Basketball, Sports

Hurricanes pick up historic win over Blue Devils

Miami coach Katie Meier had an illustrious playing career at Duke. Meier is the Blue Devils’ seventh leading scorer and was inducted into the Duke Hall of Honor in 2002.

However, on Thursday evening, Meier and her squad accomplished something never done before by the Hurricanes against the Blue Devils.

Redshirt junior Beatrice Mompremier led Miami past Duke 58-50 for the first win in program history against the Blue Devils at Cameron Indoor Stadium.

After missing Miami’s previous game because of a family matter, Mompremier notched her conference leading 13th double-double, scoring 16 points and grabbing 17 rebounds.

“What a performance by a young lady who is really going through it right now,” Meier said. “This game was about how do we help her heal. It touches your heart.”

Duke (8-8, 0-4 ACC) led 41-38 heading into the fourth quarter, but Miami (15-4, 4-1 ACC) didn’t go away. Mompremier and Emese Hof sparked a lopsided 20-9 fourth quarter advantage, including a 13-3 run to end the contest.

Neither team led by more than one possession throughout the second half until the closing minutes.

Hof reached the 1,000-point plateau, tallying 13 points to go along with seven rebounds. The 6-foot-3 forward became the 27th player in program history to reach quadruple digits.

“I thought Emese was fantastic, just taking the game over,” Meier said.

With Miami leading 52-48 with 38 seconds remaining, Hof put the game out of reach. The senior knocked down a one-handed, turnaround jumper as the shot clock expired to extend the Hurricanes’ lead to six.

“It’s actually kind of funny,” Hof said. “We had one second on the clock and we were talking about whether to throw the ball away…So, I just shot it toward the basket. It went in. I didn’t really think it was in time, but I’m glad it was.”

UM guard Mykea Gray chipped in 12 points in the victory.

Freshman guard Miela Goodchild led Duke with 13 points, including a trio of three-pointers. Forward Leaonna Odom added 11 points and eight rebounds.

The Blue Devils’ leading scorer, redshirt junior Haley Gorecki, missed 10 of her 12 shots, but made her presence felt by dishing out five assists and securing nine rebounds.

Miami stifled Duke on the offensive end, holding the Blue Devils to just 34 percent from the floor.

However, the Blue Devils’ matchup zone defense created problems for Hurricanes’ of their own, causing 23 turnovers.

“We turned it over like it was our job in the first half,” Meier said. “Duke had a really good game plan. It took us a long time to figure out who we were and how to get the ball to the right people, but I thought our fourth quarter execution was brilliant.”

Next, Miami returns to the Watsco Center to face Duke’s biggest rival, the North Carolina Tar Heels on Sunday. Tipoff is scheduled for 2:30 p.m.

Justin Sobelman

The University of Miami spring game will not be televised or streamed live on the Internet at noon S ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Who were UM’s standouts this spring, heading into Sa ...

As the Miami Hurricanes have spent the spring trying to find answers to question after question on o ...

Navaughn Donaldson knew one thing mattered above all when he was forced to start playing center ahea ...

This spring hasn’t been easy for Miami redshirt sophomore Tate Martell, the former Ohio State quarte ...

There are numerous ways to connect with the University of Miami during the two-day tech conference o ...

A symbol of both French heritage and Catholicism, Paris’ 850-year-old gothic cathedral was gutted by ...

The Division of Student Affairs hosted a reception to present campus-wide awards and scholarships to ...

The University of Miami celebrates Earth Day with a host of activities at or near the Lakeside Patio ...

The nation’s oldest and most-widely known academic honor society inducted 45 students from the Colle ...

Miami Athletics has become one of the leaders nationally in developing its sports psychology departm ...

No. 42 Adria Soriano Barrera collects top-25 victory against No. 21 Alexis Galarneau ...

Check out the UM Department of Athletics' e-magazine for April. ...

The Canes made a late charge, but fell short at No. 8 Louisville 7-5 ...

The fifth-seeded Miami women's tennis team advanced to play fourth-seeded NC State Friday at 3 ...