Cover, Football, Sports

Miami Hurricanes QB N’Kosi Perry’s social media struggles continue

A sexually explicit video posted on Hurricanes quarterback N’Kosi Perry’s Snapchat story had University of Miami students talking and sharing the post during the final weeks of the semester, but on Friday the UM Athletics Department would only acknowledge that the salacious 10-second video was “inappropriate” and would not confirm if Perry was in the video.

“We are aware of an inappropriate video posted on a social media account associated with one of our student-athletes,” a UM spokesman said in an statement to The Miami Hurricane. “The video has been removed and the posting has been addressed with the student-athlete. We will continue to be committed to high standards of conduct at UM.”

The Miami Hurricane reached out for additional comments, but the UM spokesperson declined the request.

The video appears to show two nude people having sex. It was posted on Perry’s Snapchat within 15 hours after the Hurricanes’ 49-24 victory over the Toledo Rockets on Sept. 15. However, a screen recording of his Snapchat story from that day resurfaced among the Miami student body in late November.

Some students say the other person in the video is a UM female, but The Miami Hurricane could not confirm this information.

The Hurricanes are in the midst of preparing to take on the Wisconsin Badgers in the Pinstripe Bowl on Dec. 27 at Yankee Stadium. UM confirmed that Perry will be traveling with the team on Saturday, but would not confirm whether Perry will play in the game.

In past seasons, players who travel to bowl games are not suspended for the game. Miami coach Mark Richt announced the suspensions of seven players four days before the 2016 Russell Athletic Bowl “for failing to meet the standards of expectations set by the program.” None of those players traveled with the team.

This is not the first time a video posted to Perry’s social media accounts has caught peoples’ attention.

In late October, the redshirt freshman posted a video, on his Instagram account, riding in a car with a large sum of money in his lap.

“It’s been addressed,” Richt said about the video in the car. “He didn’t break any laws. He didn’t break any NCAA rules. He’s in good standing, but the image is not good. We don’t like that. He’s just got to be more mature and more wise with what he does.”

The 6-foot-4 quarterback has faced scrutiny on and off the field this year. The Ocala, Florida native—who started six games including the last three contests—has thrown for 1,089 yards and 13 touchdowns in 10 appearances.

Perry, who was suspended for the Hurricanes’ season opener due to a violation of undisclosed team rules, isn’t the only UM quarterback this year who has failed to stay out of trouble.

Fellow redshirt freshman Cade Weldon served a four-game suspension in the middle of the season and freshman Jarren Williams was also suspended for one game against Virginia Tech.

“Sometimes kids just want to do what everybody else is doing,” Richt said. “There’s a bunch of kids that are acting like they’ve got a bunch of money on Snapchat and there may be 20,000 kids doing it, but they don’t play quarterback at Miami. They’ve just got to understand that it’s different for them because people know who they are.”

Added Richt: “I think if everybody was really honest with themselves and kind of looked back at the time when you were that age, if everybody knew everything you did, there’d probably be some embarrassing moments. But the quarterback position, I expect more. We’re going to demand more.”

If Perry misses the Pinstripe Bowl, redshirt senior Malik Rosier would likely get the start at quarterback. Rosier began the year as the starter, but was benched off and on throughout the year for Perry. Rosier finished the regular season throwing for 1,000y hards with six touchdowns and five interceptions.

Josh White

TCU coach Gary Patterson doesn’t like the way college football is trending when it comes to transfer ...

Oklahoma has its Oklahoma Drills. But the fired-up U has its own version of major college football p ...

Day Three of University of Miami football practice media viewing Friday inside the Carol Soffer Indo ...

Three-point defense isn’t enough of a weakness for the Miami Hurricanes to call it a full-fledged Ac ...

Shaquille Quarterman waited less than 24 hours after Michael Pinckney announced he was returning for ...

The University of Miami community gathered to remember the victims of the deadly New Zealand mosque ...

Culminating "an awesome, institution-wide effort," the Miller School of Medicine is celebr ...

Activist Claudio Rojas was featured in a documentary film, “The Infiltrators,” which is critical of ...

Associate professors William Pestle and Kathleen Sullivan Sealey traveled with students over spring ...

Muslim Students of the University of Miami will hold a prayer service at 12:45 p.m. Friday at the La ...

The fourth-seeded Miami women's basketball team opens NCAA Tournament play on its home court fo ...

University of Miami redshirt sophomore Alicia Blagg saved her best for last at the 2019 NCAA Swimmin ...

In a battle between two of the ACC's best pitchers, No. 5 NC State mustered a fifth-inning rall ...

The Hurricanes top Duke, 4-3, to improve to 6-0 in conference action. ...

The Miami track and field team concluded day one of the Power 5 Trailblazer Challenge competing in t ...