Community, Edge, Music

Diplo, DJ Diesel Headline Life In Color Miami

EDM fans flocked to Wynwood Saturday, Jan. 19 to attend the 12th edition of Life in Color Miami, held at the Royal Crown Cola Plant.

This year’s headliners included Diplo, What So Not, and DJ Diesel (aka NBA veteran Shaquille O’Neal).

LIC-Miami-Family-Photo.png

Performer DJ Diesel takes a "family photo" with festival attendees and friend Brian Bayati during his Life in Color set. Photo credit: ADINAYEV

“The girls in front of me kept saying they only wanted to see Diplo,” said University of Miami freshman Monica Arango.

They got their wish around 10:45 p.m. Diplo was the last performer of the night, ending the day with hits of his own, such as his hit collaboration with Silk City and Dua Lipa, “Electricity,” and other popular radio hits such as Sheck Wes’ “Mo Bamba.”

The event was sponsored by energy drink company “Bang” and ran from 5 p.m. until midnight, with performers and attendees alike drenching themselves in blue, orange, pink, purple and yellow paint, living up to the advertiser’s promise of “The World’s Largest Paint Party.”

3W0A0778-4.jpg

Life in Color Miami attendees get blasted with paint during What So Not's 9:45 P.M. performance. Photo credit: ADINAYEV

“I love spending time with my friends,” said UM student Jessica Ripes. She explained that though getting to the event with her friends was stressful, it all paid off.

The paint party also featured an array of food trucks from french fries to cultural masterpieces.

3W0A0132-4.jpg

DJ Diesel helps get the paint party started during his Life in Color set on Saturday, Jan. 19. Photo credit: ADINAYEV

One of the vendors present was Tumbao Buns, a food truck known for its blends of latin and asian cuisines.

“Normally, it’s Wynwood Marketplace for us on weekends,” said twenty-three year old cashier Andrea Mosqueda. The truck made its move this weekend to 550 Northwest 24th St. for a bigger crowd.

The event is expected to return to Miami in 2020 for its 13th edition.

Tyler Walsh

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

Mark Walton, the former University of Miami star football player and current Cincinnati Bengal, was ...

Don Chaney Jr. says his recruitment is over and the way he talks about the Miami Hurricanes, it’s ea ...

Miami Law’s Frances Hill answers key questions about the National Emergencies Act. ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Hours after garnering espnW National Player of the Week distinction, Emese Hof of the Miami women ...

For the second straight Monday, a member of the Miami women's basketball team has earned a nati ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team moved up two spots on Monday's leaderboard at t ...