George H.W. Bush and how his politics could save America

This past week we lost a war hero, public servant, and the 41st President of the United States, George H.W. Bush. Though he began his presidency almost three decades ago, in this short historical period, American politics have changed drastically.

Political polarization is the new norm both within our government and in our public discourse. Our two political parties view themselves as diabolically opposed to each other, directly competing for the hearts and minds of the American public. Agreeing or working with the other side is seen as treason. When one party holds the most power, the other party is expected to obstruct rather than govern. There is no compromise. There is one winner and one loser. This degree of polarization casts serious doubt over the future health of our democracy. However, George Bush defied this dysfunction with the way in which he governed and lived his life. As perhaps the last American President to do so, his actions may provide a framework for how we can fix our democracy.

Bush passed a tax bill in 1990 in a manner that would be unthinkable in the present-day. In the midst of a temporary government shutdown, the Republican Bush sided with congressional Democrats to outweigh the opposition coming from his own party and pass a tax bill that would eventually be viewed as a success in helping turn the budget deficit into a surplus several years later. Yet, any tax hike will be unpopular and this was only magnified by opposition coming from his own party by people as powerful as the future Speaker of the House, Newt Gingrich. As such, passing this bill and the manner in which he did it ultimately cost him re-election in 1994.

We should not view this as a failure; rather we should commend such courage. It is not the job of a president to be re-elected. It’s his job to govern in a way that best serves the interests of the country, not in a way that best serves his approval rating. Sometimes that may mean raising taxes and Bush had the tremendous courage to do so despite committing the equivalent of political suicide. When leaders from his own party withdrew support for his tax plan, Bush did not budge; instead, he reached across the aisle and worked with the other party to create a plan that was both a compromise and the best way forward for the country. He put country over party. He placed his responsibility to govern over the preservation of party unity, just as an elected official should.

Bush’s last act in office was leaving a letter for his successor who had just beat him in re-election in which he told 42nd president Bill Clinton: “Your success is now our country’s success, I am rooting hard for you.” This was not some typical, superficial talk coming from one politician to another hoping to create a good visual. Bush was being entirely genuine. He pushed aside political consideration, instead choosing to serve with the intent of creating a better America and better world.

Ryan Steinberg is a junior majoring in political science.

Ryan Steinberg

Anthony Solomon will head north for his college football career. The St. Thomas Aquinas linebacker a ...

A day after naming Ephraim Banda and Jonathan Patke co-defensive coordinators, the Miami Hurricanes ...

It doesn’t matter if the number is actually 21 or it’s just what Jeremiah Payton estimates now. Twen ...

The Miami Hurricanes didn’t waste long to find their replacements for Manny Diaz at defensive coordi ...

The Miami Hurricanes will have to try to get revenge on the Wisconsin Badgers without perhaps their ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team turned in another stellar defensive performance Sun ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The Hurricanes hosted their annual Football Awards Show Saturday at Gusman Hall, honoring the 2018 S ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team will conclude its three-game homestand Sunday at 1 ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...