival attendees and friend Brian Bayati during his Life in Color set. Photo credit: ADINAYEV

“The girls in front of me kept saying they only wanted to see Diplo,” said University of Miami freshman Monica Arango.

They got their wish around 10:45 p.m. Diplo was the last performer of the night, ending the day with hits of his own, such as his hit collaboration with Silk City and Dua Lipa, “Electricity,” and other popular radio hits such as Sheck Wes’ “Mo Bamba.”

The event was sponsored by energy drink company “Bang” and ran from 5 p.m. until midnight, with performers and attendees alike drenching themselves in blue, orange, pink, purple and yellow paint, living up to the advertiser’s promise of “The World’s Largest Paint Party.”

3W0A0778-4.jpg

Life in Color Miami attendees get blasted with paint during What So Not's 9:45 P.M. performance. Photo credit: ADINAYEV

“I love spending time with my friends,” said UM student Jessica Ripes. She explained that though getting to the event with her friends was stressful, it all paid off.

The paint party also featured an array of food trucks from french fries to cultural masterpieces.

3W0A0132-4.jpg

DJ Diesel helps get the paint party started during his Life in Color set on Saturday, Jan. 19. Photo credit: ADINAYEV

One of the vendors present was Tumbao Buns, a food truck known for its blends of latin and asian cuisines.

“Normally, it’s Wynwood Marketplace for us on weekends,” said twenty-three year old cashier Andrea Mosqueda. The truck made its move this weekend to 550 Northwest 24th St. for a bigger crowd.

The event is expected to return to Miami in 2020 for its 13th edition.

Tyler Walsh

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Canes find themselves in the mix for a couple o ...

It was May 2015, and the Miami Herald was reporting for a feature on high school football players ab ...

Deidrick Stanley had his eye on the Miami Hurricanes long before his hometown school finally offered ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ UM has only two Rivals.com five-star recruits on the ...

Even five months ago, it would’ve been hard to picture Jaylan Knighton winding up with the Miami Hur ...

A former UM professor started a company dedicated to publishing books on African-American culture, h ...

A group of School of Architecture students visited the Caribbean nation to learn about the historic ...

Faculty with the Miller School of Medicine and Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science w ...

Patricia “Trish” White, dean of the School of Law, is stepping down at the end of the academic year. ...

At the annual Hug the Lake, sustainability manager Teddy Lhoutellier was honored for improving the e ...

Michael Amditis tied a career-high with three hits and a homer to help the #24 Canes sweep FIU. ...

Miami earns sixth seed in Cle Elum Regional, hosted by the University of Washington. ...

The Hurricanes will open an eight-game homestand with a midweek matchup against crosstown FIU on Wed ...

Talking Track is a series that features current members of the Miami track and field program, while ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame announced that Trajan Bandy is the 26th recipient of the ...