Basketball, Commentary, Cover, Sports

ACC Predictions: UM faces a pair of teams from the Tar Heel State

7 p.m. Jan. 17 – Miami @ Duke

After the Hurricanes’ first Atlantic Coast Conference loss against Clemson, Miami heads to North Carolina to face the Duke Blue Devils.

Entering its fourth ACC game of the season, Duke (8-7, 0-3 ACC) has failed to secure a conference victory in 2019. Despite their disheartening ACC record, the Blue Devils are 5-1 at home and their lone loss was to No. 4 Louisville.

Duke is led by redshirt junior guard Haley Gorecki, one of the ACC’s top scorers, averaging 17.1 points per game. She is also second on the team with 6.0 rebounds per contest.

Back in the 2017-18 season, the Hurricanes defeated the No. 14 Blue Devils 51-48 at the Watsco Center.

UM coach Katie Meier returns to Cameron Indoor Stadium, looking to lead Miami to its first win over Duke in program history. Meier, who was inducted in the Duke Hall of Honor in 2002, is one of the most accomplished Blue Devils ever. Meier was the 1986 ACC Rookie of the Year, a 1990 First Team All-ACC selection and a four-time All-ACC Academic Team pick.

The Canes (14-4, 2-1 ACC) will have to rely on their two post players, Emese Hof and Beatrice Mompremier, to out-rebound the relatively smaller Duke squad. Miami has averaged 43.3 rebounds per game compared to Duke’s 37.9.

Both teams will definitely score more than last season, but the end result will be the same.

Prediction: Miami 72 – Duke 66

2:30 p.m. Jan 20 – Miami vs. North Carolina

While the Hurricanes head home to Coral Gables, they aren’t done with teams from North Carolina.

North Carolina is having a very similar season to its instate rival, Duke. Playing just two more games than the Blue Devils, the Tar Heels and have not won a conference game this year.  They also lost to No. 4 Louisville, 73-66. Adding onto their dreadful conference record, they are 1-4 on the road in 2018-19.

But, unlike Duke, UNC (9-8, 0-3 ACC) has a center that can match up to Hof and Mompremier. Sophomore Janelle Bailey has shined in her second year leading the Tar Heels in points and rebounds. With 17 points per game and 8.9 rebounds per game, the 6-foot-4 center has shown she can make an impact on both ends of the court.

Miami still has the advantage with two veteran centers, as well as home court advantage. It will be closer than Duke, but the Canes will be able to secure the victory at the Watsco Center to make it four straight wins over the Heels.

Prediction: Miami 67 – North Carolina 64

Maxwell Trink

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Canes find themselves in the mix for a couple o ...

It was May 2015, and the Miami Herald was reporting for a feature on high school football players ab ...

Deidrick Stanley had his eye on the Miami Hurricanes long before his hometown school finally offered ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ UM has only two Rivals.com five-star recruits on the ...

Even five months ago, it would’ve been hard to picture Jaylan Knighton winding up with the Miami Hur ...

A former UM professor started a company dedicated to publishing books on African-American culture, h ...

A group of School of Architecture students visited the Caribbean nation to learn about the historic ...

Faculty with the Miller School of Medicine and Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science w ...

Patricia “Trish” White, dean of the School of Law, is stepping down at the end of the academic year. ...

At the annual Hug the Lake, sustainability manager Teddy Lhoutellier was honored for improving the e ...

The Hurricanes will open an eight-game homestand with a midweek matchup against crosstown FIU on Wed ...

Talking Track is a series that features current members of the Miami track and field program, while ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame announced that Trajan Bandy is the 26th recipient of the ...

Stone played in 85 career games at University of Florida. ...

The Miami women's tennis team continued its ascent up the national rankings Tuesday, moving up ...