Campus Life, News

‘What Matters to U’ planning committee announces date for new interactive discussion series

Final.png

Graphic courtesy What Matters to U

The planning committee for What Matters to U, an interactive discussion series, announced Jan. 14 that their inaugural event will be held Feb. 7 in the Shalala Student Center Ballrooms.

Keegan Gibson, the chair of the planning committee and a junior biomedical engineering student at the University of Miami, said the idea for a new discussion series arose after the committee members realized the need for an event on campus that personally engaged students.

Gibson said they wanted to introduce speakers who not only taught through a lecture, but who also interacted with students and answered their questions.

“Part of going to college is having the opportunity to see really cool, high profile speakers and we want to bring that here to the University of Miami,” said Gibson. “We wanted to do so in a way that wasn’t just the typical lecture, we wanted to do so in a really unique way.”

The committee worked throughout the summer to decide on a speaker that coincided with the objectives it created in conjunction with UM President Julio Frenk and Senior Vice Provost and Dean of Undergraduate Education William Scott Green. Members said their main goal was to find someone who would pique the interest of UM students while also touching on global issues.

“We really thought, what do students want to talk about and not to play on the title but what matters to them,” said Gibson. “We wanted to think of who can address these topics, but also who is someone that has a stage presence and someone that has a platform that can address these topics.”

Two student moderators have been chosen and will be announced at a date closer to the event. The moderators will be tasked with connecting the speaker to the audience and facilitating the conversation.

Students will have an opportunity before the event to submit questions online, giving them the power to steer the discussion.

Jack Camoratto, a member of the planning committee and senior biomedical engineering student, said there’s lots of excitement among the few people who know the identity of the first speaker.

“This is an event the student body does not want to miss,” said Camoratto. “I wish we could tear down the walls of the ballroom and make it three times the size. I feel bad for anyone who can’t get their hands on a ticket.”

Space will be limited to around 1000 seats. Tickets will be distributed through Eventbrite on the What Matters to U Facebook page starting Jan. 28 at 12 p.m. Giveaways in the weeks leading up to the event for upgraded seats and opportunities for a VIP meet and greet will also be posted on the Facebook page.

Olivia Ginsberg

The Asa Martin era for the Miami Hurricanes might be coming to an end just six months after it began ...

Avantae Williams and Lorenzo Lingard punctuated Paradise Camp with a chest bump. The Miami Hurricane ...

Sebastian the Ibis of the University of Miami displayed tremendous defense in leading the Pizza Hut ...

June is one of the most important months in the recruiting calendar and the Miami Hurricanes finishe ...

A six-pack of notes from UM’s annual Paradise Camp on Saturday: ▪ Few Canes greats have as unique a ...

Alumna Lauren Crotty reflects on her undergraduate experience and the path that lead her to signing ...

The U.S. women’s national soccer team, competing for the World Cup in France, is entrenched in a cou ...

In the first course of its kind on a college campus, faculty, staff, and students will learn if they ...

University of Miami Libraries is working to establish a University archive of LGBTQ materials. ...

University of Miami football players and coaches mentored area youth at a free football clinic in Ho ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team earned All-ACC Academic Team distinction, as anno ...

Eight Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the conference with selections to the Track an ...

UM forward Dewan Hernandez was selected 59th overall by the Toronto Raptors in the 2019 NBA Draft. ...

Franco Aubone and Francisco Bastias of the University of Miami men's tennis team were selected ...

The ACC Network is set to launch August 22. If your television provider hasn't yet decided to c ...