Cover, Football, Sports

Miami set for rematch against Wisconsin in Pinstripe Bowl

_DSC8576.jpg

Miami is 1-1 in bowl games under coach Mark Richt, including a 31-14 win over West Virginia in the 2016 Russell Athletic bowl. Photo credit: Josh White

Start spreadin’ the news. The Miami Hurricanes are heading to the Big Apple.

On Sunday, Dec. 2, Miami accepted a bid to play in the Pinstripe Bowl against the Wisconsin Badgers. The Hurricanes and the Badgers will kickoff at 5:15 p.m. Dec. 27 at Yankee Stadium with the contest televised on ESPN.

“The bowls are interesting in that it’s the finish of this year and it’s kind of the beginning of next year,” Hurricanes coach Mark Richt said. “So, it’s very meaningful to our seniors. Obviously, it’ll be the last game that they’ll wear that uniform and wear the ‘U’ on their helmet. But it’s also important for our young guys, too, to have a great performance working ourselves into the offseason and into next year. It’s big for a lot of reasons.”

Last season, Wisconsin defeated Miami 34-24 in the Orange Bowl at Hard Rock Stadium. Less than one year later, the Hurricanes will have the opportunity to avenge that loss and cap off a turbulent season with a three-game winning streak.

“We know Wisconsin is a very good team, played them last year, obviously and didn’t get it done,” Richt said. “We know they’re an outstanding team and we believe we are too, so, I think it’ll be a great matchup.”

Wisconsin (7-5, 5-4 Big Ten) and Miami (7-5, 4-4 ACC) both started the season ranked in the Associated Press Top 25. The Badgers checked in at No. 4, four spots ahead of the Hurricanes, in the preseason poll.

“Neither season went the way either team had planned at the beginning of the year,” Miami Director of Athletics Blake James said. “This is an opportunity to bring two great programs together and have another shot to see who’s going to end the season with eight victories.”

Most postseason prognosticators expected Miami would likely remain in Florida and play in the Gator Bowl on New Year’s Eve in Jacksonville. However, last-minute bowl reshuffling slotted the Syracuse Orange in the Camping World Bowl—rather than the previously projected Pinstripe Bowl—and North Carolina State ended up in the Gator Bowl, ultimately sending the Hurricanes to the Pinstripe Bowl, another one of the ACC’s Tier 1 Bowl Games.

Yet, James believes a game against Wisconsin in New York will drive Miami fans to watch their beloved Hurricanes. New York City has the most Miami alumni outside of South Florida with 11,800 former UM students living in the area.

“That northeast corridor, I think we’ll have a lot of people that will be excited to have us up there and they’ll come out,” James said. “I think our alumni and fan base really will be excited to be there and what’s not to be excited about? It’ll be a great game against a great institution and football program and one hosted by a world-class organization.”

The bowl berth marks Miami’s sixth consecutive postseason appearances and its third straight under Richt. The Hurricanes have gone 2-8 in their last 10 bowl games, including a 31-14 victory over West Virginia in the 2016 Russell Athletic Bowl under Richt — their first bowl victory in a decade.

“I’m sure a lot of our guys have never been to New York and they’ll get to see some things they’ve never seen,” Richt said. “I’m sure there will be a lot of events and experiences these guys will be able to have that maybe they wouldn’t have had the chance to have. I think that’s important. Just getting the chance to play another game is huge and hopefully, guys will benefit from it.”

Miami has not played in a bowl game in New York since it lost to Nebraska 35-34 in the 1962 Gotham Bowl. ACC teams are 1-3 all-time in the Pinstripe Bowl since it was established in 2010.

Josh White

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Coach Manny Diaz said the quarterback race among Ta ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...