Cover, Football, Sports

Miami Hurricanes QB N’Kosi Perry’s social media struggles continue

A sexually explicit video posted on Hurricanes quarterback N’Kosi Perry’s Snapchat story had University of Miami students talking and sharing the post during the final weeks of the semester, but on Friday the UM Athletics Department would only acknowledge that the salacious 10-second video was “inappropriate” and would not confirm if Perry was in the video.

“We are aware of an inappropriate video posted on a social media account associated with one of our student-athletes,” a UM spokesman said in an statement to The Miami Hurricane. “The video has been removed and the posting has been addressed with the student-athlete. We will continue to be committed to high standards of conduct at UM.”

The Miami Hurricane reached out for additional comments, but the UM spokesperson declined the request.

The video appears to show two nude people having sex. It was posted on Perry’s Snapchat within 15 hours after the Hurricanes’ 49-24 victory over the Toledo Rockets on Sept. 15. However, a screen recording of his Snapchat story from that day resurfaced among the Miami student body in late November.

Some students say the other person in the video is a UM female, but The Miami Hurricane could not confirm this information.

The Hurricanes are in the midst of preparing to take on the Wisconsin Badgers in the Pinstripe Bowl on Dec. 27 at Yankee Stadium. UM confirmed that Perry will be traveling with the team on Saturday, but would not confirm whether Perry will play in the game.

In past seasons, players who travel to bowl games are not suspended for the game. Miami coach Mark Richt announced the suspensions of seven players four days before the 2016 Russell Athletic Bowl “for failing to meet the standards of expectations set by the program.” None of those players traveled with the team.

This is not the first time a video posted to Perry’s social media accounts has caught peoples’ attention.

In late October, the redshirt freshman posted a video, on his Instagram account, riding in a car with a large sum of money in his lap.

“It’s been addressed,” Richt said about the video in the car. “He didn’t break any laws. He didn’t break any NCAA rules. He’s in good standing, but the image is not good. We don’t like that. He’s just got to be more mature and more wise with what he does.”

The 6-foot-4 quarterback has faced scrutiny on and off the field this year. The Ocala, Florida native—who started six games including the last three contests—has thrown for 1,089 yards and 13 touchdowns in 10 appearances.

Perry, who was suspended for the Hurricanes’ season opener due to a violation of undisclosed team rules, isn’t the only UM quarterback this year who has failed to stay out of trouble.

Fellow redshirt freshman Cade Weldon served a four-game suspension in the middle of the season and freshman Jarren Williams was also suspended for one game against Virginia Tech.

“Sometimes kids just want to do what everybody else is doing,” Richt said. “There’s a bunch of kids that are acting like they’ve got a bunch of money on Snapchat and there may be 20,000 kids doing it, but they don’t play quarterback at Miami. They’ve just got to understand that it’s different for them because people know who they are.”

Added Richt: “I think if everybody was really honest with themselves and kind of looked back at the time when you were that age, if everybody knew everything you did, there’d probably be some embarrassing moments. But the quarterback position, I expect more. We’re going to demand more.”

If Perry misses the Pinstripe Bowl, redshirt senior Malik Rosier would likely get the start at quarterback. Rosier began the year as the starter, but was benched off and on throughout the year for Perry. Rosier finished the regular season throwing for 1,000y hards with six touchdowns and five interceptions.

Josh White

Kay-Ann Henry

Coco Rominger

The Miami Hurricanes may have found their future quarterback. Tate Martell, a former four-star recru ...

At 7:27 p.m Tuesday, University of Miami football coach Manny Diaz tweeted a GIF of a swirling Hurri ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ As Miami awaits decisions from its potential 2019 qua ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday night: ▪ FIU has decided that its Nov. 23 football game agains ...

Dewan Hernandez hit another NCAA roadblock on Monday, but the University of Miami forward will take ...

Gisela Vega, the former associate director of LGBTQA Initiatives at Florida International University ...

With new “personas” allowing for a more personalized mobile experience, the redesigned University of ...

Teams of scholars will use U-LINK grants to examine ways to reduce opportunity gaps and biases in mu ...

The film launches the 2019 film series for the UM Libraries Cuban Heritage Collection. ...

Here’s a go-to list of dates you should keep an eye on throughout the semester, along with some tidb ...

University of Miami head women's volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara announced Monda ...

The University of Miami football program has hired Dan Enos as its offensive coordinator and quarter ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

After a weekend bye, the Miami women's basketball team resumes action Thursday evening at 7 p.m ...

Pictures from the No. 17 Miami women's tennis team's season-opening action in the Miami Sp ...